34 replies to this topic

#21 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 06, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Perhaps a few games with Ebanks and Morris trying to "produce" for the team is what some 'fans' need to realize a few things.

And as far as people saying "getting mwp isnt something that should be on mitch's resume"

Without him we don't beat Boston and how soon people forget the injuries he dealt with.

How soon people also forget that injuries contributed to his poor play and how he's playing right now like he did to close out last year which is well and right on his career averages(better from the 3 actually)

He gives us 4 months of consistent solid play, has one bad month and people say he's garbage when in reality aside from Kobe and Nash he's been our most consistent and in our last 5 games he's been out of the slump people seem to want to hold against him.
But apparently 4 months of consistent good play < a month of a shooting slump.

Not only that but the fans will want you to play a guy that hasn't given us 4 games of good play let alone 4 months and act like they could make more of a difference.

But alright, throw Morris and Ebanks in to duplicate his production. You'll miss the 14 points on 48 percent shooting as he's been giving us lately in the last few games(many close ones).

Fyi as much as you hate him, he was part of the reason it got close and scored 10 in the 4th, something neither Morris or Ebanks would ever do nor be trusted with the shots, so more Kobe! Cause that fixes everything right? But let's act like his production means little, just like people arrogantly thought with Blake when they were so "sure" that Duhon and Morris could emulate his production and act like Ebanks and Morris can do the same.

Same lesson learned twice by the same fans needs to happen I guess.

When Ebanks on a good day gives you 7 points and can't stop anyone on defense without fouling them has no active hands and you get to watch Morris attempt to go 'kobe mode' himself while clanking more threes while neither of the two get you rebounds that Metta can and would nor steals and because of it watching Kobe have to play 45 minutes a game instead of 38 and you'll miss Metta soon enough :)

Majesty, your point that he is our best option is well taken,  He will look good by comparison to the alternatives.  The problem is that he's just not very good defensively any more, so his mediocre O production/ efficiency is harder to accept.  So that's like when I have a hangnail and it hurts, I smack my toe and it hurts more, so my hangnail isnt so bad now?

And if we want to stroll down memory lane and talk about how great current (but no longer highly productive) players have been in the past, then we have to lighten up on Gasol as well.

• 40,400 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 01:37 PM

“I was doing the Harlem Shake,” World Peace said. “Then I twisted my ankle. But it’s all right.”

“I hit a three and just thought I’d do the Harlem Shake,” said World Peace, perhaps seeing the Miami Heat do the same thing. “But it’ll be okay. We’re soldiers.”

:laughing:

yo.

#23 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,709 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 06, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hopefully he tears a ligament and he's out for a year :P

JK lol!

#24 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 06, 2013 - 01:45 PM

It's sad that we have to play him out of necessity. Incapable of playing solid defense (forget elite) on a nightly basis, chucks up terrible looks, and he's a complete ball-stopper on offensive sets. Let's try not to think of his horribly awkward drives either, they almost make me miss Derek Fisher. If he's incapable of playing defense like he used to, the one aspect of his game that was always reliable, then there's no point to keeping him on this team.

I really hope the front office makes a concerted effort to fill in these roster holes next season. You can't expect to contend with a top heavy roster if the supporting cast is so terrible.

#25 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted March 06, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Metta is just horrible. Why you defend is a million dollar question. 

~best shape ever~ lml. :rolleyes:

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#26 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,753 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted March 06, 2013 - 02:13 PM

Metta World Peace: "I was doing the Harlem Shake and I twisted my ankle." He says he's playing vs. New Orleans

:smh:

33bkfif.jpg

#27 wvlaker

wvlaker

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Fan Since:8 years old

Posted March 06, 2013 - 02:33 PM

When we had the momentum and a chance to cut it to 4 or possibly 3, Metta goes 1 on 2 in the fastbreak and misses a horrible lay-up attempt. Thunder come back down and Ibaka nails a 3. Game over. That kind of thing and his over aggressive on-ball defense which leads to easy drives around him or early team foul trouble are the reasons I don't mind if he is out.

However, it will hurt our bench rotation and he does seem to be knocking down a few more shots. Sometimes his intensity is a plus when he gets his hands on the ball and causes turnovers from opposing teams.  

So either way I'm OK with it but I think we need him more than I'd care to admit.

hey 

#28 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,141 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 06, 2013 - 02:41 PM

When we had the momentum and a chance to cut it to 4 or possibly 3, Metta goes 1 on 2 in the fastbreak and misses a horrible lay-up attempt. Thunder come back down and Ibaka nails a 3. Game over. That kind of thing and his over aggressive on-ball defense which leads to easy drives around him or early team foul trouble are the reasons I don't mind if he is out.

