Photo

O.J. Mayo Could Be On Pistons' Wish List In Off-Season

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,732 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:27 PM

O+J+Mayo+Sacramento+Kings+v+Dallas+Maver

By David Mayo | dmayo@mlive.com
on March 08, 2013 at 1:45 PM, updated March 08, 2013 at 1:46 PM

O.J. Mayo is one of the most attractive unrestricted free agents on the market at shooting guard this summer and the Detroit Pistons have money to spend.  So where would Mayo rank on your Pistons' wish list?

The Mavericks guard ranks 15th in the league in 3-point percentage at a career-best 42 percent, a bit off an even hotter early-season pace.  But if Mayo can shoot 40 percent on 3-pointers, he helps a team.  He's at an age when he might be coming into his own and he certainly isn't going to exercise his $4.2 million player option this year.

Teams are going to be hot on Mayo's tail when free agency opens.  Should the Pistons be one of them?

I'll give a two-pronged answer.  One, Mayo is near the top of the wish list because the Pistons have need for his particular skill and he can provide some insurance if Jose Calderon doesn't re-sign.  Two, I'm not breaking the bank for Mayo because there are other ways to address the Pistons' various needs.  If he doesn't want to talk, then call Kevin Martin's agent next.  Or a rival general manager about a trade.  Or a college coach whose guard you might draft.

Mayo is the leading scorer on a substandard team that needs a youth infusion, played half the season without Dirk Nowitzki and has suffered in the rugged Western Conference.  The Mavs might be inclined to keep Mayo because of his scoring punch and youth but it will cost them.

Getting Mayo for a low-eight-figure salary will prove a worthwhile expenditure.  He could give the Pistons a reliable scoring presence at shooting guard and allow Brandon Knight to shift back to the point if Calderon leaves.  Mayo also could give the Pistons greater flexibility in deciding how to end Rodney Stuckey's time with them.  He's no maximum contract guy but he's certainly worth a serious bid.

It’s hard to know exactly how much the Pistons value Mayo but there’s no doubt he should be high on their list. They need to figure out what they want to do with Jose Calderon and Brandon Knight first.

But when it comes to free agents, he should be on their radar. Mayo is young (25) but has five years of experience. He’s a decent scorer with a 15.6 average per game and he’ll give you a couple of rebounds and assists per game.

The one area the Pistons really need to upgrade next season is 3-point shooting. Although he averages less than two per game, Mayo shoots a high percentage and his production obviously would increase with more opportunities.

He's certainly worth a hard look.

READER REACTION

Where does O.J. Mayo rank on your Detroit Pistons free-agent wish list?

http://www.mlive.com...day_next_t.html

#2 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,732 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 09:58 PM

O.J. Mayo Would Like To Return To Mavericks

O+J+Mayo+Dallas+Mavericks+v+Denver+Nugge

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Shooting guard O.J. Mayo, the subject of coach Rick Carlisle’s public wrath after Monday’s loss to the Memphis Grizzlies, wants to return to Dallas next season.

“Yeah, I’d like to be back here,” Mayo told reporters after Wednesday’s final shootaround of the season.

Mayo, however, said he has yet to consider whether he will exercise the player option for the second season in the contract he signed with the Mavericks last season. Mayo can opt to make a $4.2 million salary from the Mavs next season, or he can decide to test the free agency market for the second consecutive summer, perhaps signing a long-term deal with Dallas.

“I haven’t really sat down and talked to Cuban about it or my agent,” said Mayo, who has averaged 15.4 points and 4.4 assists while playing a team-high 35.6 minutes per game this season. “I think I’ll probably take a week or so off after this season and get together and meet.”

Midway through the season, it appeared that it’d be an easy decision for Mayo to test the market again. He averaged 17.9 points per game while shooting career-best percentages before the All-Star break.

But Mayo’s production has dipped drastically in the second half of the season. He’s averaging only 9.0 points per game on 38.9 percent shooting in eight April games.

Carlisle, who has made Mayo somewhat of a pet project since last summer, sounded like a disappointed parent when he called out Mayo for failing to compete in Monday’s loss. Carlisle called a timeout midway through the fourth quarter specifically to bench Mayo, who had two points and four turnovers in the loss.

Mayo claimed Wednesday that he hadn’t heard about Carlisle’s postgame criticism, which dominated the media discussion about the Mavs over the last 36 hours.

"Well, I don’t blame him," Mayo said when informed of Carlisle’s comments.

Carlisle kept his comments about Mayo brief after the final shootaround of the season: "He's ready to go. He's ready to go."

http://espn.go.com/b...to-be-back-here

#3 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,732 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:01 PM

O.J. Mayo To Opt Out Of Contract With Mavericks

O+J+Mayo+Dallas+Mavericks+v+Miami+Heat+y

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks shooting guard O.J. Mayo said he would decline the player option for the second season of his contract, deciding to become a free agent for the second consecutive summer.

Mayo, who could have returned to Dallas for $4.2 million, said he hopes to work out a long-term deal with the Mavs.

"Getting something long term, locking something in is what I think is best for me," Mayo said Thursday after his exit interview with coach Rick Carlisle and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.

Mayo, 25, averaged 15.3 points, 4.4 assists and 3.5 rebounds while playing a team-high 35.5 minutes per game. His production dipped significantly after the All-Star break, when star forward Dirk Nowitzki started to return to form after missing the first 27 games while recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Mayo, a five-year veteran and former No. 3 overall pick, has acknowledged being disappointed that a better market didn't develop for him last summer. He said he has yet to seriously consider other teams that might be a fit for him.

"I'm sure new teams have popped up on the list," Mayo said. "I need to talk to my agent [Rob Pelinka] and see what we can work out."

Carlisle said he believes Mayo made major strides as an all-around player this season and could be a foundation piece for the Mavs.

"But like everything else in this world, this is probably going to come down to money," Carlisle said. "I don't know where all that stuff stands. He had a very good year for us, so there's going to be a lot of teams interested in him."

Carlisle harshly criticized Mayo after Monday's loss to the Memphis Grizzlies, saying Mayo "failed to compete" during a two-point, four-turnover outing against his former team. However, Carlisle made it clear Thursday that his positive feelings for Mayo have not changed.

"I love O.J. as a kid, as a person," Carlisle said. "I spent more time with him this year than probably any other player I've ever had. With him, I'm a little like a Little League dad. I want him to do well so badly that sometimes it gets the better of me. But that's OK, because if you care that much, it's never a bad thing."

http://espn.go.com/d...ks-opt-contract

Come home and sign with the Lakers, O.J.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users