Photo

Pau Expected To Return Friday vs. Wizards (Updated)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,953 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Definitely needed as the bench 5 would add bench scoring and help further on the nights meeks and or jamison is off.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#22 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,138 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Pissed

Pau Gasol is GONE

#23 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,887 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:37 PM

He better be ready to hit that mid-range jumper, post up from time to time (especially when he has mismatches), and at least play decent D cause we all know how atrocious he's been there most of the time.

LOL don't expect it from him, me MIGHT hustle a bit but he aint playing no defense.

#24 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,911 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 12, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hopefully he's back soon. I wanna see him play in Portland again.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#25 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,945 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted March 12, 2013 - 11:25 PM

Gonna be an huge instant upgrade at backup center

And he can slide next to Dwight when Jamison isn't hitting shots and earl Clark is not playing and we don't need metta for defensive PF

I think Clark starts, Jamison is the first PF sub for earl Clark and gasol backs up Dwight and when gasol is hot he slides to pf

#26 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,945 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted March 12, 2013 - 11:26 PM

Pissed

You have to be happy to have him as a backup 5 right?
You can't side with dantonie and say earl Clark or Antwan Jamison is a better option at center?

#27 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,462 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 12, 2013 - 11:27 PM

Yeaaah hello Pau we missed you!!!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#28 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,445 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted March 13, 2013 - 03:50 AM

As long as he doesn't become Ilyasova

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#29 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted March 13, 2013 - 04:12 AM

As long as he doesn't become Ilyasova

Ersan averages 12/7 in 27 minutes, a lot younger than Pau, can stretch the floor a lot better, isn't soft or injury prone like Pau has been lately, he can play 3/4, can defend both wingmen and 4's, can post 20/20 games, he can easily average 16/9 if he is played enough minutes and you are saying you don't want Pau to become Ersan? Make the salaries match, give us 1 piece or 2 pieces along with a draft pick and it's a no-brainer for me. I love Pau but i just don't see him contributing for us anymore.

#30 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,328 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 13, 2013 - 04:38 AM

Good news.

#31 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009

Posted March 13, 2013 - 04:52 AM

Pau is a starting center on any other team, too slow to guard most 4's but he should dominate at the 5.

#32 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,882 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted March 13, 2013 - 05:19 AM

Play him out by the elbow and in P&R when Howard is in the game, and stick his ass in the post when Howard isn't in there with him.  It's that simple.  D'Antoni has absolutely no prior knowledge of double-post play, and with Kobe facilitating more than ever and Nash spotting up more, you might as well toss that idea out the window now.

Defense will take a hit.  Gasol is just as bad as Jamison, and even though Antawn is a bad defender, he actually tries.  

This is now the time for Gasol to come in and do three things good enough to turn us into a dangerous playoff team:

1) score in double digits every night

2) grab 6-10 boards (especially crashing the o-glass)

3) facilitate from up high

He will do those things, not always at those magnitudes, but it's still a possibility.  The ONE thing I would like to see, though, is him rotating much better...and actually contesting at the rim, instead of dodging slashing players or sticking his hands in the air against other bigs.

We don't need the 2009 Gasol, and we won't get him.  We need a player that can be that 3rd or 4th option every night that forces the defense to respect his ability to shoot 17-footers, and that is cautious when he's looking to pass.  THAT Gasol will help propel us into contention.

#33 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,138 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:00 AM

You have to be happy to have him as a backup 5 right?
You can't side with dantonie and say earl Clark or Antwan Jamison is a better option at center?

20 mil for a backup? Nope not happy

Pau Gasol is GONE

#34 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,855 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Funny how when we had Pau, 99% of our problems were blamed on him and D'Antoni. When he went out, you guys said, "We needed Pau. There goes any of our playoff hopes". Now, when we're winning, you all miss Pau and can't wait for him to come back.

Classic case of using an escape goat to centralize all of our problems, instead of assessing all of them? The way Laker fans (including me, everyone's a hypocrite) treat Pau is probably the biggest flaw of our fan base.

