#1 haztronic

haztronic

From Laguna/Love the Lakers

• 336 posts
  • Name:Harry
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:01 PM

I was thinking about this earlier, is Vinny Del Negro actually a good coach or is he just a guy on the side that has great, talented players around him? I honestly would never want him to coach the Lakers because I think he would do terribly. You never hear anything about the dude, you never hear about him being a great coach, or in the running for coach of the year and is that because really he isn't? I always see him as maybe being an assistant coach to a team, just never a head coach.

Obviously their record has to give credit to the coach but how much credit?

Thoughts?

DIE HARD LAKER FAN 4 LIFE!

#2 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,389 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Only experience I remember from him was the 2009 playoffs in the first round when he took a Bulls team with a rookie Derrick Rose against the defending champs Celtics at the time to 7 games.

Most likely it's the supporting cast he has and leadership/veteranship from CP3 and Billups.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, February 28, 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#3 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,693 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:30 PM

The Clippers offense, what there is of it, is pretty basic and predictable.  Mostly, the offensive plan is "give the ball to Chris Paul and let him do stuff."  Defensively, the Clippers were pretty sad until they brought in that asst coach in the offseason.

The Clippers with even a middle of the pack coach, could be really scary with all that talent.  I can see them letting him walk in the offseason and upgrading.  Shaw would be a good fit, unfortunately.

Edited by LakerGeezer, February 28, 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#4 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,016 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Chris Paul is the coach of the Clippers, and Chauncey Billups is the assistant.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#5 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,019 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:38 PM

I don't have a lot of insight into this question, but short answer, not really. 

#6 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,795 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:40 PM

hes basically dantoni during the nash mvp years

mediocre coach who lucked out into having good players

13z8pc6.jpg

#7 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Zankyou no Terror

• 8,381 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 11:01 PM

He's one of the MDA's, Mike Brown's, and Eric Spoeltra's.

He's decent, the players surrounding him are what makes them good.

MMiRi9s.png

#8 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,019 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted February 28, 2013 - 11:50 PM

He's one of the MDA's, Mike Brown's, and Eric Spoeltra's.

He's decent, the players surrounding him are what makes them good.

Eric Spolestra is a tier above MDA and Mike Brown. He was handed a talented roster, but unlike the other two, he could actually design an offense and defense to make them successful and win a ring. 

#9 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 575 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 01, 2013 - 12:32 AM

I think he's pretty good. I lived in chicago and he did well with the little talent we had. I think most of the criticism is completely unjustified. I didn't/don't think spo is that good of a coach either, but both are still young and learning. Give him a chance to get better.

#10 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,535 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted March 01, 2013 - 03:39 AM

Eric Spolestra is a tier above MDA and Mike Brown. He was handed a talented roster, but unlike the other two, he could actually design an offense and defense to make them successful and win a ring. 

I agree. I thought Spo was a mediocre coach at first, but what he has done with that roster is kind of revolutionary. Basically eliminated the center position from the lineup to maximize athleticism and outside shooting, and to compensate he installed a defense with relentless ball pressure and fronting the post. That leads to turnovers, and with that small lineup they can beat other teams down the floor for easy transition points. At a time when pretty much everyone was scrambling to get size in order to combat the Lakers twin towers, the Heat decided to beat all that size with speed and ball pressure.

I don't know exactly how much of that is Pat Riley's influence, but I still gotta give props to Spolestra. Phil had MJ and Pippen, Kobe and Shaq, Kobe and Pau. Pop had Duncan and Robinson, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli. Doc had KG, Pierce, and Allen. Just about every coach we think of as being a great coach has won with immensely talented rosters.

As for Del Negro... Nah, I don't think he's a very good coach. The Clippers half court offense is still kinda whack.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying Spo is as good as Doc or Pop or Phil. Just that he's a better coach than I once thought.

Edited by djcovi, March 01, 2013 - 03:41 AM.

#11 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,910 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 01, 2013 - 03:25 PM

It's Chris Paul.

Similar to when Sam Cassell made Mike Dunleavy look good.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clippers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users