Photo

Will the Lakers use amnesty clause on Pau Gasol?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2013 - 04:59 PM

I wish we could amnesty some laker fans...

#42 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,149 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:06 PM

I do not want to end up like the Bulls who got nothing for Asik.

pau isn't a free agent, and the lakers aren't going to amnesty him. this is a guy they wouldn't trade for rondo. they think incredibly highly of pau

Posted Image

#43 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,162 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:09 PM

pau isn't a free agent, and the lakers aren't going to amnesty him. this is a guy they wouldn't trade for rondo. they think incredibly highly of pau

If that offer ever comes up, you do it in a heartbeat. 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#44 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,773 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Pretty sure if that same offer was made again mitch would take it. 

#45 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,149 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Pretty sure if that same offer was made again mitch would take it. 

it won't, my point is that they think highly of pau, they won't just amnesty him

Posted Image

#46 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:59 PM

I wish we could amnesty half of this board...

Fixed that for you.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#47 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:15 PM

That article is slightly wrong. If Dwight re-signs, there would only be 6 players with guarenteed money (Kobe, Dwight, Nash, Blake, Hill, and Pau)

Metta has an ETO, Duhon has a non-guaranteed contract if waived by a certain date, Meeks has a team option. I assume Metta will opt-in and Meeks will be brought back, so 8 guys will have guaranteed money.

Based off money, I just don't see Pau and Metta being Lakers next season. Lakers will either be slightly under the tax line or slightly over.

The luxury tax for this year is $70 mil and they're projecting in SI it will be $75 in 2014

http://sportsillustr...atum/index.html

So lets say its $72 mil for the 2013/2014 season we'd have

Kobe $30 mil

Dwight $23 mil (thats the absolute max I believe that someone can re-sign whos team holds their bird rights)

Hill  $3.5

Nash $9.3

Meeks $1.5

Blake $4

Clark $5 (assuming he gets the full MLE, hes worth that right now)

$76 mil we're already over the cap just to keep half the team

Metta is $7 mil (probably amnestied)

Pau to be traded (Question will be how many drafted players and how much salary in return will we bring in)

The tax penalties are pretty costly and Im guessing we wont go more than $10 mil over that luxury tax line and pay $25 mil in penalties (thats a total guestimate)

The more I think about this the more I think Pau will be amnestied,  I dont know what lottery team out there is gonna take a chance on his expiring contract and give up their youth/draft picks. It is a possibility but not sure if its probable.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#48 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:49 PM

I keep saying it, but I think the Lakers should also consider moving Nash. He just hasn't been a big enough difference maker even with his decent stats. They should still be able to move him because of those stats.

His lack of defense seems to hurt the team almost as much as he helps it on offense at times.

Edited by Japago, March 11, 2013 - 07:58 PM.

Posted Image

#49 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,810 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:12 PM

with 19mill, we could get players back via a trade, no way we amnesty him for nothing

13z8pc6.jpg

#50 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,036 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Pau for Rondo was never on the table. Someone misquoted a Pincus article talking about how when Mitch said he wish he could get a 25 year old all star pg, Rondo was the only player who fit that description. Ainge literally laughed it off when asked about it. 

We did trade Pau once for CP3, so the franchise is willing to get rid of him. Remember in that case we got both good value and saved money, so they will be looking for both those things. Pau's value has declined more since then and the best we were getting was Derrick Williams, so obviously the Lakers won't make that deal.

Now the game is different. He's an expiring contract and under the new CBA that is much more valuable. Remember Kwame Brown was an 8-9 million expiring, this is a 19 million dollar one. The Lakers will likely try to trade him in the summer in an attempt to shed salary and add some younger players for depth. 

#51 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,403 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:15 PM

Unfortunately it will also change what other teams can offer Dwight - Houston could trade Asik for future lottery picks and still have enough cap-room to sign both Howard as well as a guy like Millsap. That would suck.

Regardless of what other teams try to do, the best offer another team can make will be around $30 million less than what the Lakers can offer.

#52 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 12, 2013 - 03:46 AM

Regardless of what other teams try to do, the best offer another team can make will be around $30 million less than what the Lakers can offer.

True-ish. The Lakers can offer that extra year which can give some insurance in case Dwight suffers a career-ending injury. But Howard should be able to earn some money following a 4-yr deal - perhaps not 30/yr, but definately in the mid to high 20s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users