#1 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,316 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted March 02, 2013 - 12:54 AM

fan_g_blake1x_200.jpg

LOS ANGELES -- There's no sugarcoating that Steve Blake's time with the Los Angeles Lakers has been mostly a disappointment so far.

Blake signed a four-year, $16 million contract with the Lakers in the summer of 2010 and has yet to live up to the expectations as a player that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said the team coveted since Blake's pre-draft workout with the team in 2003. 

But it hasn't been all Blake's fault. 

First there were schematics that worked against him. Both Phil Jackson's triangle offense and Mike Brown's post-up sets did not allow Blake to play his natural flow-based, read-and-react game. Mike D'Antoni's style finally seems to be a fit. 

Blake's body has also been to blame. 

Blake has been through enough bizarre injuries in his three years with the team to fill a season's worth of scripts for "House, M.D." He had a case of the chicken pox in 2010-11, then dealt with a costrochaondral fracture (a fracture of the cartilage connecting the rib to the sternum) last season. This season he had his training camp derailed when he stepped on a spike strip in a beach parking lot and punctured his foot, and then went on to miss 37 games because of a groin/abdomen injury that required surgery. 

However, now the backup point guard is both healthy and confident, and it's showing on the court. 

The Lakers' bench scored 52 points in their 116-94 win over the Minnesota Timberwolveson Thursday. Even though Antawn Jamison was the Lakers' leading scorer as a reserve against the Wolves with 17 points, he credited Blake (13 points, seven rebounds, six assists) as the key reason L.A.'s second unit was anything but second rate. 

"That's nice of him," Blake said about Jamison, in his typically understated style. 

Blake is averaging 5.3 points and 3.4 assists this season for L.A. -- both his highest marks since joining the team -- and he was even better in February, averaging 5.8 points in 19.0 minutes per game while shooting 46.6 percent from the field and 45.5 percent from 3-point range. 

Jodie Meeks, who have formed L.A.'s three-man bench trio. 

"This second group," Blake said, "We're settling into knowing our roles and the things we can get and how to play with each other." 

D'Antoni's faith in the three, starting with Blake, has been rewarded. 

"I've settled down with these guys and given them rope to play," D'Antoni said. "Before we were trying to find who could do it, who can't. I didn't know everybody and how they would fit, but with Steve Nash coming back [from a leg injury] and now Steve Blake, it helps these guys."

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 02, 2013 - 01:02 AM

It's not his fault, it was the Derek Fisher effect. 

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,170 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 02, 2013 - 01:12 AM

Yep, the second unit has been playing well cause we finally got the right point guard in there with them and they benefit tremendously.

As i said, Blake is a natural PnR point guard, put in a natural PnR position and those who tried to disagree as far as the difference he'd make, are humbly eating crow right now. But still hating ;)

He has a lot to do with why the second unit finally has a rhythm.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,884 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 02, 2013 - 01:29 AM

Blake >>>>>>> duhon or morris. I swear those guy killed us. I have no idea why either of the 2 are still in the NBA

#5 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,974 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted March 02, 2013 - 02:53 AM

I'm fine with Blake.

Having someone that can help stabilize the second unit to keep Nash well rested is much needed.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#6 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,170 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:10 AM

Now ya'll understand why DKantonu has always wanted Blake and Nash on the same team.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#7 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Now ya'll understand why DKantonu has always wanted Blake and Nash on the same team.

I know, we now have the privilege of watching two old PGs play matador defense. :woot: :woot: :woot:

Here's a sample from the Blazers fans' perspective, from when he was there (and younger and "quicker" :woot: :woot: :woot: ):

http://forums.realgm...ic.php?t=951238

Debbie Downer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users