Photo

From Laker Job To Food Truck Driver

SMH Jim Buss Amazing Read

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

• 40,400 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 05:52 PM

http://www.latimes.c...,3693108.column

Former equipment manager Rudy Garciduenas lost his job two years ago after 26 years with the Lakers. Jim Buss might have considered him too close to Phil Jackson.

Rudy Garciduenas was one of the most sturdy and respected links on the Lakers' food chain. Today he works in a food truck.

For 26 years, through Showtime and Shaq's Time and Kobe's Team, Garciduenas served as the Lakers' equipment manager, one of the few reliable constants in a sea of locker-room change.

Garciduenas, who was laid off in June 2011 with nearly 20 other longtime employees, including training staff members and an assistant general manager, learned of his departure when he received a letter about temporary insurance. He received no severance pay. There was no farewell party. He spent the next year living off unemployment and retirement funds.

la_sp_plaschke_20130301_001.jpg

He has seven NBA championship rings — one more than Michael Jordan, two more than Kobe Bryant — yet he never wears one to work.

What Garciduenas did before made him almost as much a part of Lakers lore as Jack Nicholson or free tacos. With his constant appearances around the court to deal with problems such as deflated basketballs and torn socks — he actually sat on the bench during road games — this short, round guy with a goatee became as recognizable as some of the players, with a job that was often as difficult.

"I guess I was part camp counselor, part parent," he said.

"We all love Rudy, all of us; you can't find a single person who doesn't love the guy," Lakers spokesman John Black said.

Yet two summers ago, on the eve of the NBA owners' lockout and shortly after the retirement of Jackson, Garciduenas received a letter giving the details of COBRA temporary health insurance. The next day, General Manager Mitch Kupchak summoned him to his office to confirm that he was being released as a cost-saving measure.

"The atmosphere there was changing," Garciduenas said. "I felt like there wasn't a lot of people I could trust."

The Lakers' Black said the organization does not comment on personnel matters, but several of the fired employees — including fired assistant coach Brian Shaw — have since said that it appeared new basketball boss Jim Buss wanted to release anyone who was closely associated with Jackson. Buss has openly questioned the methods of Jackson, who has won a record 11 NBA championships and who also happens to be engaged to Buss' sister Jeanie.

"I felt that maybe people associated with Phil were not welcome there anymore," Garciduenas agreed.

"It was a sad experience, it was a part of my life that was hard to let go, but now, with this truck, I feel like I've been given a breath of fresh air," he said. "The Lakers were very good to me for a very long time, and I never want to forget that."

Garciduenas even showed up at last week's memorial service for Jerry Buss. He blamed him for none of this. He knows that the recent change in the Lakers' culture has nothing to do with the man who once created it.

"Dr. Buss was at the top, I was at the bottom, yet every day we saw each other, we exchanged salutations," Garciduenas said. "I wanted to show my immense respect for a man who respected everyone."

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Amazing read. Cannot believe the lengths Jim Buss went because of his disdain for Phil.

yo.

#2 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted February 28, 2013 - 05:59 PM

alright you need to chill a bit with all these threads lol

• 40,400 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:03 PM

^ Cool, can you help me by making some yourself? Place is dead. How could trying to create activity in a place that's been relatively dead for a while be seen as bad? I don't get it.

yo.

#4 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Its easy to throw shots at others.

#5 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:19 PM

No wonder I haven't seen Rudy lately... very sad.  Cost cutting measures MY A$$, Lakers.  We're throwing hundreds of millions around with the tax and all for bunch of weak minded players and mediocre coaches and yet, we can't somehow come up with regular 5 figure salary for hard working laker employees?  Oh please... this has Jim's ego written ALL over it.  

Btw, this place IS dead.  Please keep posting good threads and don't mind the kids who like to jump on the good posters.

#6 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,771 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Kind of sad that this decline in the family relationship that at one time pervaded the Lakers is seeming to be a thing of the past.  Some may point out that Jerry Buss was still alive at this time, but I would hardly envision him being in a position to influence the day to day running at this time.  Ronnie Lester and Rudy losing their jobs while Chaz got his kind of stinks.

#7 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,651 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:40 PM

alright you need to chill a bit with all these threads lol

let the mods moderate this kind of stuff, we'll deal with issues should they arise

if you feel there's a serious issue, PM one of us, and let us deal with it, or explain to you why no action will be taken

members trying to police each other, regardless of validity or intention doesn't work.  

Posted Image

#8 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,675 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Sorry but can you cut down on the amount of threads you make? I regularly check for new topics on the sidebar but it's all filled with your topics. :/

Edited by ツ  , February 28, 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#9 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 400 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I essentially grew up with Rudy watching the Lakers. He and Gary Vitti were always there it seemed. A shame what happened to Rudy. I remember the cuts around the time of lockout. Thank god they kept Gary.

Thanks for sharing..

• 40,400 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Sorry but can you cut down on the amount of threads you make?

No you're not, but it's okay, cause I'm not either.

yo.

#11 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:47 PM

^ Cool, can you help me by making some yourself? Place is dead. How could trying to create activity in a place that's been relatively dead for a while be seen as bad? I don't get it.

I dont think this site is dead seems normal to me but okay

Posted Image

• 40,400 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:50 PM

^ We've been here a long time. In fact, I've been here longer than my registered date shows. We would know.

Btw, this place IS dead.  Please keep posting good threads and don't mind the kids who like to jump on the good posters.

yo.

#13 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,675 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:55 PM

not really, it's not gonna help revitalize the forums by making countless number of threads. most of which are pointless threads

#14 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:02 PM

^Calling this a "pointless thread" reveals what you know about the Lakers family.  I wouldn't be so quick to point fingers at interesting threads.

• 40,400 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:03 PM

You do you and I'll do me. How's that?

yo.

#16 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:03 PM

^ We've been here a long time. In fact, I've been here longer than my registered date shows. We would know.

It's not always about the number of threads, but the quality of the threads.  The seriously interesting and creative threads have been on the decline the last several months... and yes, I've been here for awhile now.  I don't always post, but I do read just as much as y'all do. 

#17 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,675 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:04 PM

^Calling this a "pointless thread" reveals what you know about the Lakers family.  I wouldn't be so quick to point fingers at interesting threads.

i wasn't directly pointing at this thread. just in general, too many damn topics.

#18 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,786 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Methinks some of the "too many threads" protests relate more to the discomfort with the topic and the place to which it clearly leads rather than having anything to do with the OP. 

Jim Buss fired this guy, plain and simple.  Along with many of the scouts, Ronnie Lester and a few others.  It appeared to be a anti-Phil jihad.

PLEASE, all you Jim apologists, chime in and spin this one for me.

• 40,400 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:07 PM

You should try what I do. Click into the ones I find interesting enough to post in and stay out of the ones I don't, instead of talking feces seemingly not knowing or ignoring that there are others who will find interesting or worthwhile what you don't. It's that simple. Respect & tolerance. You know as well as I do (at least I would think) that we're not all the same. Interest will vary.

yo.

#20 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:08 PM

At least he's not creating threads that are pointless like what some new members do after a loss, ie. overreaction threads. Keep it up Chicano.

Edited by Notorious Arab, February 28, 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users