#21 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,329 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted February 27, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Mark Medina just said he'll be out for at least 6-8 weeks more.

#22 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,736 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 27, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Mark Medina just said he'll be out for at least 6-8 weeks more.

lolwut that was the estimated date on the day he was injured...

#23 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,329 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted February 27, 2013 - 07:27 PM

lolwut that was the estimated date on the day he was injured...

Lemme find it wait.

Edit: nvm i misread it.

s1_zpsb1e0ea54.png

Edited by Bjork, February 27, 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#24 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Lol we are basically on 3rd week of 6-8

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#25 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:21 AM

who cares even if he comeback he was playing like a bum when he was almost healthy now coming off injury he will be worse.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#26 r9too

r9too

Rookie

• 29 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:26 AM

who cares even if he comeback he was playing like a bum when he was almost healthy now coming off injury he will be worse.

not true, gasol was playing great the times he actually played center and in the low post. Gasol is still one of the best low post players in the league, and is definitely a better option in the post than D12 no doubt about it. 

#27 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Pau Gasol is GONE

#28 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:36 AM

not true, gasol was playing great the times he actually played center and in the low post. Gasol is still one of the best low post players in the league, and is definitely a better option in the post than D12 no doubt about it. 

:smh:

#29 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,519 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Why all the hate for Pau on this board?  He was an integral part of winning 2 titles.  He seems to be a good teammate/ locker room guy.  When he came here, he was one of the best skilled big men in the game.  Yes he's soft, yes he has lost alot of game, yes he is overpaid for what he can do now (most superstars are late in their careers).

Why do you guys hate him so much?  Because he is soft?  Well, frankly, so was Kareem.  Because his skills have dimished?  That's happened to lots of stars including many Laker greats.  Because he seems unmotivated?

No disagreement that his motivation seems to suffer ... not surprising, since the Lakers had a preliminary deal in place to trade him in 2011.  After that, he has not really been the same.  He has been the subject of how many trade rumors this year?  So its not surprising that, while he says the right things, his heart is not really in it anymore.  The Lakers have every right to shop him, but doing so has an impact on a players motivation.

Debbie Downer

#30 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:11 AM

He was an integral part of winning 2 titles.  

Pau Gasol is GONE

#31 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,519 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:36 AM

^So he's yesterday's news, I get it.  Just like Kareem, Worthy, West, Mikan, Shaq, etc.  Once they have served their purpose, time to hate, right?

Debbie Downer

#32 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:38 AM

^So he's yesterday's news, I get it.  Just like Kareem, Worthy, West, Mikan, Shaq, etc.  Once they have served their purpose, time to hate, right?

Damn right he's yesterday's news. When your ass fails to support your team in the playoffs (MORE THAN ONCE) AND you're making 20 million dollars a year then you deserve your walking papers. Don't compare this piece of [expletive] to LA greats.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#33 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:47 AM

He absolutely deserves all the hate he's getting this season and during the last 2 postseasons. He's been awful. He's not in his perfect role, but everybody on this team has had to adjust. He's not too old either. At 32, he shouldn't have dropped off as much as he has.

Posted Image

#34 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,519 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:02 AM

You guys view this as fans rather than GMs.  Sure glad you dont run the team. 

Look at it from a business perspective.  NBA culture and perceptions change fast.  Yesterday's cool destination/ team can be today's NBA wasteland.  See Phoenix Suns.  Treat players past their prime this way and see how it comes back.  Future FAs will shy away, and its already happening.

NBA players do not go out of their way to want to play for the Lakers any more.  And why would they?  Kobe is past his prime and has never been a great leader.  Dwight is a head case.  The rest of the roster is, with some exception, old, slow, bad or all three.  There is no realtistic title shot here, the locker room is weird, the team is capped out, the coach is mediocre at best and the fans are mostly spoiled, unappreciative, unrealistic and merciless.

We are in danger of becoming an NBA wastleland soon.  And not recognizing the risk just makes it more likely to happen.

Debbie Downer

#35 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Look at it from a business perspective.  NBA culture and perceptions change fast.  Yesterday's cool destination/ team can be today's NBA wasteland.  See Phoenix Suns.  Treat players past their prime this way and see how it comes back.  Future FAs will shy away, and its already happening.

NBA players do not go out of their way to want to play for the Lakers any more.  And why would they?  Kobe is past his prime and has never been a great leader.  Dwight is a head case.  The rest of the roster is, with some exception, old, slow, bad or all three.  There is no realtistic title shot here, the locker room is weird, the team is capped out, the coach is mediocre at best and the fans are mostly spoiled, unappreciative, unrealistic and merciless.

