Rituals?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:05 PM

So, how many of you guys have any type of "rituals" that must be adhered to for Lakers games? I wanna hear em.

For example, myself:

I try to catch every game from start to finish. I'm sad to say I missed almost 10 games this year (including playoffs) :rock:... a few cuz of class, a few cuz I was in a car, and one (only ONE!) cuz I couldn't wake up for the 9am game. After a fall quarter at SB of missing some games due to classes, I based my schedule around Lakers games.

Every day there's a game, I get out my 99-00 championship towel to wipe my face with for the day. I have to wear my Lakers kicks, along with a Lakers shirt and/or my KB8 jersey (don't need em all, as long as I have something Lakers related for gameday).

And my trademark, every single time Sasha shoots, I need to scream out "MACHIIIIINE" at the top of my lungs, joined by either jumping out of my seat everytime or raising my arms to the air. When he happens to miss, I get sad and sit down quickly or drop my arms, and when he scores I keep standing and shout a lot or jump up and keep my arms raised. When I was at the dorms everyone on my floor (of like 40 rooms) heard me yell, they knew whenever there was a Lakers game thanks to me (I'd watch in the lounge most of the time). I got the nickname of MACHINE due to this and my 3pt shooting (and me only shooting 3s).

I also had to leave a discussion early for Lakers vs Spurs (we can only miss that class 3 times before dropping a grade and I missed it 2 other times to actually go to games), and I had to finish my final for a class quickly to catch the actual NBA Finals.

Damn now I'm hyped for the season... it's too early.

I WANNA HEAR YOUR RITUALS!

#2 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,495 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:08 PM

Haha cool, i watch game from Beggining , wear my Laker Jersery, (Lucky) , and if something bad going on i change my seat to some where else(I think its bad luck on the other seat) , and i just cheer and get mad .
Posted Image

#3 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:20 PM

I make sure I shave on the morning of the game. Thats the biggest one

I have a few more but I'll mention them later

Edited by MDI, July 31, 2008 - 12:21 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#4 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,445 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:22 PM

If the Lakers are playing good going into a timeout, halftime, etc I leave it on that channel to keep their momentum going. If they are playing poorly I change the channel to reset their focus and break up the other teams momentum. Just a superstition.

I don't really wear anything specific for Lakers games, I'll throw on my Kobe jersey every once in awhile, and that stays on/comes off depending on how Kobe plays.

I always pretend to swat the ball away when an opponent is shooting a free throw.

Whenever a three pointer is taken I hold up three fingers (Like an "OK" hand single, middle finger, ring finger and pinkie in the air) with both hands and yell "Threeeeeballlll".

If Kobe, or any player takes a shot off the dribble I say "stop, pop"....and "Drop it" if it goes in.

All those with the spontaneous remote control against the wall or my cell phone meeting the ground when the Lakers are playing piss poor, that's all I can think of right now.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#5 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:25 PM

smoke a bowl before tip-off :rock:
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#6 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

SI ME GUSTA!

• 4,346 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:34 PM

I used to put Kobe's bobblehead on top of my TV. Then I just stopped doing it...

#7 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:36 PM

I'm not huge on rituals, but I always have my Lakers pillowcase around my neck when their playing. I use it much in the way Ronny used his towels :rock:. I also like to wear at least something Lakers (typically my Farmar j-shirt).

After a fall quarter at SB of missing some games due to classes, I based my schedule around Lakers games.

It's funny you say that, because i based my schedule around games after missing some classes because of games. haha. I got stuck with a 7-9pm class, and it was hell for me. I too, have to watch games all the way through , so I would end up taping them and driving around until like 11, so I knew the game would be over when I turned the TV on. Bad times for me.

One more ritual-type thing. During the playoffs, in honor of Pau, me and a few friends wouldn't shave during a series (The basketball equivalent to the NHL playoff beard). If mine wasn't so patchy, I would have let it roll for the duration of the playoffs, but it served it's purpose. Hopefully it turns into some type of phenomenon.

Edited by SaintNicholasVanExel, July 31, 2008 - 12:37 PM.

#8 Euro Trash

Euro Trash

Rookie

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and The Machine

Posted July 31, 2008 - 02:18 PM

smoke a bowl before tip-off :(

Haha I feel you there! :rock:

#9 sega

sega

Rookie

• 242 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Tyronn Lue

Posted July 31, 2008 - 04:32 PM

I coach the Lakers from the TV and give Phil advise through a headpiece.

However, I was unable to communicate with him during the finals as they heavily checked all the players and coaches before each game.

Thats why we lost.

Sorry guys.

#10 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 31, 2008 - 04:34 PM

I have a practice pad, and everytime i do a roll on it the opponent misses a shot. 7/10 times!

Posted Image

#11 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,445 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted July 31, 2008 - 04:42 PM

I coach the Lakers from the TV and give Phil advise through a headpiece.

However, I was unable to communicate with him during the finals as they heavily checked all the players and coaches before each game.

Thats why we lost.

Sorry guys.

Ohhh I always try and coach the players through the TV. "CUTTT LAMAR THE LANE IS WIDE OPEN", "Sasha do NOT take that three" *takes three, misses* "I TOLD YOU NOT TO TAKE THAT THREE POINTER!!!!", "PAU GO UP S-T-R-O-N-GGGGG and maybe it'll go in?"
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#12 Vudoo

Vudoo

Vlad's Warm Fleece Blanket

• 368 posts

Posted July 31, 2008 - 06:07 PM

I always wear something Laker themed. Nothing else besides that...
My computer is broken so I'm not on as much...

#13 Ddevil

Ddevil

Rookie

• 74 posts

Posted July 31, 2008 - 06:19 PM

I don't have any real rituals.

I just usually always get pissed of when Radman comes on.

#14 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted August 01, 2008 - 02:59 AM

Not really pre-game, but I stand up until the Lakers score just like what the bench does.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#15 328iGuy

328iGuy

Warrior Glare

• 304 posts
  • Fan Since:SHOWTIME

Posted August 01, 2008 - 07:42 AM

Fighting rush hour traffic on the 101 just to watch the game at our 'good mojo' bar in the Valley.
"You have to understand, I love L.A., I love being our ambassador, I love bringing people together," he said. "It's funny, but I guess it still feels like I'm playing point guard, but in a different way, doing stuff more meaningful than winning."

-Magic Johnson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users