• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:11 AM

Shaw Turned Down Offer To Coach Bobcats, Still Waiting For Right Opportunity
Mar 15, 2013 11:26 AM EDT

Shaw_Brian_nba_120523.jpg

Brian Shaw turned down an offer to coach the Charlotte Bobcats, who currently hold the NBA’s worst record.

"I want to be in a situation where I have a chance," Shaw said. "Usually when you come into your first head coaching job, you don't get to dictate what the situation is going to be. But you want a chance and an organization that has a game plan going forward that's sustainable and where you have some pieces of value where you can put things together and get on the fast track."

Shaw also interviewed for vacant head coaching positions during the offseason with the Portland Trail Blazers and Orlando Magic.

"I'm perceived as just a triangle guy," Shaw said. "I have conversations with Phil [Jackson] and I said, 'I thought working for you and playing for you would be my biggest asset going into interviews. Actually it's been my biggest liability.'

"We've laughed about it. He's said to me on more than one occasion, 'It's best for you to distance yourself from me and our system.' "

Shaw has spent the past two seasons as the Indiana Pacers' associate coach, partly serving as a mentor for head coach Frank Vogel.

"When he gets an opportunity," Vogel said, "he's going to be a coach of the year candidate every single year."

#2 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

Canada, eh?

• 1,306 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Shaw > D'Antoni

#3 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:19 AM

It's messed up...we would of been a top 3 seed if we had Shaw.

#4 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 817 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:32 AM

good decision by him

if he would've gone for it he'd be fired after a bad season and a bad rep as a coach

#5 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,618 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Waiting for D'Antoni to get fired this offseason. If the Buss family wants to get back in the good graces of Los Angelinos (and Laker fans everywhere), replacing Pringles with Shaw would be a good start. Guarantee Dwight would love that move.

#6 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,832 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted March 15, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Shaw > D'Antoni

Randy Pfund, Del Harris, Kurt Rambis, Mike Dunleavy>Dantoni

#7 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 15, 2013 - 12:31 PM

He's smart, he knows if he takes that job he'll be fired in 2 years because the Bobcats will still suck, kind of like Rambis in Minny. 

#8 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,888 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 15, 2013 - 02:29 PM

He's smart, he knows if he takes that job he'll be fired in 2 years because the Bobcats will still suck, kind of like Rambis in Minny. 

Exactly. No one can make that team good. Its management is horrible and they never get good players and good player dont want to go there. Thats the kind of team that should just give up and sell. MJ ruined that team for ever

#9 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,895 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:40 PM

A couple more months and the Lakers can boot D'Antoni out and get Shaw in here where he should be and the Lakers can right the ship quickly.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,199 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:00 AM

So going by tonight do we give Shaw credit for their offense or their defense?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#11 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,618 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:33 AM

So going by tonight do we give Shaw credit for their offense or their defense?

We give him credit for helping out the Lakers by leaving our shooters open, because he knows he wants to coach this team next year ;)

#12 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,979 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Come back, Shaw.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#13 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 16, 2013 - 01:44 PM

So are you rooting for a failed ring run in order to get Shaw? Or as real fans, do you "obviously" root for us to win it all but ship MDA's ass anyway?

#14 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted March 16, 2013 - 09:15 PM

So are you rooting for a failed ring run in order to get Shaw? Or as real fans, do you "obviously" root for us to win it all but ship MDA's ass anyway?

In a perfect world, MDA gets booted even if we win the ring because the front office has an epiphany. Good (but painful) case, we make a good run into the playoffs and get eliminated due to blatantly poor coaching, and he's gone. Bad case, D'Antoni stays even if we are a first round exit. 

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,199 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 16, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Seems like the fans want the Lakers to lose because they don't want to be wrong about D'antoni and in losing are holding on to a hope that getting Shaw or Phil would make them right.

