Photo

Josh Smith: "I would be shocked if Dwight leaves. He talks well about the franchise."

Daily News

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:51 PM

20130304_122102_BKN-Hawk_500.jpg
Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith reacts after receiving a foul during the second half of their NBA basketball game against the Lakers on Sunday at Staples Center. The Lakers won 99-98. ( (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill))

Even though the two say they have haven't kept in touch much this season, Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith remains sure about a few things surrounding his longtime friend Lakers center Dwight Howard.

First, Smith says he has a good idea on whether Howard will stay with the Lakers once he becomes an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

"I can't pick his brain and be in his head but to me, I don't see him going anywhere," Smith said before the Lakers hosted the Hawks at Staples Center.

"It would be a shock to me."

Why?

"Dwight is a loyal athlete and loyal person," Smith said. "He's not a quitter and doesn't run from situations. That's why I believe with this franchise and the way he's talked so well about it, I can't see him going anywhere."

Howard has refused to divulge publicly his intentions this offseason until that moment comes. Should he stay with the Lakers, he would re-sign for five years worth $117.9 million. That's a huge jump compared to the four-year, $87.6 million deal he'd have with another team.

Still, Howard has encountered frustrations on his first season with the Lakers. That's included rehabbing from 10-month old back surgery, a torn labrum in his right shoulder, a relatively diminished offensive role and larger media scrutiny.

"He's grasping that," Smith said. "He's trying to find his way on this team and trying to get back healthy. That's the biggest thing he's doing and worrying about. He's getting his legs back under him and he's starting to block more shots. It's going to take some time."

Howard and Smith grew up together in Atlanta and played on the same AAU team. To this day, they often talk about eventually becoming teammates again.

"Situations like that are far fetched so it's more, `What if we play with each other?"' Smith said. "In AAU basketball, we had a ton of success. You never know what the future entails. But we can talk about it. It might not necessarily happen. But it's a good conversation."

But Smith stressed neither he nor Howard are actively trying to ensure that outcome.

"If it happens, it'll be crazy," Smith said. "But you never know. "

http://www.dailynews...kers?source=rss

#2 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,623 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 04, 2013 - 01:03 PM

nice.....

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#3 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,447 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted March 04, 2013 - 01:11 PM

It's a smoke screen to mask what Smith feels about his city and its fans

Like the Pacers, the Hawks also have a terrible attendance record despite being a winning team

Edited by alec613, March 04, 2013 - 01:12 PM.

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,884 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 04, 2013 - 01:13 PM

smith take league min for one season, come to LA and we resign you to a big contract next season. lol 

#5 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted March 04, 2013 - 02:30 PM

smith take league min for one season, come to LA and we resign you to a big contract next season. lol 

pipe dream

I say trade gasoft and duhon

for him and anthony morrow

Edited by underworldmike, March 04, 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

#6 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 817 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 04, 2013 - 02:55 PM

pipe dream

I say trade gasoft and duhon

for him and anthony morrow

pipe dream

morrow is with dallas now

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,175 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 04, 2013 - 04:50 PM

That last sentence is going to make a lot of people wonder if Smith is definitely going to be here next year.

Dwight said last night that Smith's goal is to win a Championship(which he can't do in atlanta) and he can't do on any team that would offer him a max contract.

If we make the playoffs and go far while the Hawks are eliminated early, not only do I feel like Dwight is staying, but Smith may be arriving for less money.

It all depends really.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#8 Rad

Rad

• 1,641 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 05:05 PM

^ if Smith's comments get Kupchak thinking, that's a start.

#9 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,711 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 04, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Wants a max deal and to win... I can only think about Houston, San Antonio or OKC. If he wants max money and get touches, he goes with Houston..
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#10 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,884 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wants a max deal and to win... I can only think about Houston, San Antonio or OKC. If he wants max money and get touches, he goes with Houston..

I dont think any of those teams would give him max. There all low budget teams.

#11 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,464 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted March 04, 2013 - 06:06 PM

I'll try to get him to take more money than he have right now, but if that does happen and he wants the max I would still probably do it. I mean, as long as Kobe is on the team we are in win now mode. If we wanna beat the top teams I think we need him. He get stops and he causes match up problems on offense. Plus, he can get Dwight more space in the paint.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, March 04, 2013 - 06:15 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,175 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 04, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Yeah he doesn't think dwight is leaving LA and thinks playing on the same team with him would be great.. Hmm...

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#13 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,826 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:02 PM

There is no way we get Smith. Not the Mitch wouldn't want to have him, but under the new CBA it's simply not possible. Being over the cap we can be the receiver of a sign-and-traded player.

The fastest way to get Josh Smith is if he signs a deal somewhere else and then gets traded to LA during the 2013-14 season.

He did say a few encouraging things about Dwight though.

#14 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:06 PM

There is no way we get Smith. Not the Mitch wouldn't want to have him, but under the new CBA it's simply not possible. Being over the cap we can be the receiver of a sign-and-traded player.

The fastest way to get Josh Smith is if he signs a deal somewhere else and then gets traded to LA during the 2013-14 season.

I could be wrong, but I think there may be a loophole in the new CBA for teams over the cap being able to sign and trade? This is why people were still giving Brooklyn a small chance of going after Dwight in the summer.

#15 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,884 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:09 PM

technically he could take league min but yea theres no chance. Im pretty sure were all just kidding.

#16 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,826 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:30 PM

I could be wrong, but I think there may be a loophole in the new CBA for teams over the cap being able to sign and trade? This is why people were still giving Brooklyn a small chance of going after Dwight in the summer.

There's not. Brooklyn can't get Dwight and people who believe that are wrong. Unfortunately.

According to the new CBA teams over the cap cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade deal. AND the maximum length of a deal is 4 years, so basically the only incentive a team has to do a sign-and-trade is if they cannot afford to sign the player straight up for the money he wants.

Unfortunately for the Lakers, if Dwight wants to leave, he can get a 4-yr max deal in Houston and i dont know why they would want to do a sign-and-trade with us.

#17 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,711 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I dont think any of those teams would give him max. There all low budget teams.

But the main reason Huoston is low right now, is because they want D12... Why not go after his buddy? They have made moves purposely to be way under the cap. They will super active close to the draft too. Daryl Morey has been an active mofo... I wouldn't put it passed him to spend big to get Smith. Huoston could spend about 9 mil on both Smith and Howard and be under 71mil. Piped dream? Maybe.
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#18 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,826 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:18 AM

But the main reason Huoston is low right now, is because they want D12... Why not go after his buddy? They have made moves purposely to be way under the cap. They will super active close to the draft too. Daryl Morey has been an active mofo... I wouldn't put it passed him to spend big to get Smith. Huoston could spend about 9 mil on both Smith and Howard and be under 71mil. Piped dream? Maybe.

Houston can only sign one of the two. I know they're friends and could give up a little bit to play together, but for both of them to sign as FAs in Houston, they'd have to give up 10 million each. Wont happen.

What could happen, God forbid, is that Houston aquires Smith via a sign-and-trade involving Omer Asik. This would give them more than an edge in the Howard sweepstakes and they could really be a force going forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users