#41 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,036 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:00 AM

I didnt watch the game so Im just going off the box score

I believe he had foul issues and free throw issues as well so there goes the posessions where he could've scored

Im just a little frustrated with him. He shoots 10% less on FG on the road, and his scoring is about 13.5 points on the road, that is not Franchise player material. I support Dwight but he needs to pick it up on offense, its time. We're in March

Dwight did some good things, he grabbed 16 boards and got lots of OKC bigs in early foul trouble. They couldn't do anything to stop him so they just kept fouling.

Dwight's effort was a problem tonight, no doubt about that. But the bigger problem is with how we use him, which falls on D'Antoni. We should be playing through D12 more and actually posting him up with proper spacing. Then he will get much more lethal.

#42 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:03 AM

I think we may need to reduce his offensive opportunities on the road, hes had 5 20 point games on the road all year, 4 outside of LA, last one was in DEC 13, its been that long.  I have faith in his D and rebounding but no way on offense, he keeps fumbling passes away or blows bunny shots. He gets like 5-8 foot shots and keeps squandering them its frustrating

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#43 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,036 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:14 AM

I think we may need to reduce his offensive opportunities on the road, hes had 5 20 point games on the road all year, 4 outside of LA, last one was in DEC 13, its been that long.  I have faith in his D and rebounding but no way on offense, he keeps fumbling passes away or blows bunny shots. He gets like 5-8 foot shots and keeps squandering them its frustrating

That's a spacing issue as well, he has to constantly deal with a lot of help coming over and a lack of open teammates to pass to. D'Antoni doesn't know how to post  a big man properly. Stan Van Gundy did it well in Orlando using the offense the Lakers tried to run last year. 

#44 spacedog1

spacedog1

Rookie

• 234 posts
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:17 AM

lol He said that nobody wanted the players. It's actually substantially different from calling them nobodies. You might say that nobody wants nobodies, but not being wanted doesn't make you a nobody.

People didn't want TO on their team last year, doesn't mean he's a "nobody" because he clearly isn't.

Doesn't surprise me though that it gets twisted like this. The media hears the word "nobody" and thinks "oh, Dwight called them nobodies!" smh

#45 r9too

r9too

Rookie

• 29 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:17 AM

That's a spacing issue as well, he has to constantly deal with a lot of help coming over and a lack of open teammates to pass to. D'Antoni doesn't know how to post  a big man properly. Stan Van Gundy did it well in Orlando using the offense the Lakers tried to run last year. 

that's not really true, OKC was happy to let him go one on one against perks and ibaka and he couldn't score. In fact, all season when teams have played him one on one he has a really hard time scoring due to his extremely limited offensive reptoire. Dude is 9 years in the league and still has ZERO post up game, I've seen him this year get shut down by inferior borderline scrub players like chuck hayes, joel anthony, etc... in one on one match ups.

How long are we going to use the excuse that he's coming off surgery to justify his performance? People need to realize the dwight's game is based on PURE ATHLETISIM, meaning that once this guy hits 30 or begins to lose his athletic ability we'll be paying 25 million to a guy who can't make a hook shot consistently. 

#46 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,813 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:47 AM

their not better than Nash or Pau or you kidding me? Seriously?

Who suggested that we compare supporting casts?  The OP posted Dwight's comments, never comparing them to current Laker players.  The point of discussion was whether they are "nobodies" not  how they compare to Lakers players.

Other posters have suggested that Dwight made Nelson and Lewis allstars in 2008-2009.  Lewis was an allstar once before he got to Orlando, that's why they gave him that ridiculous contract.  No question Orlando Dwight attracted alot of attention, giving Lewis open looks ... that's exactly why they signed him.  But Dwight did not "make" Lewis into an all star caliber player, he already was that when he arrived.

Nelson has not been an allstar since that season, but injuries have taken a toll.  I can make a pretty good argument that Dwight negatively affected Nelson's stats.  When your center has only a rudimentary post game and can't shoot FTs, it limits what you can do as a PG.  You have to get him the ball in just the right spot and at the right time.  That means that you take a few extra or make another pass on a possession that the ball would have otherwise gone into the post, if you had a polished big man in there. 

Interestingly, Nelson is averaging more assists this year, on a 17 win team + surrounded by "bad" players, than he did any  year with Dwight  on some (almost) 60 win teams... what does THAT tell you?

#47 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,455 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 06, 2013 - 08:28 AM

“I’m all in. I’m here now, and what I want to do is win a championship. That’s my goal for this season.”
“It’s my choice. That’s what free agency is. You have the opportunity to decide what you want to do with your career.”

I dont think that quote is reassuring at all. he always speaks with NO conjecture for after this season. Oh well, we shall see in time.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#48 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,813 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 08:35 AM

It's only reassuring in the opposite sense, the dude has not made up his mind to stay.