If we win a ring this year Lakers fans would sooner want him fired than give him credit because at the end of the day some Lakers fans can't stand being wrong and would rather see the team fail if it's not the way "they" invisioned it so that they can feel "right" about it.

Its the very definition of spoiled brats :)

The toy wasn't the color they wanted it so they would break the toy and throw a tantrum at their parents till they buy them the right color.

And even if they saw kids around the neighborhood having fun with that toy they'd refuse to cause it wasn't the color they wanted.

Some Lakers fans subconciously want this team to fail because it wasn't what "they" wanted and they feel that losing means they'll get their way. They are the child at Christmas that will get every present they wanted but if their parents miss ONE thing they will spend the rest of the day making their parents feel like crap about it and act like they're the ones with the problem.

That's some Lakers fans this year. Would rather watch the team suffer for the ONE present they didn't get.

Childish,immature, spoiled, but true.

When you got people saying "even if we win a ring with him I want him fired so we can get Shaw or Phil back!!" That's as spoiled and childish as it gets.

Don't know what's more unfanlike than wanting your team and coach to fail. But it is what it is.

Edited by Majesty, March 16, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#16 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,247 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:17 AM

Passing on taking over the Bobcats coaching job was the better choice imo. Chances are it would be like a Rambis like situation when he took over Minny.

These teams expect sudden improvement, w/o spending the money and making wise roster decisions, then fire the coach when they go 18-64 and miss the playoffs and wind up in the lottery again.

MJ has shown he's unwilling to really spend the money, and plus who wants to go play there anyway? Not an attractive free agent destination to begin with.

#17 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Seems like the fans want the Lakers to lose because they don't want to be wrong about D'antoni and in losing are holding on to a hope that getting Shaw or Phil would make them right.

If we win a ring this year Lakers fans would sooner want him fired than give him credit because at the end of the day some Lakers fans can't stand being wrong and would rather see the team fail if it's not the way "they" invisioned it so that they can feel "right" about it.

The toy wasn't the color they wanted it so they would break the toy and throw a tantrum at their parents till they buy them the right color.

And even if they saw kids around the neighborhood having fun with that toy they'd refuse to cause it wasn't the color they wanted.

Some Lakers fans subconciously want this team to fail because it wasn't what "they" wanted and they feel that losing means they'll get their way. They are the child at Christmas that will get every present they wanted but if their parents miss ONE thing they will spend the rest of the day making their parents feel like crap about it and act like they're the ones with the problem.

That's some Lakers fans this year. Would rather watch the team suffer for the ONE present they didn't get.

When you got people saying "even if we win a ring with him I want him fired so we can get Shaw or Phil back!!" That's as spoiled and childish as it gets.

Don't know what's more unfanlike than wanting your team and coach to fail. But it is what it is.

Antoni doesn't fit the lakers personnel.. I don't think the possibilities him coaching next year is high even if we get a ring.. But again it depends on the market ,who are we going after and then weight your options..

Mike can easily be gone if Howard relates his extension with Mike being anything but his coach, it could be..

Since I'm not anywhere close to having a hand on the decision, i guess  the front office will be evaluating this season and making the right call and hopefully third time is a charm.

#18 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Passing on taking over the Bobcats coaching job was the better choice imo. Chances are it would be like a Rambis like situation when he took over Minny.

These teams expect sudden improvement, w/o spending the money and making wise roster decisions, then fire the coach when they go 18-64 and miss the playoffs and wind up in the lottery again.

MJ has shown he's unwilling to really spend the money, and plus who wants to go play there anyway? Not an attractive free agent destination to begin with.

i agree 100%. Its going to take more than a coach to turn the bobcats around.
Posted Image

#19 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:19 PM

dantoni has done a bad job coaching this season. There is no reason we should be fighting for 8th seed with this roster.
Posted Image

#20 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,763 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:00 PM

If Lakers win the whole thing.

MD will not and shouldn't get credit. Its going to be because of Kobe,Dwight, etc.

MD is a terrible coach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users