53 replies to this topic

#21 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,692 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Kobe averaged 35ppg in 2005-2006. I guess he should expect all good SGs to average those numbers

You missed the point.  The poster stated that Shaq never averaged 28/15.  He essentially did.  Whether Shaq's expectations of Dwight are reasonable, I dont know, they probably are not.   But he does have the credibility to speak to what it takes to average those kind of numbers, which the poster had incorrectly stated.

I dont mind debating reasonable points with folks, but I do mind people just throwing crap up here, expecting us to accept it as truth, when alot of it is just plain wrong and can be proven as such with minimal research.

#22 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 388 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:22 AM

The ultimate goal is obviously to win it all. But this situation is different than seasons of past. Lakers were a lock to get into the playoffs, but not so this year. For example, take the last week of the schedule. D'Antoni can't be thinking, "Maybe I'll let some of the older guys play less minutes, to save some legs for the playoff run". Instead D'Antoni is thinking, "I need to grind it out with Kobe and Nash to ensure a playoff berth".

So the short term goal definitely has to be to get into the playoffs. It's a different mindset. Once the Lakers are in, then they can revert back to the championship or bust attitude.

#23 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,135 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Lol you guys can't take a little negativity about our team? Anyways I expected Nash to say that because Nash's goals are different and he even said it himself "I'm content with my career as a player"

Dwight isn't content
Neither is Kobe

Also why would Nash(one of the leaders of this team) put more pressure on his players by saying basically "I'm old and I'm expecting a championship, even after our struggles." Nash wanted the guys in the locker room to feel like the underdogs(as he just said in a recent interview)

But the last thing I want to say is: don't get so worried about what the media says because they are all obviously going to down on the lakers until the lakers actually do what they said they are going to do, ripping the lakers is the obvious thing to do right now for media. If the heat had our record right now, they would say the same thing and we would love it.

#24 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,391 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 01, 2013 - 09:37 AM

lol like last week you said ship Dwight out ....now you are defending him lolz

#25 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,003 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted March 01, 2013 - 09:43 AM

lol like last week you said ship Dwight out ....now you are defending him lolz

flip floperity at its finest 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#26 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,656 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 01, 2013 - 10:32 AM

What I hate is the constant "Can you believe the Lakers are talking about trying to make the playoffs" question/statement.

people act like their analysis of this team in the summer accounted for Nash being injured the first 6 weeks of the season or that we would not have Hill or Pau for most of the season, or that Dwight would acquire a torn labrum.

They acted like we were supposed to compete wen we had Pau,Hill, and Dwight out at the same time or when those guys played and were not 100%.

When our PGs were Morris and duhon for a significant pasrt of the season.   I think NBA analysts are getting lazy.

A team with Kobe Bryant and a compromised Dwight, and a bunch og guys who are settled into their roles, can lose to a team with no names, but everyone knows their respective roles. its not as complex as they try and make it seem at times.

#27 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,135 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 10:38 AM

What I hate is the constant "Can you believe the Lakers are talking about trying to make the playoffs" question/statement.

people act like their analysis of this team in the summer accounted for Nash being injured the first 6 weeks of the season or that we would not have Hill or Pau for most of the season, or that Dwight would acquire a torn labrum.

They acted like we were supposed to compete wen we had Pau,Hill, and Dwight out at the same time or when those guys played and were not 100%.

When our PGs were Morris and duhon for a significant pasrt of the season. I think NBA analysts are getting lazy.

A team with Kobe Bryant and a compromised Dwight, and a bunch og guys who are settled into their roles, can lose to a team with no names, but everyone knows their respective roles. its not as complex as they try and make it seem at times.

Dont make excuses for them.

#28 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,239 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 01, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I SWEAR I CANT TAKE CHARLES BARKLEY SERIOUS.. hahahahahaahah fat ass :D

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

#29 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,135 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 10:50 AM

I SWEAR I CANT TAKE CHARLES BARKLEY SERIOUS.. hahahahahaahah fat ass :D

Lol

#30 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,251 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted March 01, 2013 - 11:10 AM

You wanna know why Shaq is giving Howard hell? Because he is trying to make Howard have that same mindset that he had, Shaq knows that he is not at that mindset to win a ship yet and bring out all that talent that he has, and get over that hump just like what lebron did when he was with CLE and first year with MIA.  Kobe and Shaq had that mindset to win three straight because they wanted as bad as they wanted to breathe, Dirk wanted, Wade with shaq wanted it, Wade took the [expletive] off in those last four games in the finals, Kobe and Pau wanted it, and Lebron wanted it, and you can clearly see he wants to taste glory again. Reason why Lebron is playing like this is because now he knows what it takes to win one and he's hungry for more. How is kobe playing like this, dude is 34 still averaging 27 points? Because he knows what it takes to win one.  What I think Shaq is trying to say when he is saying 28 15, 28 15, I think he means what ever it takes to get it done, so if you have to score 28 15 to get pass the playoffs and win a ship then that is what you have to do, and you have to get it done and you have to come with that mindset every playoff game, every finals game. Kobe and Shaq know what it takes to win the ship, they experienced it and also got three together themselves . So I'm not trippin when Shaq goes in on Dwight.