We are in danger of becoming an NBA wastleland soon.  And not recognizing the risk just makes it more likely to happen.

I'm sure glad you don't if you want Magic running the team.

The Phoenix Suns treated their old players too well. They kept Steve Nash for far too long. If they traded him earlier when he had more value, they would be further ahead in their rebuilding process than they are right now.

That's why it's ok to get rid of players when their past their usefulness. It's how plenty of teams have operated in the past. Hakeem Olajuwon didn't finish his career with Houston.

Edited by Japago, February 28, 2013 - 09:11 AM.

Posted Image

#36 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Difference in Kobe past his prime vs Pau past his prime = Kobe stil does same #s he did when he was in his prime & Still a top 5 player in NBA today.

Mitch over paid for PAu cuz he was thinking like you instead of like a GM.

#37 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,519 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:44 AM

^Funny, of all the bonehead moves Mitch has made in the last few years, Pau's deal is one I have a hard time criticizing.  There was no indication that his skills were in decline when the deal was made and he would have commanded a max deal on the FA market.

He makes what, $19m?  In HINDSIGHT, it was not a shrewd move by the GM.  But it was not unreasonable for the GM to assume that Pau could still produice at a reasonable high level at age 33, when the deal ends.

Kobe makes $27m, and he's worth alot more than Pau, no question.  But could one argue that his contract was a bad one when the GM made it?  Pays Kobe 27m this year and 30m next year to a 35 YO guard.  No one has produced at the level Kobe has at this age, especially when you factor in the true milage on his body, which is probably the NBA equivalent of 36 or 37.  in HINDSIGHT it was a good move but was a real gamble when Mitch made it (assuming that salary pays for future performance only).  So the Lakers got lucky there, and got unlucky with Pau.  it evens out.

Is Kobe "worth" 27m today?  Depends on the yard stick.  Not if you measure by Lebron standards, who is making 18m today.

Debbie Downer

#38 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,519 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Japago, I think you misread large parts of my post.  I said Phoenix is an NBA wasteland today but was a chic destination yesterday.  I never even hinted that they treated their older players poorly, much to the contrary.

Agreed, they kept Nash too long and should have traded him earlier, when he had more left in the tank, for a bunch of draft picks.  Oh wait, they DID trade the 39 YO version for a bunch of draft picks, what bonehead GM made THAT deal???

And I have no problem trading Pau, I think Mitch should have done it before the deadline and gotten something useful for him before he got hurt.

Do I want Magic running the team?  I have posted before that I think Jim Buss will prove to be a bad owner and that Magic would be an improvement as an owner.  I think there are far better qualified persons as GM other than Magic.

I'm sure glad you don't if you want Magic running the team.

The Phoenix Suns treated their old players too well. They kept Steve Nash for far too long. If they traded him earlier when he had more value, they would be further ahead in their rebuilding process than they are right now.

That's why it's ok to get rid of players when their past their usefulness. It's how plenty of teams have operated in the past. Hakeem Olajuwon didn't finish his career with Houston.

Debbie Downer

#39 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 10:02 AM

Japago, I think you misread large parts of my post.  I said Phoenix is an NBA wasteland today but was a chic destination yesterday.  I never even hinted that they treated their older players poorly, much to the contrary.

Agreed, they kept Nash too long and should have traded him earlier, when he had more left in the tank, for a bunch of draft picks.  Oh wait, they DID trade the 39 YO version for a bunch of draft picks, what bonehead GM made THAT deal???

And I have no problem trading Pau, I think Mitch should have done it before the deadline and gotten something useful for him before he got hurt.

Do I want Magic running the team?  I have posted before that I think Jim Buss will prove to be a bad owner and that Magic would be an improvement as an owner.  I think there are far better qualified persons as GM other than Magic.

I have questions about Jim. But, you have to give him credit for some of the successes the Lakers have had too. This team won back to back championships. The only thing I've see from Magic is trade for a bunch of guys who weren't even great last season. At least Nash was still an All-Star last season. That was a mistake, as well as the coaching hire. But, he's done some good too.

BTW, the 2nd quote was why I talked about treating older players like that. You were also defending Pau. So, it seemed like you were saying the Lakers should keep Pau despite how he was playing. So, I thought the "wasteland" was players not wanting to go to the Lakers because of lack of loyalty to their players. I don't agree with that.

Edited by Japago, February 28, 2013 - 10:09 AM.

Posted Image

#40 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,519 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 10:08 AM

^I have no trouble trading Pau.  I do struggle with all the hate shown him in this board and the disspect shown him by the coach and to some degree by the FO.  I'm cool with trading him, if not, treat him with respect, he won us 2 rings.

Debbie Downer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users