Photo

Pau Expected To Return Friday vs. Wizards (Updated)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,593 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 13, 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hopefully he's effective when he comes back. It'll make no difference to us if he comes back playing like how he has for much of the season.

#42 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,950 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 13, 2013 - 01:15 PM

If you buy a sports car on finance, your repayments will stay the same even though the performance and value of the car goes down.

Depreciation is a fact of life... deal with it.

Terrible analogy
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#43 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,950 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Have u ever complimented Pau? Lol

Two or three years ago iirc
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#44 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,950 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Funny how when we had Pau, 99% of our problems were blamed on him and D'Antoni. When he went out, you guys said, "We needed Pau. There goes any of our playoff hopes". Now, when we're winning, you all miss Pau and can't wait for him to come back.

Classic case of using an escape goat to centralize all of our problems, instead of assessing all of them? The way Laker fans (including me, everyone's a hypocrite) treat Pau is probably the biggest flaw of our fan base.

What you're saying is simply gross exaggeration. 99% couldn't be further from the truth since we had Mike Brown as our head coach...there's someone for your percentile. Yes D'Antoni is definitely included as well but Pau Gasol transformed into garbage long before those two coaches were even a thought. You can rest assured that I've never said we need Pau (and we don't) at least not after he began his transformation. The way he's treated IS a big flaw...just not in the way you think.
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#45 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,589 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted March 13, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Pauuuuuuu!
Posted Image

#46 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,648 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted March 13, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Reading all the post and nobody even mention that D'Antoni doesn't know how to use Pau?  I think that is a big issue. Forget about the relationships between Pau and Mike D. I just think Mike D have no idea how to use Pau. Pau is a hall of famer still in my mind but he is a totally different type of player than Dwight.  D'Antoni was hoping Jordan Hill came back instead of Pau.  It would be very interesting to see how D'Antoni uses Pau.  Very surprise none of you guys are worried about that. It seems like the fans are blaming Pau more than blaming the coach for not knowing how to use him.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#47 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,438 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted March 13, 2013 - 02:27 PM

It'll be a big help to have him back. He's still a good defender in the paint, he just gets killed in pick and roll and against power forwards who can stretch the floor. But when he can play with low post position against opposing 5's, he is effective. And we will likely have him in against the opposing teams backups for a good portion of the game, so it'll be great to have a player who can punish other teams from the inside once Dwight is out. Rested and healthy, hopefully he embraces his role. 

#48 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,959 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:30 PM

The Lakers could really use more production overall, and Pau might help in that case.

I'm not expecting much though. He's been bad all year, and now he's coming off a major injury.

Posted Image

#49 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,959 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted March 13, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Probably the biggest reason to get excited about him coming back is that maybe he'll boost his trade value this offseason by proving he's healthy.

That's very sad.

Posted Image

#50 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,364 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 13, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Im seeing a pattern...

Dwight to return the next game
Pau gets injured.
Pau to return next week
Kobe gets hurt, but he's Kobe :)
Clark got hurt too but he says he'll play Friday.

Kobe just needs to rest.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#51 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:20 PM

Actually a lot of hatred towards Pau was his inability to play the 4 and still wanting to start with Dwight or OVER Dwight. His drama causing when the team had bigger goals and his focusing on individual things. His unwillingness to double post when D'antoni would try to run it, and his creeping to the 3 point line when D'antoni would have him play the 5.

The hate on Gasol during that time was MORE than justified. People wanted him to be backup center for a while and said he'd be most effective there. Guess what. They were right.

He was playing well when we gave him the Odom role and we beat OKC with it.

We were on a roll and Dwight got hurt. So then Gasol had to start at center and played very well, so we wanted him to bring that intensity to the bench 5 and he seemed hitting a groove there. Then he went down right before Dwight came back.

The hate didn't just "disappear", Gasol"s play improved vastly when he was moved to the bench 5 which everyone was begging for.

They want him back because he'll produce more at the 5 than Jamison and will take some pressure off of Clark there(who needs some rest)

So yes he's wanted back the reason is because of what he was doing at the 5 before he went out. NO ONE wants him back as the starting power forward again and only want him to play the 4 sparingly for some high low sets with Dwight that we can get away with time to time which are effective.

Because that's what fit best, and its obvious he'd help our bench from the 5. If Gasol had still played terrible at bench 5(which no one expected) he'd still be hated.

The hate didnt flip flop, his play improved when he was put where everyone was asking him to be put and was acknowledged, just as his bad play was acknowledged when he was starting :)

Don't understand the "hate"...as if D12  and evryone else were playing at such a high level to escape the "hate".

Not really I do understand it......Ya don't play 5-6 games under 500 for most of the year based on 1 player's play.

Then I constanly read...well "he'd better do this....or he'd better do that"...what about appling those threats to Jamison, Meeks, Blake, Nash, Metta, Kobe and D12 .............

