Photo

Lakers Post All-Star Break Race To Playoffs: Week 3 (Updated Pg. 3)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,101 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 10, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Teams that play slow pave and halfcourt matchup badly against us, the only team that worries me in the half court is san antonio given their depth and their coach and their skill in the halfcourt set. But the Indiana Pacers and Bulls teams etc I don't worry that much about in half court vs half court games :).

Back to back WILL be tough, we gotta beat Orlando at "least"!

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#42 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Teams that play slow pave and halfcourt matchup badly against us, the only team that worries me in the half court is san antonio given their depth and their coach and their skill in the halfcourt set. But the Indiana Pacers and Bulls teams etc I don't worry that much about in half court vs half court games :).

Back to back WILL be tough, we gotta beat Orlando at "least"!

Howard gonna smash Vucevic or however you spell it. 

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#43 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,355 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted March 10, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Btw we got ATL next away game too [expletive]!

#44 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,347 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 10, 2013 - 02:19 PM

we are back baby !!!!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#45 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts
  • Name:Tupac
  • Fan Since:96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Btw we got ATL next away game too [expletive]!

Yeah thats the problem. I think we'll beat Orlando and Indiana.

To Live and Die in L.A

• 40,400 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 05:16 PM

THAT'S IT! PORTLAND LOSES! PELICANS WIN 98-96!!!

yo.

#47 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Should have won that game, but when you miss layups, simple ones, you're just giving away the game.

To Live and Die in L.A

#48 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,101 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 05:06 AM

Should have won that game, but when you miss layups, simple ones, you're just giving away the game.

Yep Metta's misses we kind of expect 50 50 from when under pressure as we do with Meeks.

But Nash and Kobe missing them was unheard of. 9 times out of 10 we win that game.

But then again Nash and Kobe had their worst shooting performances of the season(you know that when Metta shoots a higher percentage). And it was a 2 point game before Kobe got hurt.

Should have won, but I can live with it. I just want Kobe to be ok.

#49 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Another +1 on our predicted pace

To Live and Die in L.A

#50 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,101 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yep imagine if we'd beat Atlanta we'd have been undefeated during the stretch if that fouls called on Kobe we had a shot. But we beat the 2nd best team in the East on the road without only a quarter to Kobe.

#51 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,871 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 15, 2013 - 10:05 PM

progression

#52 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Suns, Wizards, GSW, Bucks, Wolves, Kings left this month.

We could be 42-32 by the end of March.

To Live and Die in L.A

#53 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I don't see any reason we don't go 7-0

#54 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:20 PM

AirTupac, I see you post a lot in Insidehoops, like whats up with all the kids over there? I cant even get a useful information, about the Lakers at least.. Its either Kobe homers like 9erempire or big haters like Derivative lol.

#55 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:38 PM

AirTupac, I see you post a lot in Insidehoops, like whats up with all the kids over there? I cant even get a useful information, about the Lakers at least.. Its either Kobe homers like 9erempire or big haters like Derivative lol.

It's a pretty bad forum where trolls run loose. Only reason I stick around is cause every now and then there is a golden thread that is absolutely hilarious. Some of the trolls and their comments are pretty funny as well. I come here for my serious Laker info haha.

To Live and Die in L.A

#56 Ace

Ace

Rookie

• 587 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:12 AM

I don't see any reason we don't go 7-0

Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't. -Jerry Rice

#57 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Well the Pacers win evens it out...

To Live and Die in L.A

#58 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,101 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yep it does, the Houston vs Utah game helps us regardless luckily.

#59 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:05 PM

At least Utah is about to lose

To Live and Die in L.A

#60 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Below are predicted scenarios where the Lakers can pass GSW, UTAH, or HOU. If any of these teams get above +0 against the predicted pace, it's bad for us. If everyone is at 0, it means we're on track for the playoffs. If we go into the negative, it's bad. If they go into the negative, awesome. First letter is actual result (W/L), second is predicted result.

This thread will be updated daily and once a week I'll do a weekly update.

Summary of the week: Despite minor setbacks for Pau and an injury to Kobe, this was another excellent week for LA, who went 4-1 against a tough schedule and continued to build chemistry and momentum towards the playoffs. And with the pressure on, Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson hung 55 points on Houston to blow them out by 30, kicking Houston down to 1/2 a game behind us, effectively locking them in as our next target. Golden State went 3-2, Utah 2-2 against a tough schedule, and Houston actually had the worst week going 2-2 against a bunny schedule and finally dropping behind the pace.

We Gives thanks to...: The league, for letting us know "ooops, that was a foul" - thanks guys, tell it to the scoreboard. Steve Blake, who dropped what I'd like to call a vintage performance over the last two games... except I'm not sure he was ever this good. Orlando, for helping Dwight face his demons and shoot 80% on a hack-a-Dwights, a great sign for our hopes in the playoffs. Chicago, for rolling over to us to start the week and then knocking Golden State down a few days later. Monta Ellis & Brandon Jennings AGAIN, for outdueling the Thompson/Curry with 57 efficient points, blazing the team to a win, a favour Thompson & Curry would pass on to Harden/Parsons later in the week. Phoenix, for somehow beating a Houston team that needs every win by 2.

