Photo

Will the Lakers use amnesty clause on Pau Gasol?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,626 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:29 AM

Last note on Lakers for now: Tom Penn, NBA cap guru, said on my radio show that as constituted, they could face a luxury tax hit of as much as $85 million next season. Even with that humonguous TV deal, it's hard to imagine them paying that on top of the $90-some million due for player payroll. One option, I'm told, is to amnesty Pau Gasol and the $19 million he has coming next season. It sounds crazy, but if they can't deal Gasol -- and he still would appear to be the most tradeable commodity -- for draft picks or anything that brings a lot less than $19 million in salaries back, they're on the hook for 1 1/2 times his salary and more thanks to the repeater tax. I have to check back with Penn, but I would think if taking Gasol's money off the cap and making another small move gets them under the luxury tax, the $85 million goes away. So maybe you can look at it as a move that gives away Gasol for nothing. Or, just possibly, you can look at it as keeping $85 million in the Lakers' pocket. Sulia

Read more at http://hoopshype.com...WrmAFcD4q0rK.99

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#2 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,183 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Please please please

Pau Gasol is GONE

#3 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:00 AM

ummm, Can anyone add and subtract in the world today? No way were getting under the cap regardless if we keep Pau or not.

Its not that easy as this author is saying. in 2014 the Salary Cap will increase from $58.04m to $69.65m and the Luxury Tax threshold would increase from $70.3m to $84.4m. Thats true.

but,

After KB+D12+Nash+Meta are paid their $64.7 mill, Lakers have just over $5.25 million to spend under the cap.

So I suppose we just wont have a bench at all to stay under the cap....lol.

Pau still gets paid $19 million if hes cut. But it comes off the books. But we still pay it.

So technically if we keep him we pay him $28.5 mill (19 mill + 1.5x tax) and at least we have a solid contributor off the bench. Over paid as ever but whats done is done.

If we amnesty him we still pay him $19 million and he walks and signs with Miami or OKC...lol.

What the author describes as "another small move" isnt very small.

Its filling 8 roster spots of a 12 man rotation with about $5 million....lol 

So we will still end up paying the Lux tax on are big salary players KB $29 mill + $14.5 mill tax. Well all the players get taxed but 1.5 x what Meeks is paid isnt whats breaking the bank. 

Edited by LakersGAFan, March 11, 2013 - 06:03 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,183 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:09 AM

Signing with OKC or Miami would be great.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,626 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:10 AM

I would prefer a trade than lose him for "NOTHING"

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,063 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Mitch ain't stupid. Pau, a big expiring contract in this market. He can get practically anyone he wants for Pau if he waits another season. Ain't no way we amnesty an expiring contract. Doesn't make sense.

#7 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Looks like the media just making crap up to me.  Amnesty makes no sense for so many reasons, many of them noted above.

Unless, Gasol is "too close" to Phil, then Jimmy might do it for fun and just bill Time Warner Cable.

Debbie Downer

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,830 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:59 AM

Using the amnesty on Pau is going to depend on a few things:

Does Dwight re-sign? If he doesn’t, Pau stays. It also depends on the contracts of Clark and Jamison. What type of contract is Clark going to receive? IMO he’s worth a little less than 4ys/20 million – pehaps he would agree to a back-loaded contract? What will happen to Antawn Jamison? If we can re-sign Jameson for the vets minimum we should.

If these things happen i.e. keeping Dwight, Clark, Jamison (as well as Hill) I think we’d be forced to move him (Pau), since we cant have a 5-man frontcourt.

However, instead of using the amnesty I think they should look at using the Amnesty on Metta first as well as possible trade scenarios for Pau. Teams under the cap can trade for Pau, without sending a lot of money out, so it should be possible to get a solid wing as well as picks.

Another point: if we use the amnesty, Pau will most likely go to a contender, like Miami or OKC.

Finally, Kobe wouldn’t allow Pau to be amnestied!

#9 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,354 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:09 AM

I'd rather get a player in a trade for Gasol than giving him away for nothing ..

#10 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:12 AM

ummm, Can anyone add and subtract in the world today? No way were getting under the cap regardless if we keep Pau or not.

Its not that easy as this author is saying. in 2014 the Salary Cap will increase from $58.04m to $69.65m and the Luxury Tax threshold would increase from $70.3m to $84.4m. Thats true.

but,

After KB+D12+Nash+Meta are paid their $64.7 mill, Lakers have just over $5.25 million to spend under the cap.

So I suppose we just wont have a bench at all to stay under the cap....lol.

Pau still gets paid $19 million if hes cut. But it comes off the books. But we still pay it.

So technically if we keep him we pay him $28.5 mill (19 mill + 1.5x tax) and at least we have a solid contributor off the bench. Over paid as ever but whats done is done.

If we amnesty him we still pay him $19 million and he walks and signs with Miami or OKC...lol.

What the author describes as "another small move" isnt very small.