However, it will hurt our bench rotation and he does seem to be knocking down a few more shots. Sometimes his intensity is a plus when he gets his hands on the ball and causes turnovers from opposing teams.

So either way I'm OK with it but I think we need him more than I'd care to admit.

Nash has the attempt at the three missed and then Ibaka hit the three that pushed it to 9 when it could have been three.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#29 wvlaker

wvlaker

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Nash has the attempt at the three missed and then Ibaka hit the three that pushed it to 9 when it could have been three.

Nope.

http://scores.espn.g...278617&period=4

3:56 MWP defensive rebound

3:51 MWP misses lay-up

3:50 Kevin Durant defensive rebound

3:41 Serge Ibaka makes three point jumper

hey 

#30 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,141 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Must have missed that, left aafter Nash missed the 3 and followed the rest on my cell.

Hey WAIT A MINUTE, didn't metta score 10 ppoints oin the 4th and wasn't he one of the main reasons it was close? Him and Nash?

If so, we're gonna just forget all that?

So its thank you metta for scoring 10 points in the 4th and helping but screw you forever for missing that layup sort of thing?

#31 wvlaker

wvlaker

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 03:15 PM

The point is when Metta plays within the offense, shoots when open and properly posts up on smaller defenders he is solid. But he doesn't seem to understand his limitations. When he goes on fastbreaks he rarely finishes the play, and he never seems to give it to Nash, Kobe, or whoever may be in the game that can properly run the break or know to back it out and set up the offense. And on defense he doesn't seem to understand he's lost a step and ends up overcompensating by pushing right up on people either fouling or allowing them to easily get around him. All we want is for the guy to understand the type of player he is now rather than going for hero moments that rarely work out in our favor.  

Edited by wvlaker, March 06, 2013 - 03:16 PM.

hey 

#32 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,207 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted March 06, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Must have missed that, left aafter Nash missed the 3 and followed the rest on my cell.

Hey WAIT A MINUTE, didn't metta score 10 ppoints oin the 4th and wasn't he one of the main reasons it was close? Him and Nash?

So its thank you metta for scoring 10 points in the 4th and helping but screw you forever for missing that layup sort of thing?

The game wasn't close.  The Thunder got up huge off the Lakers doing their normal giving up 60 plus by half (71 in this case) and turning the ball over a ton (I believe it was 20 or so total).  Then the Thunder layed off the gas, messed around, let the Lakers get it close, then slammed the door on their face about as hard as you've ever seen a team dominate another team.  It went from down 5 to down 13 in about 1 minute of game time.  If Metta had made the layup, which lets be honest, he can never make a fast break layup, outcome would have been the same.  Metta played fine, he played to his ability, which isn't that much at this point, he made Durant work for his points and become a volume shooter, unfortunately Nash can't say the same as Westbrook torched the Lakers, as good point guards tend to do.  Also, I know this is about MWP, but take a look at Earl Clarks numbers, I dunno why everyone is so in love with that guy.  I would take Metta 100 times before I'd want that scrub on the floor.  I'm not here to defend MWP, he is a subpar player, but he isn't the Lakers only problem, he is just the most glaring, because he is often out of control and airballing wide open shots and thinks that he is twenty times the player that he is. 

#33 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 06, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Nope its thanks Metta for shooting under 40% this season, jacking up shots and being a complete ball stopper, getting burned constantly on defense and overall being a dumbass.

Hes a scrub....get off his jock

#34 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,772 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted March 06, 2013 - 03:48 PM

I don't disagree that he is the best option for this roster, but that isnt saying much at all.  He may hustle and be a bithcin dude off the court, but really how many more times do you want to see him run a 1 on 5 fast break only to turnover the ball then fall down?  The league is full of dudes that were good and aren't now.  I, for one, am frustrated when he goes 1/11 and shoots the Lakers out of games, when he gets torched on defense, and when he interrupts the flow of the offense doing his best Eddie House impression.  His contributions aren't forgotten by Lakers fans, but if he were be amnestied tomorrow, I would be OK with that too.  I think the CDR would have been a better choice btw.

#35 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,141 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 05:04 PM

If Metta can't go.. Meeks will start which means that Ebanks would play 2 off the bench... Gah...

Dave McMenamin @mcten1h
D'Antoni said World Peace is getting his ankles taped and would likely play. If he can't, Jodie Meeks will start

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users