#35 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:55 AM

If you buy a sports car on finance, your repayments will stay the same even though the performance and value of the car goes down.

Depreciation is a fact of life... deal with it.

#36 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,589 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Play him out by the elbow and in P&R when Howard is in the game, and stick his ass in the post when Howard isn't in there with him.  It's that simple.  D'Antoni has absolutely no prior knowledge of double-post play, and with Kobe facilitating more than ever and Nash spotting up more, you might as well toss that idea out the window now.

Defense will take a hit.  Gasol is just as bad as Jamison, and even though Antawn is a bad defender, he actually tries.  

This is now the time for Gasol to come in and do three things good enough to turn us into a dangerous playoff team:

1) score in double digits every night

2) grab 6-10 boards (especially crashing the o-glass)

3) facilitate from up high

He will do those things, not always at those magnitudes, but it's still a possibility.  The ONE thing I would like to see, though, is him rotating much better...and actually contesting at the rim, instead of dodging slashing players or sticking his hands in the air against other bigs.

We don't need the 2009 Gasol, and we won't get him.  We need a player that can be that 3rd or 4th option every night that forces the defense to respect his ability to shoot 17-footers, and that is cautious when he's looking to pass.  THAT Gasol will help propel us into contention.

Totally agree, except i dont think the defense will suffer too much. Looking at +/- stats on different lineups it is clear that whenever Dwight is off the floor we are quite bad defensively and while Pau may not be a good defender at the 4, he's capable at the 5 and at worst he is miles better than Clark and Jamison (at the 5). When Jamison is playing the 5 opposing Cs post a PER of 22,5 against him.

• 40,494 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Funny how when we had Pau, 99% of our problems were blamed on him and D'Antoni. When he went out, you guys said, "We needed Pau. There goes any of our playoff hopes". Now, when we're winning, you all miss Pau and can't wait for him to come back.

Classic case of using an escape goat to centralize all of our problems, instead of assessing all of them? The way Laker fans (including me, everyone's a hypocrite) treat Pau is probably the biggest flaw of our fan base.

Much respect for making a post like this. Hardly anyone has the humility to admit such.

The ONE thing I would like to see, though, is him rotating much better...and actually contesting at the rim, instead of dodging slashing players or sticking his hands in the air against other bigs.

Couldn't agree with this more. That might be the thing that pisses me off most about him as well.

yo.

#38 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,911 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Have u ever complimented Pau? Lol

Edited by Yaboy, March 13, 2013 - 11:53 AM.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#39 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,953 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 13, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Actually a lot of hatred towards Pau was his inability to play the 4 and still wanting to start with Dwight or OVER Dwight. His drama causing when the team had bigger goals and his focusing on individual things. His unwillingness to double post when D'antoni would try to run it, and his creeping to the 3 point line when D'antoni would have him play the 5.

The hate on Gasol during that time was MORE than justified. People wanted him to be backup center for a while and said he'd be most effective there. Guess what. They were right.

He was playing well when we gave him the Odom role and we beat OKC with it.

We were on a roll and Dwight got hurt. So then Gasol had to start at center and played very well, so we wanted him to bring that intensity to the bench 5 and he seemed hitting a groove there. Then he went down right before Dwight came back.

The hate didn't just "disappear", Gasol"s play improved vastly when he was moved to the bench 5 which everyone was begging for.

They want him back because he'll produce more at the 5 than Jamison and will take some pressure off of Clark there(who needs some rest)

So yes he's wanted back the reason is because of what he was doing at the 5 before he went out. NO ONE wants him back as the starting power forward again and only want him to play the 4 sparingly for some high low sets with Dwight that we can get away with time to time which are effective.

Because that's what fit best, and its obvious he'd help our bench from the 5. If Gasol had still played terrible at bench 5(which no one expected) he'd still be hated.

The hate didnt flip flop, his play improved when he was put where everyone was asking him to be put and was acknowledged, just as his bad play was acknowledged when he was starting :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#40 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 13, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Honestly, it'll be nice to just have another big body in there. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users