• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,058 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:50 AM

This obviously isn't a tech forum, but most guys there don't know what they're talking anyways about so I'm just gonna explain what has happened and see if anyone can help.

I wake up with a text from my sister saying I'm spending spam email. I check my emails and I definitely was. First thing I did was change my email password, and that was the end of that, or at least I thought.

I was going through my texts from last night, and most of them didn't have contact information, as in the contact has been deleted and it just showed their number. After going through my contacts, multiple random contacts have been added, and any contact added in the last several months were gone. Horrible. I'm now wondering if any texts were sent by my phone. I hope I can recover any important contacts when I reset my phone.

I'm not sure if anything else has been done, but I'm going to reset my phone and see what happens from there. I'm fully aware of phishing sites, and how I might have accidentally fallen for one, but I've been doing everything on my phone for the last two weeks. I've checked my Wells Fargo and Chase banking apps, and those haven't been touched, thankfully.

My computer hasn't even been on for quite a while now. I was sent the IP Address by Yahoo of the guy who signed on my account.

Any help here is greatly appreciated, starting with how I can get my contacts back.

#2 j0k3r

j0k3r

Rookie

• 302 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Shaq, KOBE

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:08 PM

back up your contacts to iTunes..then reset it to factory setting..then just restore it from itunes..make sure you change your bank passwords since you did sign on into them..you don't want to risk anything..this might be helpful..sorry if its not 

#3 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,346 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:47 PM

This obviously isn't a tech forum, but most guys there don't know what they're talking anyways about so I'm just gonna explain what has happened and see if anyone can help.

I wake up with a text from my sister saying I'm spending spam email. I check my emails and I definitely was. First thing I did was change my email password, and that was the end of that, or at least I thought.

I was going through my texts from last night, and most of them didn't have contact information, as in the contact has been deleted and it just showed their number. After going through my contacts, multiple random contacts have been added, and any contact added in the last several months were gone. Horrible. I'm now wondering if any texts were sent by my phone. I hope I can recover any important contacts when I reset my phone.

I'm not sure if anything else has been done, but I'm going to reset my phone and see what happens from there. I'm fully aware of phishing sites, and how I might have accidentally fallen for one, but I've been doing everything on my phone for the last two weeks. I've checked my Wells Fargo and Chase banking apps, and those haven't been touched, thankfully.

My computer hasn't even been on for quite a while now. I was sent the IP Address by Yahoo of the guy who signed on my account.

Any help here is greatly appreciated, starting with how I can get my contacts back.

iPhone user the same thing happened to me about a year ago. With my yahoo email.

It sent everyone in my contacts/ contacts history spam emails.

Awkward talking to people you haven't talked to forever.

Mine was some weight loss drug spam. lol

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#4 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,058 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:57 PM

iPhone user the same thing happened to me about a year ago. With my yahoo email.

Damn. Did you just change your password and that was the end of it?

Emails were sent to my boss and coworkers, and many family members. My sister got the email but for my dad it ended up in his spam folder. Hopefully my boss' email has the same settings as my dads, and she didn't see it lol

#5 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:58 PM

I had that happen to me with the email thing. I just changed my password to something more secure. But for your iPhone, the best thing to do is sync all your contacts then do a restore.

Posted Image

#6 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:58 PM

It's pretty rare for your whole iPhone to get compromised. It was probably just your Yahoo email which then synced its contacts to your phone. Just make sure your email account is secure again and you should be good to go. 

#7 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,346 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Damn. Did you just change your password and that was the end of it?

Emails were sent to my boss and coworkers, and many family members. My sister got the email but for my dad it ended up in his spam folder. Hopefully my boss' email has the same settings as my dads, and she didn't see it lol

I did.

I think you should be good now.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#8 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,058 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:39 AM

It's pretty rare for your whole iPhone to get compromised. It was probably just your Yahoo email which then synced its contacts to your phone. Just make sure your email account is secure again and you should be good to go.

Yeah I figured. Thanks for the help fellas, mods can lock this up if they want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users