Photo

Metta: "NBA doesn't protect Dwight."

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,551 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Metta+World+Peace+Portland+Trail+Blazers

By Mike Bresnahan
March 2, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

Metta World Peace didn't want to talk. No way. No comment.

Of course, he couldn't help himself and began a 16-minute discourse on a variety of topics.

First and foremost: The NBA isn't doing enough to protect Lakers teammate Dwight Howard.

"Dwight gets fouled a lot intentionally. Dwight goes up, they push him in the back," World Peace said Saturday. "So I'll let you guys do your research from here on out, just monitor how Dwight gets fouled. Is it an intentional foul or not? Because y'all aren’t looking for those things unless it’s brought to your attention.

"I'm not complaining. Sometimes he gets hurt. Those are intentional fouls. He's getting hurt. He got hurt when he got pushed in Orlando [last season]. These guys are coming down on his back. He had to get surgery as a result of that. And he missed games. He's not complaining. He's a little upset but he goes out there and plays. And those [fouls] are multiple occasions."

World Peace also defended his own reputation after the NBA hit him with a flagrant 2 for elbowing Denver forward Kenneth Faried in the mouth while boxing out in the Lakers' 119-108 loss Monday to the Nuggets.

"The young generation coming up is being mixed with this old generation that's kind of slowly going out. And George Karl knows. Come on," World Peace said. "He's been in this NBA longer than me. He knows the era of basketball."

Karl, the Nuggets' coach, said World Peace's act was "premeditated."

World Peace countered by saying he got "flared" in the face by Denver center JaVale McGee earlier in that game.

"But I'm not going to say, 'Call it in' [to the NBA]… I'm not that type of guy," World Peace said. "A couple years ago, Marc Gasol flared his arms, broke my nose. Spitting up blood and coughing up blood. I'm not going to call it in."

World Peace, who has been suspended by the league 11 times since 2003, laid out why he shouldn't be blamed for his latest transgression. And perhaps many of them too.

"I came to the NBA in '99. I started watching NBA basketball, like, in '95. The Knicks, Miami, I was a fan of those type of playoff series that took place in the NBA on TV and I wanted to play in that atmosphere," World Peace said. "So as a young kid I had to make a decision: I'm not going to be scared to play in that type of game. That's my mind frame. You look at [Michael] Jordan against Detroit, Jordan had to grow. They were bullying him. so I'm like, 'OK, that's never going to happen to me. When I get to the league, I dare somebody from, like, the Detroit Pistons to try to bully me.'

"I was in the league when I was a rookie, I remember Alonzo Mourning saying, 'You come in here again, young fella, blahblahblah.' I went in there again. Nineteen years old. Do it."

World Peace also remembered a game in which he was elbowed several times down the court by Glenn Robinson. He finally snapped.

"I told him, 'You just elbowed the wrong person. I took him and put him on the floor. Nineteen years old," he said. "That's how I grew up watching the game. What do you want me to do?"

While growing up, World Peace said he remembered playing in New York parks and projects where "there was only one way in and one way out."

"My man got hit over the head with a bottle while he was shooting a free throw. Bats and guns come out. We've got to get out. Next day we go to another 'hood and play ball. I'm a young kid and then watching the NBA, my mentality's already, 'I'm ready for this.'

"It's not like I brung this aggression to the league. I didn't invent this. This is what we watch. This is what we saw."

World Peace has five flagrant-foul "points" in the NBA's suspension system.

If he gets the lesser flagrant 1 called on him at any point before the end of the regular-season finale, he is suspended for one game. If he gets hit with the more egregious flagrant 2, he is suspended two games.

He went back to talking about Monday's loss in Denver, and elbowing Faried.

"The best offensive rebounder in the league is coming full speed… down your back. That impact is not soft. It hurts me too," World Peace said. "This guy's coming 100 miles an hour down my back. What am I supposed to do? Skinny up?" World Peace scrunched his shoulder together and looked like a pencil.

Then he added, "You wasn't taught to go like this." He raised his arms straight in the air.

"Looks like a cheerleader."

World Peace has had to play a lot of power forward and center in recent games.

