• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:33 PM

He still sucks on defense (Which is expected since hes old) but hes been rock solid on offense. Hes filled in nicely in Pau's absence.  Not many minimum salaries players can put up the numbers he is putting up right now

Check it

https://twitter.com/...602301655347201

Jamison's 56.2 True Shooting % the best of his career other than his Sixth Man OF The Year season in Dallas.

^ also with Nash

https://twitter.com/...533461332303874

Things I learned this morning: Antawn Jamison is 6th in the NBA in points per possession as a roll man, at 1.392. BK

https://twitter.com/...551865007140865

In the last seven games Jamison has averaged 15.9 points while shooting 51.9% and the Lakers are 5-2 in those games

http://landolakers.c...nch-production/

For a while, save a few outbursts here and there — most notably a 33-point effort against Denver on Nov. 30 — Jamison wasn’t putting up enough points to overcome defensive shortcomings and keep him on the floor. So he wasn’t. Over 10 games between December 14 and January 6, Jamison, who before this season had never averaged fewer than the 22.5 minutes a night he played as a rookie in Golden State back in ’98-’99, played a grand total of 26.

After a fifth straight DNP-CD, Jamison, long considered one of the better locker room guys in the league, popped off. He would later apologize for making himself a distraction, but it was clear the relationship between Jamison and Mike D’Antoni wasn’t strong. Like a lot of things, it seems to have improved since that air-clearing January team meeting in Memphis.

“Me and him talked. It was tough at first, but now we have a relationship where if I see something, I can talk to him. He has no problem coming to me like, “Look, your minutes might go down in this game,” or “I’m going to try something new.” That’s what I’ve been accustomed to.”

Since making is way back into the rotation, Jamison has looked much more like the guy management expected. In January, he shot nearly 50 percent from the floor, and in 13 February games averaged 13.2 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 48.5 percent shooting, including 43.2 percent from downtown. Despite his defensive shortcomings, Jamison is boosting the bench, and D’Antoni is frequently keeping him on the floor late in games, with good cause. A lineup of Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Metta World Peace and Jamison has, according to 82Games.com, been arguably the team’s most productive. 

Early in the season, Jamison was deployed primarily as a spot-up shooter, something he can do, but isn’t ideally tailored to his skill set. Now, he’s being put in a wider variety of situations with far better results.

One big reason is Jamison’s ability to move away from the ball. According to Synergy, Thursday against Minnesota Jamison was part of 14 plays, only two of which were in isolation. The rest came on pick-and-rolls, as a cutter, or on the offensive glass. To say the least, this reflects season long trends. Only 1.1 percent of his possessions all year have come in isolation. Meanwhile, 369 of his 448 plays on the season have come on spot ups, cuts, roll situations, offensive rebounds, and in transition. He’s been particularly effective rolling off screens, averaging 1.392 points per possession, 6th best in the NBA.

No wonder Mike D’Antoni seems to love him so much, now.

“He understands spacing, he understands when to cut,” D’Antoni said Thursday. “He’s the type of basketball player that I love. I think the way he plays is easy to play with because you know what he’s doing. He cuts in at the right time. He slips picks and does a lot of things that makes a smart basketball player on the floor.”

Kobe clearly is happy to have him around.  ”He’s like a little cockroach,” Bryant cracked after the Minnesota game. “He just keeps finding cracks.”

“He has great timing, and his ability to read the defense. But I think it’s timing more than anything, though. A guy turns his head, and he’s gone. He plays extremely, extremely well off of me. I know as soon as I get loaded up against a double team, I know I can always find him somewhere,” he continued.

https://twitter.com/...600323084697601

Of the $140 million he's made in his career, Jamison joked: "I had a ski-mask on for a couple of years. I was robbing people."

Edited by MDI, March 01, 2013 - 01:37 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,603 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:34 PM

Lmao @ that last quote. Can't believe he'd say that.

yo.

