28 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:05 PM

http://www.reddit.co...im_an_athletic/

I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I've been seeing the videos of Kobe's most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"

"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"

"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."

"Huh?"

"Like, the conditioning. Good work."

"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."

"So when did you finish?"

"Finish what?"

"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"

"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn't a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.

Rob.

Edited by MDI, March 04, 2013 - 10:32 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,355 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Wow!

#3 Rad

Rad

• 1,631 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:26 PM

There you have it folks, what champions are made of.

#4 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:47 PM

That's why it will be the saddest day on earth when he retires.

Posted Image

#5 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:51 PM

We're more likely to see the next Lebron before we see the next Kobe, if there ever is one.

#6 Roidz

Roidz

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB, L.O., Dwight, Glen Rice

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:53 PM

Just amazing

"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection." -Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted Image

#7 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:59 PM

I have a compilation of many such quotes about Kobe. This is another great testament to his work ethic. It's incredibly inspirational, really. I'm not sure if I've heard such high words spoken about any other player's (or person's, for that matter) drive to succeed. 

#8 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,893 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 12:06 AM

Amazing... glad he shared it.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#9 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 778 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 12:26 AM

When they talk about Kobe's work ethic, doesn't do justice in just saying those words. He took it to another level.

What intrigues me is how he shuts his body down when he rests. I mean, we all know (from articles) that he doesn't sleep that much. He must have mastered the art of power naps.  :clap2:

#10 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted March 05, 2013 - 12:33 AM

We all know GodBe is amazing... nothing new

Edited by alec613, March 05, 2013 - 12:33 AM.

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#11 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 02:02 AM

Its always better to add the learn factor to entertainment.

#12 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 02:37 AM

Love Kobe's work ethic.

The North Remembers

#13 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:32 AM

It's amazing after all these years that Kobe still loves the game as much as he ever has. Really inspiring. Most casual fans would say Bryant isn't a good role model for kids, but he really is. Classic example of a guy who has gotten everything out of the talent he has and just a ridiculously hard worker.
htCCl0m.png

#14 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,124 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted March 05, 2013 - 04:10 AM

Simply amazing 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,101 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 05, 2013 - 04:31 AM

If the most talented trained like someone with no talent trying to make it to the same level they'd be unstoppable.

That was Kobe, he had and has all the talent in the world but he trains as if he had to compensate for not having any. That is why he's so great.

Its easy to see who will flame out once their athleticism is gone, because they train and take shortcuts because of their athleticism and talent and will be flamed out by 31.
Kobe is a different force altogether.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#16 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Look it's pretty obvious, why are we all dancing around the fact......I'll be man enough to say it..........Kobe is a basketball robot god, sent from the future to dominate the NBA. 

#17 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Amazing ! I wonder how he stays healthy with so little sleep ..

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#18 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Pineapple winner!

• 1,790 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Amazing ! I wonder how he stays healthy with so little sleep ..

I remember reading some interview in which he said that he sleeps only 2 and half hours a day. I was like,damn it,2 and a half,If I don't have at least 6,I'll be a walking zombie. But I think his diet and simply quiet family life style allow him to sneak it through the night with only 2 hours of sleep. And of course,his determination and will. 

Impossible is nothing.

#19 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,749 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:37 AM

There's this legitimate sleep technique where u sleep 30 minutes 4-5 times day spaced out 5-6 hours apart, the objective is to deprive the body of REM sleep for the first week (which, as u guys can imagine, [expletive]in sucks), so that when u do actually sleep, u go right into REM sleep (which is the most mentally restorative sleep). The theory behind it is that a regular 7-8 hour night of sleep (with its regular cycles) can only get u around 1.5 of REM sleep, whereas this technique gets u 2 to 2.5 hours of REM sleep

I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe did something insane like this to compensate for his schedule.

2div

#20 DameC24

DameC24

16!

• 535 posts
  • Name:Dame
  • Fan Since:When I seen my first Laker game on CBS
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:59 AM

No one has this type of work ethic in the league I don't think. This is amazing. I hope some young players read this article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users