"I can’t wait 'til Pau [Gasol] and Jordan [Hill] get back," he said, adding a list of taller players he's had to guard in their absence: Carlos Boozer, Zach Randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge, Dirk Nowitzki and "the big boy from Minnesota, I forget his name, it's a funny name." That would be center Nikola Pekovic.

"I'm not backing down to none of these guys," World Peace said. "I'm not even a power forward. I'm a small forward. I've got to go up against these guys every single night. I can't back down. What am I going to do? Let these guys come in and rebound every single time. Enough."

http://www.latimes.c...4923,full.story

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, March 02, 2013 - 03:02 PM.

• 40,378 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:39 PM

He's got a point for sure, but from the opponent's perspective, because Dwight is so strong combined with the fact that he shoots free throws so abysmally, these kind of harsh fouls should be expected. If he improved on his free throws especially, I think players would at least be slightly more hesitant to foul him as intentionally and often as they do. It's only strategy for the most part. Can't blame em'. That's on Dwight.

yo.

#3 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,028 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:16 PM

MWP better get used to playing more power forward. 

#4 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:12 PM

He's got a point for sure, but from the opponent's perspective, because Dwight is so strong combined with the fact that he shoots free throws so abysmally, these kind of harsh fouls should be expected. If he improved on his free throws especially, I think players would at least be slightly more hesitant to foul him as intentionally and often as they do. It's only strategy for the most part. Can't blame em'. That's on Dwight.

This is true and it is a good strategy, but I think MWP was trying to say that when people foul dwight they arent just trying to make the smart play, but rather targeting in on his back or taking a cheap shot since the refs are just gonna call a regular personal foul since everyone expects you to foul Dwight so he goes to the line. My guess since MWP said something around you guys dont notice this until its brought to your attention. People dont think second when someone fouls dwight since the smart thing to do is to send him to the line, but in all this people might lose sight that it is also a chance for someone to take a cheap shot since a personal is just gonna be called instead of an intentional foul like MWP is saying.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

• 40,378 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:29 PM

^ That may be true to some extent, but I'd like to think they just do it so harshly because of just how damn strong he is and wanting to make sure he doesn't get that potential 3PT play or whatever, rather make him earn it at the line, which sadly he usually doesn't obviously.

yo.

#6 Roidz

Roidz

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB, L.O., Dwight, Glen Rice

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:57 PM

That's ironic for Metta World Peace to say someone else has a funny name lol

"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection." -Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted Image

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,048 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:10 PM

You know how people say some players could have played in the 80s and early 90s and everyone says Kobe? Ron in his prime could have played back then too, hm and Kobe have the same mentality. Last of a breed soon to retire.

Kobe's the true last of the old school, But Ron could have played back in the day of enforcers, heck he'd probably had been one. But his toughness scruff and rough tactics and the physical wear and tear he used to be able to put on people he defended, in his prime he could have played back then imo.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#8 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:36 PM

^ That may be true to some extent, but I'd like to think they just do it so harshly because of just how damn strong he is and wanting to make sure he doesn't get that potential 3PT play or whatever, rather make him earn it at the line, which sadly he usually doesn't obviously.

Yea, but just because Howard is seen as strong is the same foul on someone else not a foul on him? The way some people foul him could easily be seen as a flagrant 1 on other players. I understand the guy is bigger so he needs to be fouled a little harder so he doesnt fight through the contact, but isnt that exactly what a flagrant 1 is?? Blantant and excessive force used, that why its beneficial to be strong in the league so you can fight through the contact to complete the 3 pt play not to be penelized by being foul harder to stop you from converted the play. A flagrant 1 "unnecessary and/or excessive contact." so by saying people need to use more force to stop him from making the and 1 is the defintion of a flagrant foul. Also lets not forget Dwight is getting fouled by people that are 6'10 and up hes not getting foul by a 6'2 guard where they need to actually have to try harder to stop him from making the play he is getting fouled by other big players so excessive contact shouldnt be seen as ok just because Dwight is one of the bigger centers in the league.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#9 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 587 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 03, 2013 - 12:11 AM

My exact sentiments. If jj Berea got hit with the force that dwight gets hit with, you get a 5 game suspension, LOL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users