#3 Roidz

Roidz

Rookie

• 1,264 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB, L.O., Glen Rice

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:43 PM

Lmao @ that last quote. Can't believe he'd say that.

Lol, one of the better quotes I've read lately.

"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection." -Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted Image

#4 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,618 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I love how quick he gets his shot up, in the paint or out on the perimeter. 

2hf753r.jpg

#5 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:49 PM

+1 for Jamison

Posted Image

#6 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 881 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:54 PM

The last quote was gold!!! Seriously though, I have to give props to Tawn. He really is looking like the guy we hoped we were getting at the start of the season now he has his role defined. Obviously we already knew that his defense would be a liabilty, but he was acquired for offensive punch off our bench. He has finally started to do this consistently and has really helped our bench production. His production offensively is at least just outweighing his defensive deficiency now. While he could hit a form slump just like anyone can, Im really glad he is doing well at the moment. I really hope he can maintain it for the rest of the season. Kudos to him for turning his earlier form around and making the most of the extra playing time with Gasol and Hill out.

#7 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:54 PM

And hes 276 points from reaching the 20,000 points plateau. Only 39 other players have done it and 99% of them are Hall of Fame caliber. Pretty insane

Check out the names right on top of him http://www.basketbal...pts_career.html

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#8 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,907 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:56 PM

So he's done with us after this year. 

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne

But Jamison talked to his ex-wife and she told him, ''For one year, I can hold it down [w/ the 4 kids] if this is what you want to do."

Impossible is nothing.

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:05 PM

every time I check the box score Im shocked. Hes been a great +

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#10 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:14 PM

Glad he's found his niche.. if only he was younger

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:26 PM

He's playing much better. His stand at the 3 point line play was dumb. The way he's playing now by cuttin to the basket and working more down low is much better

• 40,603 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Glad he's found his niche.

Only for this year.

yo.

#13 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Only for this year.

Lets hope he can convince his wife otherwise

Posted Image

• 40,603 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, he's been doing better than what he's getting paid imo. Definite steal.

yo.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:49 PM

Yep he has and that's great. Blake returning has a lot to do with it as well. He has known where to find Antawn and in the right areas. With Morris and Duhon he was relegated to basically not doing as much moving off the ball as they'd never find him, actually only Lkobe did and there was no Nash out there.

Since Blake's return to the bench he's been finding Jamison on a lot of cuts and rolls in the minutes they played and that carried over to minutes with Nash etc.

People really can disregard how important a good point guard can be. Jamison benefits tremendously.from it

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#16 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,046 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Jamison will play a big role if we ever go far in the playoffs. With his cuts, he can easy buckets even if the team is struggling. In an indirect way it can boost team's confidence if they're having a bad night and overcome deficits to where we can be back on track.

He's not consuming too much energy to figure out how he can get his buckets. This is a sign that the team is getting to know other's positioning.

Lets hope we can get this consistently throughout whatever is remaining. Now its more of seeing Meeks and Blake get a bit more of consistency. 

Blake has improved from last year. He's being more decisive( where he should be because of his critical position)

#17 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 881 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted March 01, 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yeah I actually give Steve Blake props as well. Since he has returned it has also helped immensely. He definitely improved our bench by putting Morris and Duhon to the back of the rotation where they belong. He really looks alot more comfortable and confident in this offense. While he is not the super athletic PG we'd like he is doing a good job playing his role as a back up. We are finally seeing the Blake that we expected to get 2 years ago. I know I personally haven't been impressed with Blakes underperforming the last 2 years so it is good to see him finally playing better. Hope he keeps it up and carries on his form for the rest of the season.

Edited by jax24, March 01, 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#18 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted March 01, 2013 - 04:14 PM

Jamison has been terrific. Great signing.
htCCl0m.png

#19 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,353 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted March 01, 2013 - 05:22 PM

I approve this thread 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#20 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted March 01, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Glad he's found his niche.. if only he was younger

U mean if only he could play defense!
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users