Photo

How do the Lakers stack up against the best of the West?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 zmarchbank

zmarchbank

Rookie

• 132 posts
  • Name:Zach
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, Fisher

Posted March 05, 2013 - 06:49 AM

On a number scale, with the best team in the West being a 100, what would the Lakers number be?

(100 does not imply a perfect team, but simply the best team in the West that the scale is based on)

My ratings right now (and they're subject to change in the playoffs) would be:

1. San Antonio (with a healthy Parker): 100

2. OKC Thunder: 97

3. LA Clippers: 94

4. Denver: 90

5. Memphis: 88

6. Houston: 84

7. LA Lakers: 82

8. GS Warriors: 80

We're winning a lot more games lately, but I see things like us blowing a 16 pt lead against Atlanta (although we got the win) and then a Denver team, who beat us by 11, blow the same Atlanta team out. Yes, this was on a back-to-back, but I think it definitely solidifies we're a decent way behind Denver right now. By the time the playoffs start, I think we could definitely close the gap.

What are everyone else's ratings?

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,933 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 05, 2013 - 06:58 AM

were 9th seed hoping to steal the 8th seed. Thats all that matters. 

#3 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 336 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:10 AM

I pretty much agree but I have OKC ahead of SAS. Especially when thinking about the playoffs. Chalk that up to youth I guess.

#4 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Zeus
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:24 AM

I really don't think there is any way we could beat the Clippers or Nuggets in a 7 game series. Not saying we could beat OKC or SAS but i really dont think we can play in Denver or match the Clippers' depth and youth enough to put up any kind of a fight. Not saying we can't improve to be a team that can compete with those top four, but as it stands, we would get swept by DEN and LAC

Edited by idontevenknow, March 05, 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#5 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,765 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 05, 2013 - 11:18 AM

To me it really depends on how we're playing come playoff time, since this team seems to be improving slowly. Right now I don't think the Lakers could beat any of the top 4-5 seeds in a 7 game series, but you never know. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, March 05, 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,279 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 05, 2013 - 11:24 AM

9th.

#7 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,953 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted March 05, 2013 - 01:41 PM

Look at record fool
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#8 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,800 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Teams im not too worried about, the spurs, the grizzlies, utah, warriors, in some ways the clippers, and i dont worry about the nuggets away from home, i only worry about okc when we have turnover problems really. If we force teams primarily to play in the half court only the Spurs really can contendconsistently with us there, and even then not without Parker. All the other teams depend on turnovers and running us, but when forced into a halfcourt game with us struggle.

Problem is we've let the clippers and the nuggets run on us more than forcing them into a halfcourt game. Thats the issue.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#9 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,765 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Teams im not too worried about, the spurs, the grizzlies, utah, warriors, in some ways the clippers, and i dont worry about the nuggets away from home, i only worry about okc when we have turnover problems really. If we force teams primarily to play in the half court only the Spurs really can contendconsistently with us there, and even then not without Parker. All the other teams depend on turnovers and running us, but when forced into a halfcourt game with us struggle.
Problem is we've let the clippers and the nuggets run on us more than forcing them into a halfcourt game. Thats the issue.

Yeah what I'm most nervous about is teams running the Lakers out of the building.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,800 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Also the two times we lost to OKC we didnt have our lineup.

The first loss was without Nash, Blake or Gasol.

Our second loss to them was without Gasol, Howard or Blake!

In fact the one time they ever faced a healthy lineup of ours(without Hill still) was the one we won.

I think we matchup better with them than we initially thought.

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,800 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:18 PM

From what ive seen tonight, id rather matchup against OKC in the first round(if we're healthy). They seem to be a top tier team we can fight on level with when healthy, and by healthy i mean everyone but Hill. Don't see them beating us 4 games in the playoffs at full strength(or as full as we can be without Hill)

Can't see the game now as I left the restaurant, but from what i saw we kept cutting the lead and surviving their bursts.
No doubt in my mind at full strength we beat them in the playoffs.

Actually the only time we did play them at full strength we won. Still some things to work on though and Dwight had a bad game Nash had a bad first half.

But nothing im worried about. Worried more about a team like the spurs tbh.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,800 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:24 PM

I left when Nash missed the 3 that would have cut it to 3. If that means anything.

#13 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,536 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:28 PM

From what ive seen tonight, id rather matchup against OKC in the first round(if we're healthy). They seem to be a top tier team we can fight on level with when healthy, and by healthy i mean everyone but Hill. Don't see them beating us 4 games in the playoffs at full strength(or as full as we can be without Hill)

Can't see the game now as I left the restaurant, but from what i saw we kept cutting the lead and surviving their bursts.

Actually the only time we did play them at full strength we won. Still some things to work on though and Dwight had a bad game Nash had a bad first half.

whoever we're gonna face in the 1st round if we barely even squeeze in the 8th seed, the outcome will be the same. 

Edited by ツ  , March 05, 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#14 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,009 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Worried more about a team like the spurs tbh.

I don't understand why some people keep saying this.

Pau Gasol is TRASH

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,800 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:32 PM

I don't understand why some people keep saying this.

Spurs are the only team in the top 3 that can play a halfcourt set. Which makes them more dangerous as that is our best advantage. Teams like OKC the clippers the warriors etc have no halfcourt offense, and when the playoffs slows pace down teams like that struggle. The spurs are different, they can play in the halfcourt and also run some.

So slowing down their pace to a halfcourt is what we want to do, but they can beat us at it too.

Againsrt OKC and the Clippers its more or less forcing them into a halfcourt game and limiting turnovers. Against the Spurs its a whole different animal as they'd actually WANT to play our pace.

#16 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,524 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Were we watching the same game?  We lost by 17 points.  We gave up 122 points.  The opponent shot under 50%, if they hadn't it would have been really ugly.  Our center was 1-7 and appeared to be somewhere else mentally.

#17 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,009 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Spurs are the only team in the top 3 that can play a halfcourt set. Which makes them more dangerous as that is our best advantage. Teams like OKC the clippers the warriors etc have no halfcourt offense, and when the playoffs slows pace down teams like that struggle. The spurs are different, they can play in the halfcourt and also run some.

So slowing down their pace to a halfcourt is what we want to do, but they can beat us at it too.

Againsrt OKC and the Clippers its more or less forcing them into a halfcourt game and limiting turnovers. Against the Spurs its a whole different animal as they'd actually WANT to play our pace.

Spurs haven't won anything in what...7 years? 

If they face OKC...they'll lose. If they face the Clippers...they'll lose. If they face Memphis...they'll lose. Hell, they choke so much that if by some miracle we make the playoffs we may actually beat them. Spurs have been withering away for many years.

Pau Gasol is TRASH

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,343 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Spurs are like the Patriots, they can MAKE IT TO THE FINALS, but they can't beat the Heat

#19 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,272 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Spurs haven't won anything in what...7 years? 

If they face OKC...they'll lose. If they face the Clippers...they'll lose. If they face Memphis...they'll lose. Hell, they choke so much that if by some miracle we make the playoffs we may actually beat them. Spurs have been withering away for many years.

I agree. I'd much rather play the spurs than the thunder. 

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,800 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Were we watching the same game? We lost by 17 points. We gave up 122 points. The opponent shot under 50%, if they hadn't it would have been really ugly. Our center was 1-7 and appeared to be somewhere else mentally.

Saw the game up until Nash missed the 3 that would have cut it to three. As I posted up there, before I left.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users