51 replies to this topic

#41 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,549 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:59 AM

^Ask Ronnie Lester and Brian Shaw what happened. They were there, they both have alot of credibility. 

Its ok to stick your head in the sand I guess and say "I want to believe the best about Jim."  But dont imply that Jim had nothing to do with this when the facts say otherwise.

Debbie Downer

#42 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Accoriding The Times, the guy was "Too Close to Phil Jackson."  WTF?  An equipment guy somehow is to blame for the Laker's predictament?  The guy puts basketballs in the rack for Pete's sake. Did he do it using the triangle?   

lol. great post^
Or was Jimmy cutting Salary by getting rid of the equip manager....lol. Its like a $45-$60,000/year job. I bet he thought that would get him under the cap.

Jim fired a franchise employee of 26 years only a few years before his retirement. And then gave him no severance pay. Jim is a prick and a bad person and a even worse boss. And I would say the same thing about ANY big wig executive of any company that did the same thing.

Some of you need to get your head outta your ass and realize theres things about the word "loyalty" that are bigger than basketball.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#43 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:11 AM

lol. great post^
Or was Jimmy cutting Salary by getting rid of the equip manager....lol. Its like a $45-$60,000/year job. I bet he thought that would get him under the cap.

Jim fired a franchise employee of 26 years only a few years before his retirement. And then gave him no severance pay. Jim is a prick and a bad person and a even worse boss. And I would say the same thing about ANY big wig executive of any company that did the same thing.

Some of you need to get your head outta your ass and realize theres things about the word "loyalty" that are bigger than basketball.

You guys have zero knowledge of what's going on.
Jim is, nor ever has been sole owner. That's a fact. Jeanie handles the business sides of things, that's a fact. Everything else is speculation.

#44 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,549 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 11:46 AM

^Well, I dont have a job with the Lakers nor do I have a confidante that works there.  But I can read.  Per Ronnie Lester, he was fired by Kupchak, at the specific direction of JIM BUSS.  Per Brian Shaw, he was handled in a "shady" fashion when Mike Brown was hired, and never points the finger directly at Jimbo, but certainly implies it.

Are you real comfortable having a former (bad) trainer running things?

Debbie Downer

#45 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yes. Jim, a 50 year old college graduate, is not all
In front of the cameras and he has spent the DOUGH.

That's all I want from an owner

• 40,604 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Some people who would know a little more about Jim than us for sure would be Magic & Stephen A. Smith for instance, and I can tell you, for those of you who don't know, they are both extremely passionate and on the record numerous times about their disapproval of Jim Buss. Definitely some further credibility there imo, just pointing out.

yo.

#47 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Magic has gone on record saying he doesn't really know Jim Buss, and SAS has met him once or twice.
They are talking heads who want to point fingers.

#48 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting.

#49 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 02, 2013 - 11:00 PM

Magic has gone on record saying he doesn't really know Jim Buss, and SAS has met him once or twice.
They are talking heads who want to point fingers.

True, but since none of us know Jim personally, the media is what we go by. 

And the results don't look great for Jim. Not saying everything (or anything) is true we hear about him, but the picture painted isn't exactly a charming one. 

#50 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,549 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 06:04 AM

Yes. Jim, a 50 year old college graduate, is not all
In front of the cameras and he has spent the DOUGH.

That's all I want from an owner

So let me make sure I understand your post.  Your criteria for a "good" owner are:

-College educated

-Camera shy

-Spends lots of $

-No experience necessary running any successful businesses

Let's see look at the NBA owners of the last few champions:

-Mick Arinson.  CEO of Carnival Cruise Line. 

Mark Cuban.  Founder of Broadcast.com amongst lots of other successful businesses

Wyc Grousbeck. Partner in Highland Capital Partners (a highly successful venture capital firm)

Peter Holt.  CEO of Holt Cat (largest Caterpillar dealer in the US)

See anything in common there?

Jim Buss, by contrast, trained horses given to him by his dad.  And was pretty bad at it.  But none to worry, he got this NBA talent evaluation thing down pretty fast.  He was once quoted as saying something like "Evaluating NBA talent is easy.  10 guys in a bar would come up with the same evaluation as NBA scouts."  A few years later he fired all the Lakers longtime scouts.

And as far as a college education, he dropped out of USC.  Jeannie is the one with the USC degree, with honors.

Still feeling good about the new owner?

Debbie Downer

• 40,604 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 11:51 PM

yo.

#52 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 12:59 AM

So let me make sure I understand your post.  Your criteria for a "good" owner are:

-College educated

-Camera shy

-Spends lots of $

-No experience necessary running any successful businesses

Let's see look at the NBA owners of the last few champions:

-Mick Arinson.  CEO of Carnival Cruise Line. 

Mark Cuban.  Founder of Broadcast.com amongst lots of other successful businesses

Wyc Grousbeck. Partner in Highland Capital Partners (a highly successful venture capital firm)

Peter Holt.  CEO of Holt Cat (largest Caterpillar dealer in the US)

See anything in common there?

Jim Buss, by contrast, trained horses given to him by his dad.  And was pretty bad at it.  But none to worry, he got this NBA talent evaluation thing down pretty fast.  He was once quoted as saying something like "Evaluating NBA talent is easy.  10 guys in a bar would come up with the same evaluation as NBA scouts."  A few years later he fired all the Lakers longtime scouts.

And as far as a college education, he dropped out of USC.  Jeannie is the one with the USC degree, with honors.

Still feeling good about the new owner?

Lol...you sound like Plashke.

Jerry  Buss and West had Nick van Exel and Cedric Ceballos as the franchise players. I see you left out Jim Buss' titles in 2009/2010

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users