Lakers predicted finish : 20-8 to finish at 45-37

Actual Finish (So far) : 11-3

+/- Against predicted pace : +3

Games out of 6th : 2

Schedule Strength : 6 of lakers last 14 games are against current playoff teams. 3 of those 6 are against elite playoffs teams (>60% win %). They have 5 games against basement teams (<40% win %) and 6 against mid-range teams (40-60%). 7 are at home and 7 on the road.

Analysis : This next week and a half is the easiest part of the Lakers closing schedule. Amazingly we have gone through the toughest part of the schedule and are 3 games ahead of pace on an optimistic goal of 20-8 (I had Lakers at 8-6 through 14 games, not 11-3). Now the challenge becomes focus: With Kobe and Pau out for an undermined amount of time, the Lakers cannot drop any games against the bunny teams. Our playoff odds are in great shape, but this team really needs to do everything it can to get to the 6th seed, and that means no room for slip ups against Phoenix, Washington, Minnesota or Milwaukee.

Weekly Update: Very strong week from LA, as we found ways to win against two very good eastern teams (Indiana and Chicago), got Dwight through his return to Orlando, and closed things out with some excellent team ball and great bench play with Kobe out. This week has turned the corner from "fighting for our playoff lives" to "putting the pressure on Golden State and Houston for the 6th and 7th seed" and that's awesome to see. We're ahead of even the most optimistic expectations, and as long as we don't go into a lull against the basement teams, we will be very tough for Houston and GSW to outpace down the stretch and we'll be hitting out peak at exactly the right time. As long as Kobe heals okay his injury may even be a blessing in disguise, as Jamison and Blake have really secured their roles and the chemistry and trust from top to bottom keeps getting stronger.

Player of the Week: Special shout out to Steve Blake, who put up 17/7 the last two games and Antawn Jamison, who dropped 27 on the Kings, but I'm giving this one to Dwight Howard. Howard averaged 19.4 points, 16.4 rebounds and 3.4 blocks a game over the week. Since the ASG he has really started playing the game LA needs from him: He's dominating defensively, he's communicating, he's setting better screens and he's finishing every broken play. His post ups still haven't looked great, but his turnovers are down, he beat Hack-a-Dwight in Orlando, and if Earl Clark gracefully gives up his minutes for Pau and Dwight gives Pau his Post ups, this team is going to be extremely hard to slow down defensively in the post-season.

Daily Update :

Complete : BOS(W-W), POR(W-W), @DAL(W-W), @DEN(L-L), MIN(W-W) | ATL(W-L), @OKC(L-L), @NOH(W-W), TOR(W-W) | CHI(W-L), @ORL(W-W), @ATL(L-L), @IND(W-L), SAC(W-W) |

Incomplete :@PHX(X-W), WAS(X-W), @GSW(X-W), @MIN(X-W), @MIL(X-W), @SAC(X-W), DAL(X-W), MEM(X-L), @LAC(X-L), NOH(X-W), @POR(X-W), GSW(X-W), SAS(X-W), HOU(X-W)

Golden State Warriors predicted finish : 15-15 to finish 45-37

Actual Finish (So far) : 8-8

+/- Against predicted pace : +0

Games Ahead of Lakers : 2 (6.5 before All-Star break)

Schedule Strength : 5 of their final 14 are against playoff teams, 3 against elite teams, 6 against basement dwellers, 5 against mid-range teams. 9 of 14 are at home.

Analysis : Their closing schedule is not a tough one, but they do have two games left against LA. Our ability to overtake them will likely depend on winning those two games, as we cant count on their schedule to provide much resistance down the stretch.

Weekly Update: Milwaukee did us a big favour with a big win over them, but they got back in the drivers seat by absolutely obliterating NYK, DET and HOU (by a combined 67 points). Curry continued to play well, drilling 46% of his 3s for the week, but what should really scare Lakers fans is Bogut slowly returning to form. He isn't really scoring, but he has recorded double digit rebounds in 3 of the last 5 games and has 8 blocks over the last 3. If he can get any of his defensive mojo back, the Curry/Thompson/Lee/Bogut core may actually prove the be the better version of Harden/Parsons/Lin/Asik.

Player of the Week: Still gotta be Stephen Curry, as the team basically goes whichever way he's going. This week he averaged 28.6 points and 57% from 3 in their 3 wins and 12 points, 18% from 3 in their 2 losses. Basically when he's making shots anyone they play is in trouble, and that's pretty often. He also averaged 7 assists for the week. Solid week for David Lee as well, who continues to be an efficient double double machine and an underrated playmaker despite being ranked as one of the worst rim protectors in the league.

