Photo

Gasol Set To Return Next Week, Will Replace Clark In Lakers' Starting Lineup

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

• 40,556 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 12:51 PM

I don't like this for some reason, can't put my finger on it yet though.

Sarcasm right? Hardly anyone likes it. Most people who follow this team know & remember well the great success Pau was having in his new role off the bench before going down as opposed to when he was starting. Him & Dwight on the floor together more times than not seemingly did not work as well as one in the game at a time. We were way too slow and we couldn't make enough room on the post for both.

yo.

#22 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 14, 2013 - 01:06 PM

You can't avoid Pau/Dwight playing together unless you limit Pau to 13 minutes a night (Dwight averages 35). That's why I never bought into Pau coming off the bench making a huge difference. Pau was only able to play C for so long since Dwight was out at the time.

His return is not going to make a huge difference.

Posted Image

#23 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted March 14, 2013 - 01:42 PM

You can't avoid Pau/Dwight playing together unless you limit Pau to 13 minutes a night (Dwight averages 35). That's why I never bought into Pau coming off the bench making a huge difference. Pau was only able to play C for so long since Dwight was out at the time.

His return is not going to make a huge difference.

Biggest difference will be in his ability to defend large 4s and rebound against taller big men, something Clark could never do. 

Pau has a history of disturbing players like Blake Griffin, LA, Horford, etc.  This is going to sound crazy, but I cant wait to see Pau defending 4s rather than MWP whose only option is strip the ball.

Edited by Calisupra2nr, March 14, 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,185 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Pau is only starting because D'antoni is seeing if the time off and such and Pau's new mentality means that he'll actually double post and be aggressive.

If Pau reverts to what he did at 4 before DKantoni will sit him again. Pau's just getting one last chance at 4 after getting rest and "seeming" rejuvinated and ready to actually DO the right things.

If he doesn't Clark will start again.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#25 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Biggest difference will be in his ability to defend large 4s and rebound against taller big men, something Clark could never do. 

Pau has a history of disturbing players like Blake Griffin, LA, Horford, etc.  This is going to sound crazy, but I cant wait to see Pau defending 4s rather than MWP whose only option is strip the ball.

Pau on defense against opposing PFs has been a disaster all season. He can't any kind of PF.

Posted Image

#26 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:10 PM

NO Gasol should continue to come off the bench!!!! they haven't found a way to incorporate Howard and Gasol together yet and we need Earl Clarks Defense and rebounding!!! and Gasol plays better at the 5

#27 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:19 PM

Pau's confidence has taken a huge hit as a result of being benched. If starting can compel him to play with greater effort than he has, then it will ultimately benefit the Lakers. Hopefully the rest should have helped heal up any other lingering injuries that he had.

On an unrelated note, everyone should remember that criticisms of our own players are often excessive. Many of you think Pau plays like complete [expletive], but there are other fans that would love to have him. Believe it or not, there are people that criticize Chris Paul, Lebron, Durant, etc. 

#28 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,799 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Pau is starting cause Clark is tired.

#29 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,326 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:20 PM

I don't like this for some reason, can't put my finger on it yet though.

Clark jumper looks to still be there; but his legs & activity has taken a setback. that knee is not healthy. This is why I think Pau coming back to replace him. Cuz it really would be better for LA if Pau came off bench in place D12 once he gets his 2 dumb fouls early in 1st or from Coach D regular stuboorn rotation

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#30 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,975 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted March 14, 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'm sorry but no...Kobe has had some bad plays that have put us in holes that he has to then dig out of...ignorance is bliss tho:

"DUDE U R DUMB!! ITS ALWAYS ANTONI & EVRYONE ELSE!!"

Lets see what happens if Kobe misses time.

Then God help them...

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

• 40,556 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 04:19 PM

Pau's confidence has taken a huge hit as a result of being benched.

Not true, not true at all. Gasol was playing his best ball of the season by far since he was coming off the bench. People who actually watch all the games can tell you the same unless they're lying to themselves.

yo.

#32 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted March 14, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Not true, not true at all. Gasol was playing his best ball of the season by far since he was coming off the bench. People who actually watch all the games can tell you the same unless they're lying to themselves.

Don't imply that I don't watch the games. I haven't seen all of them due to work, but I do watch around 60-70% of the action. People on this forum get a sense of entitlement over the smallest things.

Gasol was playing well, but he was playing for more than the time Dwight was on the bench. He will still be the main center when the bench is in during the first half of the second quarter. If he is more confident and happy that he is starting, he will perform even better.  

#33 Viper

Viper

Rookie

• 455 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 05:28 PM

The coaches must want a big on the floor at all times. So Pau being in the starting lineup is going to be interesting in the terms of subs rotations.

#34 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,346 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Pau is starting cause Clark is tired.

Injured. Tired too, but most are.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

• 40,556 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Don't imply that I don't watch the games. I haven't seen all of them due to work, but I do watch around 60-70% of the action.

If you would've noticed & read carefully, clearly I said people who watch ALL the games, not some, so I wasn't exactly implying you don't watch any at all (at least I didn't intend to & apologize if you misinterpreted that way).

yo.

#36 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,447 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted March 14, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Having Pau might cause less turnovers, which somehow offsets his softness defensively.

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#37 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Pau is only starting because D'antoni is seeing if the time off and such and Pau's new mentality means that he'll actually double post and be aggressive.

If Pau reverts to what he did at 4 before DKantoni will sit him again. Pau's just getting one last chance at 4 after getting rest and "seeming" rejuvinated and ready to actually DO the right things.

If he doesn't Clark will start again.

Actually the opposite is way better, start clark until Pau proves to be able to start and benefit the team while it happens

All i see now is pressure on Clark till Pau returns and pressure on Pau to prove he deserves the starting position.

#38 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Pau has worth coming off the bench but to replace D12 and let him rest for free throws they are making him tired clunk clunk clunk clunk swish, opps, lol sad but true I had said how D12 was not the answer as he has limited post moves gets T's for reasons to exit the game early, and freethrows common man.  Clark need to step up to stay in the starting line up but playing off the bench isn't a demotion but youdo what makes your team win. Hey give Pau a double expresso, maybe he'll be better with the rest. Not holding my breath.

#39 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:17 AM

We need Pau back ASAP. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#40 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:THE BLACK MAMBA

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:59 AM

[expletive] that he should have to earn his time off the bench. People forget so quickly how bad he has been all year. 

Pau doesn't have "earn" [expletive]. He's a two time champion and all-world player. Just stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users