Photo

Dwight on Being Lakers' Defensive Anchor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

• 40,416 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:05 PM

http://www.nbclosang...-196559841.html

Even with the Raptors visiting Staples Center in the evening, the media was still fixated on the Lakers’ comeback against the Hornets and Howard’s defensive impact in the crucial period.

Howard took ownership of the defense in the fourth quarter in New Orleans, and he was asked about his left handed block on Robin Lopez that effectively sealed the game for the Lakers.

“I usually block a lot of shots with my left hand,” Howard said. “It’s something Bill Russell taught me. I read in one of his books [that] if a player is right-handed, you want to use your left hand to block shots instead of going across your body and trying to use your right hand to block a right-handed player’s shot. Use the left hand because it’s right there.”

Howard is a student of the game, and his history of dominating games defensively should not be a surprise given his natural size and choice of reading. When asked if he was now fully in charge of the defense, Howard initially rejected the idea but eventually acknowledged that he was the last line of defense.

“We all have to be in charge of defense,” Howard said. “It’s not just on me to make every play, but, at the same time, I’m going to be back there to erase the mistakes.”

Howard’s gradual recovery from injury has been widely documented, but he has been showing marked improvement following the All-Star break. Howard has four blocks in three out of the last five games. Also, he has at least two steals in two of the past three games.

“It is my job to be the last line of defense,” Howard said at shootaround. “I really try to erase everybody’s mistakes. And I’m getting there. My timing is getting back, and everything is coming. I just need to keep working.”

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,157 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:10 PM

didn't know he worked with Bill Russel too, Pretty sweet 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,753 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:12 PM

Good article

33bkfif.jpg

#4 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,800 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:26 PM

You don't usually see this coming from Howard earlier in the season, could be his conditioning wasn't there, team was losing or maybe he's now becoming active and feeling his presence is notable(maybe not at 100%)

All i hope they click now than starting to click next season..

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,379 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 08, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Lot of the "off by one second' timing had at the beginning of the season is starting to diminish now. If he can remain healthy as well as our team and we make the playoffs Dwight may be the closest he's been to being back all season by that point.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users