What does a decent starting C averaging 16/12, shooting 57% and <50% on FT's go for in the FA market these days?  That's what he's worth then, until he proves he can be Orlando Dwight again.

I dont think that quote is reassuring at all. he always speaks with NO conjecture for after this season. Oh well, we shall see in time.

#49 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,147 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 08:37 AM

It's only reassuring in the opposite sense, the dude has not made up his mind to stay.

What does a decent starting C averaging 16/12, shooting 57% and <50% on FT's go for in the FA market these days? That's what he's worth then, until he proves he can be Orlando Dwight again.

A center averaging 16 and 12 gets a max deal. Look around the league, learn about it
Posted Image

#50 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,813 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 08:51 AM

A center averaging 16 and 12 gets a max deal. Look around the league, learn about it

Unfortunately, you may be right.

I just know that there are probably 3 or 4 centers I'd rather offer max money to.

#51 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Zeus
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Dwight only said this to build himself up as the guy who carried Orlando. The 09 team was very good

#52 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,147 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Unfortunately, you may be right.

I just know that there are probably 3 or 4 centers I'd rather offer max money to.

There aren't 3 or 4 centers in the NBA right now even better than a hobbled Dwight. I'm really glad most of the people on this board aren't in MBA front offices

Dwight would have been traded for brooke Lopez weeks ago and we'd be in a hole
Posted Image

#53 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,813 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:24 AM

^Dont want Lopez and his contract.  There are some ridiculous deals out there for C's of marginal/ only decent talent.

But I would take:

-Marc Gasol @ 14.5m (max deal but probably worth it)

-Al Horford @ 12m

-Greg Monroe @ 3m (how did Detroit talk him into that deal?)

Asik @ 8m is also looking like a bargain right now.  He gives them 10 and 12 and plays decent defense.

#54 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,147 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:13 AM

greg Monroe is on a rookie deal. horford is ok, and gasol isn't as good as howard even now

Posted Image

#55 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,813 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:58 AM

greg Monroe is on a rookie deal. horford is ok, and gasol isn't as good as howard even now

I think the Lakers can sign Dwight to a 5 year deal for about  $23m per, correct?  So, let's compare:

-Horford makes 12m per.  He puts up 17 and 10, about the same as Dwight and plays defense.  For half as much $. 

-Monroe makes peanuts, sorry missed the rookie deal part.  He will get a max ($14.5m per) when his current deal runs out.  He puts up 16 and 10 and passes really well.  For 2/3 the $ you get the same offense, plus passing and better defense.

-Asik makes 8m per, puts up 10 and 12 and plays good defense.  1/3 the price

-Marc Gasol makes 14.5m per, puts up 14 and 8, very skilled around the rim, excellent passer and plays awwsome defense, considered a DPOY candidate this year.  All for 2/3 of the Dwight price.

Any of these guys make more sense to me than Dwight, when you look at production and price.  And I am not thinking real hard, there may be more.

#56 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,147 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Lol ridiculous. Completely ridiculous
Posted Image

#57 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,813 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 11:17 AM

Lol ridiculous. Completely ridiculous

Care to elaborate?  I took a position and supported it with facts.  You took a position and supported it with ... nothing.  Dont mind if you disagree, but at least make it meaningful.

#58 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,889 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 06, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Horford is in prime position to put up the numbers he is. Number one option on a team, he has been wiith his whole career. 

Look at his PPG is so dumb in comparioson to look at his FG%... Big men are judged on rebounds( leads the league), Fg%,Blocks, and defensive presence.

Dwight is the best defender in the league when completely healthy. He uisnt at an age in which he is declining. Why am I even saying this.

#59 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,147 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Care to elaborate? I took a position and supported it with facts. You took a position and supported it with ... nothing. Dont mind if you disagree, but at least make it meaningful.

You mean the facts that speak against your own point. I can just quote your post to prove my point.

You posted people with inferior numbers saying you would rather pay them the max over a player who is out producing all of them while hobbled

Why don't you make it meaningful
Posted Image

#60 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,813 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Horford is in prime position to put up the numbers he is. Number one option on a team, he has been wiith his whole career. 

Look at his PPG is so dumb in comparioson to look at his FG%... Big men are judged on rebounds( leads the league), Fg%,Blocks, and defensive presence.

Dwight is the best defender in the league when completely healthy. He uisnt at an age in which he is declining. Why am I even saying this.

Ok, my approach is "dumb".  Lets use your "smarter" approach:

FG%

Horford 56

Howard 57

Rebounds

Horford 10

Howard 12

Blocks

Horford 1

Howard 2

Assists

Horford 3

Howard 1

Turnovers

Horford 2

Howard 3

It's sort of a push.  But because Horford does it so quietly, folks dont realize how good this guy really is.

All I'm saying is that I'd rather pay a healthy Horford $12m for similar productiin than max Dwight and hope Orlando Dwight shows at some point in the next 5 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users