Photo

Why do people keep saying that Kobe is on steroids?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,487 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:46 PM

If he has the work ethic that we know he does then why would he bother with them? To give him a boost that he already has by doing things the right way? I think it's just those trying to find things to criticize about Kobe, as usual. You don't hear too many people saying these things about LeBron, which doesn't make sense.

no matter how hard he works he has personal limitations like any other person. PEDs can surpass those limitations. 

Posted Image

#22 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,369 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hate thats why!

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#23 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:06 AM

No steriod or HGH is going to help you shoot straighter, face it, don't need no juice to get loose, still lethal, its da Mamba baby!

#24 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:07 AM

1. hate

2. honestly, this society has constantly been telling us that freaking 27 is old, let alone 34

dedication, being good to your body, having lots of $$$ helps too, not to mention those knee surgeries that are freaking amazing

not surprised a guy like kobe could perform at this level at 34

i mean, he's not constantly going 100 percent, he still sits back sometimes on defense

#25 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:17 AM

I've only heard this passingly on other boards. There is no denying Kobe is a freak of nature and I like to attribute that to his hard work and dedication. Although if he was on steroids, it wouldn't be surprising...

#26 David Hillman

David Hillman

Rookie

• 527 posts
  • Name:David Hillman
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kurt Rambis

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:29 PM

No steriod or HGH is going to help you shoot straighter, face it, don't need no juice to get loose, still lethal, its da Mamba baby!

Not directly, but PEDs can allow you to practice shooting, or whatever, to a greater extent, and obviously, practice is what makes a great shooter.

One could argue Kobe is making some smoke right now, so it isn't surprising that some people assume there's a fire.  The unfortunate fact of the matter is that most of the professional athletes who have done unheard-of things in the past couple decades later turned out to be juicing.

On the other hand, Kobe does not exhibit any of the telltale signs ( like the swollen heads of Bonds and Sosa, or the complete body changes of McGwire and Woods, or the ridiculously premature balding of Woods and others ).

I think it's naive to say he's definitely clean, but there's definitely the possibility that he is.

Edited by David Hillman, March 09, 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#27 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,009 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:34 PM

People are just mad the guy is defying nature its that simple. MJ was 40 dropping 20/6/4 so I dont see how it is hard to believe that kobe is doing what he is doing at 34 him and MJ are not the same as us, its that simple. People are trying to put him down thats all. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#28 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,009 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Not directly, but PEDs can allow you to practice shooting, or whatever, to a greater extent, and obviously, practice is what makes a great shooter.

One could argue Kobe is making some smoke right now, so it isn't surprising that some people assume there's a fire.  The unfortunate fact of the matter is that most of the professional athletes who have done unheard-of things in the past couple decades later turned out to be juicing.

On the other hand, Kobe does not exhibit any of the telltale signs ( like the swollen heads of Bonds and Sosa, or the complete body changes of McGwire and Woods, or the ridiculously premature balding of Woods and others ).

I think it's naive to say he's definitely clean, but there's definitely the possibility that he his.

Look at my earlier post about MJ. To get an idea what MJ was doing at Kobe's age, MJ was 35 dropping 29/6/4 . No way its roids at all, Masters of the game and the craft of basketball know how to play late into their years. The only thing that has helped rejuvenate Kobe's career are his German knees lol

Its funny how when Kobe is doing it at his age people say steriods, but when MJ did it the only possible explanation was he was the greatest ever, pshtt blind hate directed at Kobe nothing new about that at all though.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, March 09, 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#29 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:39 PM

would have to kill myself if kobe's on steroids. 

#30 David Hillman

David Hillman

Rookie

• 527 posts
  • Name:David Hillman
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kurt Rambis

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:38 PM

Look at my earlier post about MJ. To get an idea what MJ was doing at Kobe's age, MJ was 35 dropping 29/6/4 . No way its roids at all, Masters of the game and the craft of basketball know how to play late into their years. The only thing that has helped rejuvenate Kobe's career are his German knees lol

Its funny how when Kobe is doing it at his age people say steriods, but when MJ did it the only possible explanation was he was the greatest ever, pshtt blind hate directed at Kobe nothing new about that at all though.

First of all, you are assuming that Jordan was clean, which we do not know.

Secondly, Jordan turned 35 in Februrary of his last season with Chicago, and while he was putting up the numbers you quoted, he was significantly off his career percentages.  He shot just 23% from 3 that year, and only 78% from the line.  Kobe on the other hand, is exceeding his career numbers.  If it weren't for the fact that it was basically illegal to guard Jordan at that point, he would've had a hard time coming near his usual production.  I lived in Chicago at that time, still do, and watched a lot of those games.  The protection he was afforded late in his time with the Bulls was comical.  If Kobe ever got whistles like that, he'd average 45.

Finally, despite being the same age as Jordan in his final Bulls season, Kobe has many more miles on those legs.  'Many' is an understatement.  Jordan played 930 regular season games with the Bulls, plus 179 playoff games.  Kobe has already played a jaw-dropping 30% more regular season games ( 1224 ) and 23% more playoff games ( 220 ) and doesn't turn 35 until almost next season.

What Kobe is doing has not been done.  Even 'ageless' guys like Kareem and Stockton were well off their career numbers by age 34 and neither of them were in the League at 18.

#31 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Shouldn't Gatorade be considered a PED since it replenishes ones electrolytes? I mean the old guys back in the day certainly didn't get to drink Gatorade...

