Photo

Jerry West: Lakers Will Make Playoffs, Worst Behind Them

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

• 40,556 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Jerry West says Lakers will make playoffs, 'worst is behind them'

http://www.latimes.c...0,7673486.story

Former Lakers star and executive Jerry West, who is currently an executive board member for the Golden State Warriors, thinks the team will land a post-season berth.

"The Lakers are playing better now, especially defensively," West told the website SportsOnEarth.com on Sunday. "I think they'll make the playoffs. I think the worst is behind them."

Injuries have been an issue for the Lakers all season but West noted that it's not easy to meld stars together as a cohesive unit.

"What people don't understand is the enormous adjustment you have to make as a player in those situations," West said. "I was a scorer. Elgin [Baylor] was a scorer and Wilt [Chamberlain], even then, liked the ball. We all had to put everything else aside."

zla_sp_ln_jerry_west_lakers_playoffs_201

West also said he isn't comfortable with some of what he sees on the court around the league.

"When I played, I never thought I was better than anyone. Now you have guys running down the floor, making three-point shots and then holding up three fingers," West said. "I have no idea where that comes from. It's not me. I don't like it.

"I don't like players who have to promote themselves," he continued. "A guy running around beating himself on the chest -- I don't know what that's about. If you're good enough, you are promoted. I see guys sitting on the bench laughing and they're down 20. That would never happen with the Lakers. I wouldn't put up with it."

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:36 PM

i wish jerry was still a part of the lakers organization

Posted Image

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,197 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:51 PM

i wish jerry was still a part of the lakers organization

He is in spirit! :D

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#4 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,626 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 07, 2013 - 04:20 AM

in thoughts :D

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#5 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 420 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:10 AM

The Logo will always be a Laker. He can consult whoever but he bleeds forum blue and gold.

1- I do think we will make the playoffs.

2A- For me, the worst is when it's over and we are not there yet. Were going to burn so much gas making the playoffs its going to be difficult to do anything when we get there. If we can win in the first round, I will be amazed. That will be my personal worst part of the season. That last game when you know its over is pretty tough.

2B- As a team we may be over the worst. But as drama laden as this team is, we are always one headline from a drama catastrophe. Hopefully that eases when Howard re-signs.

#6 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:18 AM

I'll believe it when the Lakers are ACTUALLY in the playoffs. Hats off to Jerry though for being supportive of this organization, despite the turmoil we've gone through in the early parts of the season.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#7 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 744 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:41 AM

Jerry is the definition of a class act. Glad to hear his thoughts on the team

#8 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 07, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Are the Lakers really playing better defensively? We daily see on the boxscores and game scores quarters in which the Lakers allow 40 points, something that is totally unacceptable if you want to be a legit playoff team. 

Edited by Nak, March 07, 2013 - 12:43 PM.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users