manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,699 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:15 AM

http://bleacherrepor...c-image-forever

hi-res-163173486_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=

In the midst of Los Angeles Lakers' revival, it's apparent that aside from Kobe Bryant's rejuvenating play, Dwight Howard and his renewed focus on the defensive end has been a propelling force in saving both the season and Howard's broken public image. 

Despite his recent surge in performance, Howard's good-guy image is still damaged due to his ordeal with the Orlando Magic and his reported lack of effort during the Lakers' early season misery. 

Furthermore, Howard has already been labeled a coach killer after running Stan Van Gundy out of Orlando. The early season dismissal of Mike Brown shortly after Howard's tenure with the Lakers began does little to dispel this label. 

With his petty beef with the lovable Shaquille O'Neal still fresh in the public domain, it is obvious that Howard may have usurped LeBron James' position as public enemy number one. However, with the Lakers now playing some very inspired basketball, and with Howard regaining his defensive dominance, there is an opportunity to mend these broken fences. 

With a push back to prominence, it appears as if Howard inadvertently took a harder route to contender status than he had back in his Orlando days. 

The struggle against adversity and his eventual adaptation to the media spotlight—combined with Bryant's expectations—has done wonders in painting Howard in adifferent light.

Though he has taken strides in the right direction in terms of removing the villainous persona he has garnered, leaving the Lakers could tarnish his reputation forever.

Deep playoff run or not, Howard's desertion of the Lakers following this season would be cataclysmic because it would appear that he didn't have the mental strength and fortitude to tough out adversity and lead a team to a championship.

Howard jumped shipped in Orlando due to its inability to regain their 2008-09 form following Howard's lone trip to the NBA Finals.

Will Dwight Howard ever fix his reputation?
YesNoSubmit Vote vote to see results

If he were to do so again if the Lakers don't win a championship he would be considered a quitter.

Furthermore, his game and his ability to be a cornerstone of any roster would be in question, given his inability to succeed despite being surrounded by talent.

Though it might not be fair for his reputation to hinge on whether or not he stays with the Lakers, his actions in Orlando and the inadvertent firing of Coach Brown—following Howard's contributions to Van Gundy's firing—have backed him into a corner. His image is predicated by his success with the Lakers. 

Thus, for Howard to regain his status as one of the faces of the NBA, he has to tough in out in L.A., no matter what the outcome. 

In short, for Howard to clean up his reputation, he has to become what he perceives himself to be.

He has to willingly accept his role as a future franchise player for the Lakers and lead them to success, much like the way he wants to for a team such as the Brooklyn Nets

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#2 KjaX24

KjaX24

KjaX24

• 305 posts
  • Name:keith jackson
  • Fan Since:a wee little lad
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:25 AM

I already think his " brand " is tarnished ; especially now more then ever since he is in one of the top two biggest markets for, uhm.. everything...

Did anyone ever tune into him when he was in Orlando?  I would really like to know if he was always like this in some way.

Edited by kj24, March 11, 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#3 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:29 AM

nothing lasts "forever".

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#4 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:15 AM

Kobe was accused of rape. This is America. You can always rehab your image unless you are a pedophile or murderer

Outside of that you aren't really stuck with anything permanently. Chris brown went rocky balboa on Rihanna and yet he's still invited to all of the award shows and making plenty of money

What Dwight Howard has done and can do if he leaves the lakers is trivial in the grand scheme of things. It's just basketball at the end of the day
Posted Image

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Bleacher report.

#6 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Bleacher report.

BR is the real deal now not like in past. they got real $ poured into it.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#7 KjaX24

KjaX24

KjaX24

• 305 posts
  • Name:keith jackson
  • Fan Since:a wee little lad
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Kobe was accused of rape. This is America. You can always rehab your image unless you are a pedophile or murderer

Outside of that you aren't really stuck with anything permanently. Chris brown went rocky balboa on Rihanna and yet he's still invited to all of the award shows and making plenty of money

What Dwight Howard has done and can do if he leaves the lakers is trivial in the grand scheme of things. It's just basketball at the end of the day

Kobe was accused of rape, and go to any other site, forum , or comment section that isn't pro Laker / Kobe and it will be the first thing people bring up ; sure the media has " moved on " from that part of his life , but people never really forget.

Do I think Dwights career is ruined? No, not at all ; Is there now big black marks all around it, without a doubt.  That being said, winning cures everything to an extent, all he needs to do is go out and win because he is terrible when it comes to the media / outside of basketball.. maybe he needs like a life coach or something.  :laughing:

#8 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:38 AM

People got over LeBron, they'd get over Dwight.

Howard never asked to be traded here and he's been playing hard. I heard this on ESPNLA the other day....you don't come back from a 25 point deficit unless you're all in. 

#9 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,048 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:38 AM

If I were Dwight I wouldn't orally commit to LA either. He's not an idiot, he knows opting into his contract with the Magic messed things up for him ultimately. If he says he's going to resign with LA, he loses all leverage. Why don't you think he's signed an extension yet? He wants that max deal, and he has the power as an FA to threaten to go elsewhere unless the Lakers give it to him, but if he doesn't keep his options open he loses a lot of negotiation power and may not get as big of a contract.

Basketball is a business, so you have to think like a businessman when it comes to these things. He's not going anywhere.

#10 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,920 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 11, 2013 - 12:26 PM

winning changes everything

2div

#11 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,950 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 01:14 PM

BS if he left lakers fans mighy hate him, but his new team will welcome him with open arms.... If he wins and plays well fans, and the media will forget and he'll still get his max contract.

Edited by Yaboy, March 11, 2013 - 01:14 PM.

OD_zpsef7494d9.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#12 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,251 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 11, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Metta won a championship then went back to elbowing Harden and still has the same rep he's always had. It depends on how he deals with it after the damage is done.

#13 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,275 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted March 11, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Idk why people are still worried about this. Does anyone still think he's gonna leave?

#14 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Do something while you're here and it won't matter as much as tanking it for some lame reason. Esp. since Kobe goes far above and beyond the call of duty regularly. Yes waiting is the financial thing to do but it would be so much classier to commit the first day of free agency, no? He still would have the edge as he signs here for the max. where ya gonna go Atlanta, Jersey, Portland? Not wasting my time wondering either this team is on a bigger hole than ever any substantial injury or suspension and ... As I've said glass isn't half empty I'm drinkin outta the bottle, Patron. Suns would love a tank for the upped draft selection. Just once I want to have a draft pick, not 59th but something to build on, trade or amnesty do something get in the mix we aren't getting any younger Fans and playas, Peace to all ya I am going to sleep now. Patron kicking in lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users