4 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,355 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Last weekend in Boston the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference (or the Dork-A-Palooza as Bill Simmons likes to call it) kicked off for the 7th time.  

All teams participated, except the Lakers.

Then yesterday i heard a podcast from the conference with Zach Lowe and Brian Kopp from SportVU, who mentioned how some teams (the smart teams, as they called it) were installing systems that can follow individual player movement which can provide some very interesting and usefull stats. 15 teams had installed this type of equipment but the Lakers didn't.

They also talked about one of the biggest challenges as a stat-geek - getting the coaches, GMs and owners to buy into this system.

Why does it seem like the Lakers doesn't utilize these type of advanded stats enough?

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,530 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Last weekend in Boston the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference (or the Dork-A-Palooza as Bill Simmons likes to call it) kicked off for the 7th time.  

All teams participated, except the Lakers.

Then yesterday i heard a podcast from the conference with Zach Lowe and Brian Kopp from SportVU, who mentioned how some teams (the smart teams, as they called it) were installing systems that can follow individual player movement which can provide some very interesting and usefull stats. 15 teams had installed this type of equipment but the Lakers didn't.

They also talked about one of the biggest challenges as a stat-geek - getting the coaches, GMs and owners to buy into this system.

Why does it seem like the Lakers doesn't utilize these type of advanded stats enough?

I wonder who the "smart teams" are cause we have won a lot of championships(2 like 3 years ago) with our way. 

#3 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,721 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Those conferences are for the little folk of the NBA, not royalty like us, who always have, currently do and always will sit atop our conference and make our usual deep playoff run. 

#4 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,101 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Grizzlies lost like 564646543545 games since Hollinger was hired as VP of Basketball operations so I don't think they are THAT smart.

#5 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,029 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Honestly at this point we don't need advanced stats to see what the problem is with the Lakers. It is clear as day to everyone but Mike D'Antoni. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users