And though Pau has had foot and knee problems coming outta Camp....D12 should have come off the bench for 2-3 weeks at the start of the season and worked his way back in.

This Two 7fter "experiment" has been flawed since Bynum was here. It worked only when one of the 2 was hurt or coming off the bench

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,364 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Yep it only worked when we played sparing minutes between Gasol and Bynum and Bynum was a good back to the basket center and Gasol actually would double post with him which for some reason he refuses to do with Dwight. Bynum and Gasol had a good chemistry in 2010 before he went down because theyd both dominate the post when necessary switching off and both could knock down the mid range jumper. That and Gasol would actively move off ball and was willing to double post with Bynum. It was a different Gasol then.

The Gasol now refuses to double post, camps the 3 and doesn't move off ball nor go to post when Dwight leaves the post open for him.

Pretty much what Gasol did to Bynum near the end of last year he's doing to Dwight this year.

Thats why they don't want him at 4 anymore. Bench 5.

#53 -MagicKareemKobe-

-MagicKareemKobe-

Rookie

• 1,200 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Regardless of how non Pau like Pau had been, he was playing through that foot injury the whole season before it finally took him down. And he has better numbers than Clark. I love Clark but he's a role player.  I wish Clark was the starting SF instead of Ron.

#54 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,364 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Regardless of how non Pau like Pau had been, he was playing through that foot injury the whole season before it finally took him down. And he has better numbers than Clark. I love Clark but he's a role player. I wish Clark was the starting SF instead of Ron.

Clark's been our starting 3 since Gasol came off the bench.. :P. Metta has been the 4.

#55 -MagicKareemKobe-

-MagicKareemKobe-

Rookie

• 1,200 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Ron should play minor minutes, is what i'm getting at. Aside from last game he's been pretty awful for a pretty significant time.

#56 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,364 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Ron should play minor minutes, is what i'm getting at. Aside from last game he's been pretty awful for a pretty significant time.

Actually during the stretch recently before Clark hit his slump he had the ball in his hands more and Metta with a diminished role at the 4 shot 48 percent while taking few threes a game and was pretty efficient.

When Clark hit his slump and his minutes had to drop due to uinjury and exhaustion and Metta had the ball in his hands more because of it his percentage dropped and his 3 point shots increased.

Seems like Clark really determines Metta's role. When Clark is playing well and on point Metta has less to do, doesn't have to shoot as much and can attack from the post which is where he's best. When Clark is off, tired and can't hit shots, Metta's shots go up and he takes more threes.

So your point is correct. It's not less minutes Metta needs its for Clark to continue to be on point and stretching the floor well. If Clark and Jamison are stretching the floor Metta doesn't have to and rebounds and attacks from the post and shoots a good percentage. Whereas if Jamison and Clark are off, Metta gets the ball more and shoots more threes.

So, that said, i hope Clark continues his good play and Jamison continues to play well! We can't afford them to slump.

#57 bigvee

bigvee

Superstar

• 7,216 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Shaq

Posted March 17, 2013 - 04:40 PM

What you're saying is simply gross exaggeration. 99% couldn't be further from the truth since we had Mike Brown as our head coach...there's someone for your percentile. Yes D'Antoni is definitely included as well but Pau Gasol transformed into garbage long before those two coaches were even a thought. You can rest assured that I've never said we need Pau (and we don't) at least not after he began his transformation. The way he's treated IS a big flaw...just not in the way you think.

Honestly, that post was intended for everyone but you. You've always hated Pau (maybe not in our championship runs, don't remember) but you've never flip flopped like everyone else here. I don't think you understood what I really meant.

And yes, obviously it was an exaggerated statistic. I'm not going to count the number of Pau supporters each day and compare it to the next. Just threw a number out there.

LeBron James will NOT leave the Miami Heat.

#58 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 269 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Having had a torn Planter Facia, I still doubt his return during the regular season.  He has yet to practice, and will need at least a week of practice, then a slow insertion into the rotation.  I've through a lot of injuries, 2 torn ACLs, back, shoulder, rotator cuff and planter faciaitis, and will say that planter faciaitis is the most painful injury I've ever had--just excruciating pain. 

I don't think you'll him during the rest of the regular season.  And if he makes a cameo appearance, he will not be terribly effective. 

The comment that Pau Gasol is a future hall of famers is down right silly.  I happen to be a big fan of Pau, but really other than three rings and a couple good seasons, this Euro-Forward had his best years with Memphis 20ppg in 2007, and has been declining since.  He is a terrible Center.  I can think so many better Forwards than Pao that have Hall of Fame written on them.   

#59 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,364 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 10:02 PM

He just practiced today at a high level and ran a 4 on 4 scrimmage with the team... If he gets through tomorrow as well he will play Friday

#60 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 15,479 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 21, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Gasol practiced fully today & is expected to play against the Wizards tomorrow. #GoLakers pic.twitter.com/N2zjtPD6e3

85146fdf-2f3a-45b0-8e85-9715e75efc22_zps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users