29 replies to this topic

#21 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 09, 2013 - 12:59 AM

By the way, yeah...it all paid off in the end, just like it used to with Fisher.

Sadly, Fisher was a HUGE reason why we always needed his clutch shots at the end of games, and why Kobe was busting his ass out on the court to keep us in games OR get us back into them.

It's really easy to remember Meeks hitting a three near the end of the game, just as easy as it is to forget just how many times he let a guy blow past him OR post him up for an easy bucket that Howard couldn't get to in time.

This will not happen against good teams, though.  It was Toronto.  It was New Orleans.  There's no way these things happen against playoff teams, especially contenders, in a playoff series...maybe back in 2002, even in 2009...but over the last 2-3 seasons, we have been hurt by players like this.

If you guys want a great example of this...play Meeks for 36 minutes against the Miami Heat, and tell me how many points you think Dwyane Wade scores.  Or put Jamison on Kevin Durant for about 30+ minutes, all because he's scoring a bit better than Clark, or because Clark doesn't seem to be playing with much effort in the first quarter or so.

The Toronto Raptors, on a five-game losing streak...on our floor, when we are most desperate for a win...and we need Kobe to pull out a second-consecutive 40+ point, 12+ rebound game that is rarely done.  There are major problems, and I just pray to God Kobe will still be on two legs by mid-April.

#22 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:00 AM

Clark might have been bad for a stretch, but it wasn't anything near as terrible as Meeks was at the end of the game. The Raptors literally ran the same post-up play for whoever was on Meeks just about every time down the floor. They scored on the majority of those possessions. If Kobe didn't make those ridiculously difficult threes, we would easily have lost due to D'Antoni's inability to manage this roster. Meeks was too small to defend whoever he was paired up with.

We were eaten up by DeRozan, Gay, and even Alan Anderson on the same play time and time again. Meeks was useless on offense and basically gave up 2 points every other possession down the stretch. That is just horrible coaching.

D'Antoni was lucky that Kobe saved our asses because he didn't make a single adjustment the entire game.

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:07 AM

If you guys want a great example of this...play Meeks for 36 minutes against the Miami Heat, and tell me how many points you think Dwyane Wade scores.

Actually, let's do that.  He did this once, defended Wade for the 32 minutes he played.

http://www.basketbal...1103250MIA.html

Meeks: 5-13 FG (39%), 14 PTS, 1 REB, 0 AST, 0 BLK, 3 STL

Wade: 15-26 FG (58%), 39 PTS, 11 REB, 8 AST, 5 BLK, 3 STL

Torched, and the Heat blew out the Sixers, 111-99.  Philly was a .500 team that season, and ranked 7th defensively.

Keeping Meeks in there didn't pay off because the Sixers didn't have Kobe, Dwight and Nash.

#24 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,234 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:08 AM

i think its time to sign TMAC!!!

#25 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,520 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:19 AM

i think its time to sign TMAC!!!

No

#26 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,338 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:44 AM

Actually, let's do that.  He did this once, defended Wade for the 32 minutes he played.

http://www.basketbal...1103250MIA.html

Meeks: 5-13 FG (39%), 14 PTS, 1 REB, 0 AST, 0 BLK, 3 STL

Wade: 15-26 FG (58%), 39 PTS, 11 REB, 8 AST, 5 BLK, 3 STL

Torched, and the Heat blew out the Sixers, 111-99.  Philly was a .500 team that season, and ranked 7th defensively.

Keeping Meeks in there didn't pay off because the Sixers didn't have Kobe, Dwight and Nash.

Really? You're going to use a two-year old example with Meeks in his second year guarding Dwayne Wade, who in that same stretch was totally on fire. C'mon dude. Glass half empty again!

Ok, Meeks got torched tonight, but his defense isn't that bad and regardless what you think about line-up stats, the lineup with Nash, Meeks, Kobe, Artest and Dwight is quite good, in my opinion.

I do think, however, that Clark should have gotten a few minutes at the 3. Clark, according to 82games, is a lot more effective playing the 3, on both ends of the floor, so why not give him som minutes if Meeks is struggling?

Also, once again i ask: Why didn't we sign Delonte West or make an actual push for Raja Bell? Would they be game-changers? No, but they wouldn't have been destroyed by Alan [expletive]ing Anderson and they would still be able to stretch the floor.

#27 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:52 AM

Really? You're going to use a two-year old example with Meeks in his second year guarding Dwayne Wade, who in that same stretch was totally on fire. C'mon dude. Glass half empty again!

Ok, Meeks got torched tonight, but his defense isn't that bad and regardless what you think about line-up stats, the lineup with Nash, Meeks, Kobe, Artest and Dwight is quite good, in my opinion.

You're making excuses for him, just because he's a Laker.  He's not a good defensive player.  Two years ago, and today, he's the same guy.  He was actually in a MUCH bigger role back then, at 28 minutes a night, having to create on a lot of his own shots AND defend starter-level players.

He has played 36 minutes just twice this season, before tonight.

And there isn't a problem with the lineup until Meeks is getting destroyed.  At some point, you adjust.  You even say this yourself, in part of the post I didn't quote...so I'm not sure why you're arguing for Meeks right now.

Otherwise, why is Mike D'Antoni on our sideline?

Why didn't we sign West or Bell?  Money, more than likely.

#28 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,269 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:59 AM

Mike clearly doesn't care about Defense and Meeks was the perfect example. When the game is on the line I would damn sure take defense over offense, because that is what it comes down to. Getting stops. If it wasnt for kobe and if kobe would have miss even one of those threes we lose. Why? Because they kept scoring. I dare you to put that same lineup on Heat or OKC and tell me that is a good lineup, and watch what they do to them, mismatches all day. You just dont ignore it and keep letting him get destroyed, you make adjustments.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, March 09, 2013 - 02:08 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,042 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 09, 2013 - 02:38 AM

Speaking of defense, why is no one talking about Metta holding Gay to 2-13 in the second half?

Or should we just focus on his missed shots? Bad offensive game today, good second half defensive effort.

As far as Meeks go, when he was struggling and they were posting up, it was Dwight that told him to let them post him up because it would lead them to the paint and he'd wait for it and block it.

Which he did once, and tipped another that went in anyway :P

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#30 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 09, 2013 - 03:17 AM

May pay dividends.  If it makes Meeks a better player, good.  We'll need him.

It reminds Dwight why he's here...that helps also.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users