Anyways, back on topic:

No telltale signs of traditional PED use. No excess muscle mass, no facial changes, no gaps in the teeth, no Wade jaw, no Westbrook bulging brows. He looks like the same Kobe we've been seeing for the last 10 years (when he cut the fro).

I feel really bad for Kobe Bryant... Throughout his career he's been unappreciated, hated, slandered, accused, and now since he's playing awfully well at this stage of his career, he's being accused of juicing?

Edited by Jackson, March 09, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#32 J2theR_LAL

J2theR_LAL

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Name:Ismael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq.

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:28 PM

I remember during the olympics they surprised drug tested him and he passed it, and kept playing, somewhat at his own pace. So yeah... the only thing to be revealed from that is he truely bleeds purple and gold.  :clap2:

#33 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,826 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted March 10, 2013 - 12:23 AM

something about kobe seems to legit and sincere and hes really just entirely a unique human beiing. I wouldn't be surprised if he has psychological problems

ap1.png

#34 ShanesFM

ShanesFM

Rookie

• 13 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Fan Since:Diapers and Pacifiers
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 10, 2013 - 01:49 AM

I haven't heard that ANYWHERE!  

Please show some credible sources before spreading a lie.

In fact, all I've been seeing is Lebron being part of that PED clinic that A -Rod is linked to.  

#35 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 10, 2013 - 02:02 AM

I haven't heard that ANYWHERE!  

Please show some credible sources before spreading a lie.

In fact, all I've been seeing is Lebron being part of that PED clinic that A -Rod is linked to.  

:facepalm:

#36 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,009 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:32 AM

First of all, you are assuming that Jordan was clean, which we do not know.

Secondly, Jordan turned 35 in Februrary of his last season with Chicago, and while he was putting up the numbers you quoted, he was significantly off his career percentages.  He shot just 23% from 3 that year, and only 78% from the line.  Kobe on the other hand, is exceeding his career numbers.  If it weren't for the fact that it was basically illegal to guard Jordan at that point, he would've had a hard time coming near his usual production.  I lived in Chicago at that time, still do, and watched a lot of those games.  The protection he was afforded late in his time with the Bulls was comical.  If Kobe ever got whistles like that, he'd average 45.

Finally, despite being the same age as Jordan in his final Bulls season, Kobe has many more miles on those legs.  'Many' is an understatement.  Jordan played 930 regular season games with the Bulls, plus 179 playoff games.  Kobe has already played a jaw-dropping 30% more regular season games ( 1224 ) and 23% more playoff games ( 220 ) and doesn't turn 35 until almost next season.

What Kobe is doing has not been done.  Even 'ageless' guys like Kareem and Stockton were well off their career numbers by age 34 and neither of them were in the League at 18.

Ok and out of all the guys you mentioned did any of them have the state of the art knee surgury kobe had? Like I said German knees are the only extra help kobe has had with keeping his game up at this level. His shooting form looks no different then seasons past, post game the same, the only noticable difference would be the more frequent dunks which could be attributed to fresh knees after an early playoff exit last year with a pretty lax summer and workload in the olympics (which is pretty light for kobe since the guy really never takes an offseason really off). I can see what people are getting at and I am a very cynical person myself, but certain people out there in this world are just different than the normal.

Remember Micael Angelo's drawing showing that a man's wing span and other extremities are in propotion to his body? Well about 95% of the NBA discredits that, but for the average person that is true. There is nothing in Kobe's game that seems like it has signifcantly improved since last year if anything he looks a lot like the same player other than the more frequent dunking (with a shorten and condensed season last year makes sense that he looked less athletic than ever) A lot of Kobe's wild shots are a hit or a miss meaning that we all know he can make them they just have to fall and more than the normal are falling with him also getting better looks around the rim thanks to dwight.

Some people just age better, hell John Stamos looks the same he did in 1990 as he does now lol. Also speaking about whether or not MJ was on PED's he still trains with the Bobcats trainer and the trainer says the things MJ still can do is amazing (at age 50) and that he has no doubt that MJ could still play in the NBA today. I very much doubt MJ even if by some crazy way he was juicing back in the day that he continued to just to stay in shape for the hell of it.

Its all speculation of course, but until there is an actual test Kobe fails people shouldnt downplay how amazing his season is right now by bringing up PED's as a possible reason why. Kobe always gets more criticized than he desevers which stems back a few years when the media casted him as the big bad villan and made Lebron the poster child for world happiness.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, March 10, 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#37 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted March 10, 2013 - 09:08 AM

kobe is not on steroids. if there was one player, it would be lebron, maybe lol. but i dont think so.

Posted Image

#38 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,826 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:07 AM

griffin for sure

ap1.png

#39 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Shouldn't Gatorade be considered a PED since it replenishes ones electrolytes? I mean the old guys back in the day certainly didn't get to drink Gatorade...

Anyways, back on topic:

No telltale signs of traditional PED use. No excess muscle mass, no facial changes, no gaps in the teeth, no Wade jaw, no Westbrook bulging brows. He looks like the same Kobe we've been seeing for the last 10 years (when he cut the fro).

I feel really bad for Kobe Bryant... Throughout his career he's been unappreciated, hated, slandered, accused, and now since he's playing awfully well at this stage of his career, he's being accused of juicing?

lol gatorade has flame retardant in it

just sugar and salt as well

Edited by citr92, March 10, 2013 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users