EDIT: Yall can say Shaq never averaged 28/15 but yall better look at them playoffs and finals stats, dude did everything it took to win those three ships, and those three playoffs and finals to win three ships he averaged close to 30/15.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, March 01, 2013 - 11:43 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#31 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 01, 2013 - 11:15 AM

I agree with RD, Bark would have been even more harsh but this team put itself here and will have to live with it either way.

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,656 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 01, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Dont make excuses for them.

its called analysis. I'm not going to ignore the facts.

#33 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,135 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 11:34 AM

its called analysis. I'm not going to ignore the facts.

Well the facts are that this team is 29-30. How bout that

• 40,364 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 12:35 PM

TNT > ESPN

Overall yes, but Bill Simmons is fantastic. Annoying voice to some or not, the guy is one of the most knowledgeable dudes by far and he's got clever humor to go with it, which doesn't hurt either.

yo.

#35 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,320 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted March 01, 2013 - 12:36 PM

You wanna know why Shaq is giving Howard hell? Because he is trying to make Howard have that same mindset that he had, Shaq knows that he is not at that mindset to win a ship yet and bring out all that talent that he has, and get over that hump just like what lebron did when he was with CLE and first year with MIA.  Kobe and Shaq had that mindset to win three straight because they wanted as bad as they wanted to breathe, Dirk wanted, Wade with shaq wanted it, Wade took the [expletive] off in those last four games in the finals, Kobe and Pau wanted it, and Lebron wanted it, and you can clearly see he wants to taste glory again. Reason why Lebron is playing like this is because now he knows what it takes to win one and he's hungry for more. How is kobe playing like this, dude is 34 still averaging 27 points? Because he knows what it takes to win one.  What I think Shaq is trying to say when he is saying 28 15, 28 15, I think he means what ever it takes to get it done, so if you have to score 28 15 to get pass the playoffs and win a ship then that is what you have to do, and you have to get it done and you have to come with that mindset every playoff game, every finals game. Kobe and Shaq know what it takes to win the ship, they experienced it and also got three together themselves . So I'm not trippin when Shaq goes in on Dwight.

EDIT: Yall can say Shaq never averaged 28/15 but yall better look at them playoffs and finals stats, dude did everything it took to win those three ships, and those three playoffs and finals to win three ships he averaged close to 30/15.

I believe before the 2000 season, Shaq endured the same criticism from Wilt Chamberlain. It is interesting if Shaq is trying to get to Dwight in the same way.

#36 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,774 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well the facts are that this team is 29-30. How bout that

This team is 29-30 with all the changes, all the injuries, and the 3rd toughest schedule in the league. The fact we're in the running says a lot about us and our potential still.

The teams above us are in the 15-20 ranges of difficulty in schedule.

The Jazz actually were 16th.

Now their schedule is getting harder.

The teams above us are dropping because they got an early start with the easy schedules, but now they got to face the hard schedules to stay afloat while we get the easier schedule to make a run.

So if we keep winning the games we're supposed to win, the three teams above us are gonna get real nervous cause they got a schedule of toughness like ours they "have" to win in order to make the playoffs.

So if they falter when their schedule gets as tough as ours was, what does that say?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#37 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,692 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:21 PM

This team is 29-30 with all the changes, all the injuries, and the 3rd toughest schedule in the league. The fact we're in the running says a lot about us and our potential still.

The teams above us are in the 15-20 ranges of difficulty in schedule.

The Jazz actually were 16th.

Now their schedule is getting harder.

The teams above us are dropping because they got an early start with the easy schedules, but now they got to face the hard schedules to stay afloat while we get the easier schedule to make a run.

So if we keep winning the games we're supposed to win, the three teams above us are gonna get real nervous cause they got a schedule of toughness like ours they "have" to win in order to make the playoffs.

So if they falter when their schedule gets as tough as ours was, what does that say?

Majesty, where do you get this data?  Here is what I found.  Of the remaining games for each team, the opponents' winning percentages are as follow:

Rockets 47%

Warriors 48%

Lakers 49%

Jazz 52%

http://www.playoffst...sternsosrg.html

I realize that opponents winning % is only one way to "gauge" strength of schedule, so I would be interested in what you have found.  It may be a more sophisticated analysis than simple winning %.

Based upon the above, though, it appears that the Lakers have the harder opponents than 2 of the 3 teams above them.

#38 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,317 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:02 PM

I never watch these clowns. I don't put it on TNT till 9:40, right at tip off. I'll flip the channel at half time & by the final horn, i'm ready for bed.

Charles is a jack arse, Kennys a goofy bstard, Shaq seems brain dead most time, & every time they show EJ, I picture him dunking in the old all star weekend footage. 

veqdeg.jpg

#39 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:04 PM

We need to play better defense

#40 MysticBlu~

MysticBlu~

Rookie