Its filling 8 roster spots of a 12 man rotation with about $5 million....lol 

So we will still end up paying the Lux tax on are big salary players KB $29 mill + $14.5 mill tax. Well all the players get taxed but 1.5 x what Meeks is paid isnt whats breaking the bank. 

ummm....getting rid of Pau means we can be under the tax - especially since MWP will be gone as well - so we would not get the repeater tax.  That is a huge savings because tax rates are incremental for every $5m over the luxury threshold. That tax then is reduced across the board including Kobe's giant contract.  Pretty important to move Pau or amnesty.

Edited by Calisupra2nr, March 11, 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#11 tsidebotham

tsidebotham

Rookie

• 105 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:18 AM

yeah... you got to try and trade him. that's a huge expiring contract that someone will take. and then maybe amnesty Worldpeace?

#12 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,420 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Pau is an enormous expiring contract and a very serviceable player, there is no way that he is getting amnestied.  A player like MWP would be first in line, or nobody at all.  This "story" is purely made up speculation based in no way on anything factual.  Pau will not be amnestied, he is a huge trade chip with the expiring, or great for the Lakers cap in 2014 if they decide to keep him, when his contract ends, along with Kobe (and they hopefully make a run at LBJ)

#13 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:25 AM

ummm....getting rid of Pau means we can be under the tax - especially since MWP will be gone as well - so we would not get the repeater tax.  That is a huge savings because tax rates are incremental for every $5m over the luxury threshold. That tax then is reduced across the board including Kobe's giant contract.  Pretty important to move Pau or amnesty.

wheres it say MWP is gone? Metas signed through 2014 just like KB and Pau. The only contract beyond that is Nash till 2015. And I realize the tax has incremental levels, but still cutting $19 mill just to spend $10 on someone else isnt marginal enough to call for a amnesty where we spend $19 and get nothing in return. It doesnt make sense.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:15 AM

They aren't amestying Pau.

#15 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,284 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:19 AM

Like other has said, they wont amnesty Pau. he's a 19m expiring that will be huge fir another young team to get 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#16 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:21 AM

MWP will be amnestied, Pau will be traded for younger players and draft picks. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#17 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:24 AM

wheres it say MWP is gone? Metas signed through 2014 just like KB and Pau. The only contract beyond that is Nash till 2015. And I realize the tax has incremental levels, but still cutting $19 mill just to spend $10 on someone else isnt marginal enough to call for a amnesty where we spend $19 and get nothing in return. It doesnt make sense.

Perhaps you are not understanding the full ramifications of the repeater tax.  MWP will have to be moved this offseason.  He is a better candidate for amnesty than Pau.  Pau is going to be traded if we re-sign Dwight.  If there are two things I am sure of this offseason it is: lowering our tax implications regardless of new tax thresholds and 2: Dwight re-signing.

In order to achieve the first, I don't see us amnestying Pau. BUT, if we did...it wouldn't be "cutting $19 mill just to spend $10 on someone else isn't marginal enough to call for amnesty..."  If we amnesty Pau is it because we want to save over $80m in taxes and payroll.

Lakers bring in roughly $350m a year in revenue (200+ in TV contract, 90+ ticket sales, 60+ licensing & merch).  If we don't move MWP (who has an ETO and could do us a favor) & Pau, but still re-sign Dwight to max, we are looking at over $100m in 2013-2014 PRE TAX.  The tax implications of that are astounding for repeaters. Assuming revenues grow 20% like Stern is predicting, we will be looking at a luxury tax like you said of around $84m.  That means we are 3 increments above the tax line.  For repeaters that is $4.25 for every taxable dollar.  That is massive. So even though the Lakers have the biggest revenue in the NBA, they also have the biggest expenses.  $350m goes away really quickly when you are paying Staples, overhead, front office employees, and then possibly an additional $80m+ in taxes alone.

Edited by Calisupra2nr, March 11, 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#18 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,368 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:32 AM

MWP will be amnestied, Pau will be traded for younger players and draft picks.

that would be ideal. Ideally we get one or two nice wings and a draft pick. Having an extra 3 good contributing players in rotation would do wonders for this team.

With hill back and hopefully a cheaply resigned earl Clark and Jamison and some extra pieces from a pau trade hopefully Kobe, Dwight and Nash can rest
Posted Image

#19 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:41 AM

Amnestying Pau a strategically stupid move. Like everybody has said above me, Pau still has trade value. Even if the Lakers don't get equal value in return, they should be able to get back pieces that will plug holes in their roster.

#20 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,832 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Amnesyting Pau and paying him nearly 20 million dollars doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  I would argue that using the amnesty on MWP's nearly 8 million dollar salary next year makes more sense.  Secondarily, if the Lakers start out the season and Pau is not traded, they could always package him at the trading deadline.  I know the plan is to have cap space to sign free agents in 2014, but if it looks like there is not a good deal to be had, Pau could be traded as an expiring contract for somone making near to max money that is under the Lakers control. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users