Daily Update :

Complete : @UTA(L-L), PHX(W-W), SAS(W-L), @MIN(W-W), @IND(L-L), @NYK(L-L) | @BOS(L-L), @PHI(L-W), TOR(W-W), SAC(W-W), HOU(L-L) | MIL(L-W), NYK(W-W), DET(W-W), CHI(L-L), @HOU W-L) |

Incomplete :@NOH(X-W), @SAS(X-L), WAS(X-W), LAL(X-L), SAC(X-W), POR(X-L), NOH(X-W), @PHX(X-W), UTA(X-L), MIN(X-L), OKC(X-L), @LAL(X-L), SAS(X-W), @POR(X-W)

Utah Jazz predicted finish : 13-15 to finish 43-39

Actual Finish (So far) : 4-8

+/- Against predicted pace : +0

Games Ahead of Lakers : -1 (5.5 before ASG)

Schedule Strength : 8 of 16 games against playoff teams, 6 against elite teams, 5 against basement dwellers and 5 against mid-range teams. 10 of 16 at home.

Analysis : Despite going 4-8 since the ASG, Utah isn't behind their expected pace - their schedule is just that hard. And this is going to be another very tough week for them. Now on the outside looking in, Utah will have to pull some incredible upsets to make it into the playoffs. I expect this week to be the last gasp of their playoff hopes.

Weekly Update: Utah kept their playoff hopes alive with a surprising 90-84 win over Memphis, but with games against New York and Oklahoma, they never had much chance of keeping pace with LA. They will need a lot more upsets this week with New York Houston and San Antonio coming up if they want to have a chance. If they pull any, lets hope it's against Houston.

Player of the Week: They've been going deep into their bench in blowout losses all week, but I'll have to give it to Gordon Hayward again, who seems to be the only player consistently producing lately. He averaged 15.75 points per game for the week to go with 4 rebounds and 2.5 assists.

Daily Update :

Complete : GSW(W-W), @LAC(L-L), BOS(L-L), ATL(L-L) | CHA(W-W), @MIL(L-W), @CLE(L-L), @CHI(L-L) | @NYK(L-L), DET(W-W), @OKC(L-L), MEM(W-L) |

Incomplete : NYK(X-W), @HOU(X-L), @SAS(X-L), @DAL(X-W), PHI(X-W), PHX(X-W), @POR(X-L), BRK(X-L), POR(X-W), DEN(X-L), NOH(X-W), @GSW(X-W), OKC(X-L), MIN(X-W), @MIN(X-W), MEM(X-L)

Houston Rockets predicted finish : 15-12 to finish 44-38

Actual Finish (So far) : 7-5

+/- Against predicted pace : -2

Games Ahead of Lakers : .5 (3.5 before ASG)

Schedule Strength : 7 of 15 games against playoff teams, 6 against elite teams, 6 against trash and 3 against mid-range teams. 9 of 15 at home

Analysis : After blowing a bunny against Phoenix this week, Houston's schedule is actually going to start getting tough. As rock solid as Harden's production has been, Houston still hasn't shown a real ability to consistently beat bad teams, and their results seem to just come from whether the team is making outside shots or not. They are still the kind of team that can blow out good teams when they're hot though, so it's hard to say which direction they're going to go over the last few weeks.

Weekly Update: This was a pretty bad week for Houston, as they're actually further behind the pace than GSW or Utah now, despite having two strong weeks post ASG. Losing to Phoenix is going to cost them big time in this closing run, and they're about to have their first legitimately tough week, with San Antonio, Indiana and Memphis all coming up plus a desperate Utah team that may have some fight left after beating Memphis. Losing to Golden State likely cost them their shot at 6th seed, and may cost them 7th seed to LA as well. Houston will need some big games from Harden and Parsons against the elite teams this week to give themselves a chance.

Player of the Week: It was an unusually weak week for Chandler Parsons and an unusually strong one for Jeremy Lin, who averaged 17 points and 5.5 Assists for the week... but it's still got to be James Harden, who hasn't really seen any dip in his 1st option production since a couple "eff you" months after getting traded. This week he put down a 38/8/5 and 37/8/7 night and averaged 28.5 PPG, 7 Assists and 6 Rebounds a game, and shot a blistering 56% from 3. The only bad news? He averaged 5 turn overs a game for the week and was out-dueled by Curry in Houston. The question isn't whether Harden is a legit 1st option or not, it's whether his support can give him enough in the playoffs to really compete. Parsons for my money is a great player, but I'm not so sure Lin and Asik can keep up on offense.

Daily Update :

Complete : OKC(W-L), @BRK(W-L), @WAS(L-W), MIL(L-W) | @ORL(W-W), DAL(W-W), @DAL(L-L), @GSW(W-W) |@PHX(L-W), PHX(W-W), MIN(W-W), GSW(L-W) |

Incomplete : UTA(X-W), CLE(X-W), SAS(X-L), IND(X-L), @MEM(X-L), LAC(X-L), ORL(X-W), @SAC(X-W), @POR(X-L), @DEN(X-L), PHX(X-L), MEM(X-L), SAC(X-W), @PHX(X-W), @LAL(X-L)

Tie Breakers As per request :

• Summary: Utah > Lakers, Houston > Golden State all the rest TBD over the last chunk of the season.

To Live and Die in L.A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users