29 replies to this topic

#21 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:36 AM

^ I've tried that but several reviews say that it doesn't do much because your ISP can still track your downloads.

Edited by Notorious Arab, February 26, 2013 - 10:36 AM.

Posted Image

#22 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,909 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:34 PM

In reply to Notorious Arab (quote bb-codes appear broken atm):

Your ISP can always track your stuff. In this specific instance, your ISP is merely issuing out warnings stemmed from reports received by anti-p2p organizations. The anti-p2p organizations can track you because peer to peer makes your IP Address public to everyone within that pool. The anti-p2p will take note of your IP Address, resolve the ISP, and report the IP to the ISP. The ISP then issues you the user a warning, because they are in contract with the anti-p2p.

Before the six strikes system, Comcast and similar companies still monitored your traffic. My buddy got a copyright complaint from Comcast in the past. The difference between now and then is the ISPs used to not give a crap, they wanted you as the customer for the money.

With this new Six Strike collaborative, they have partnered up with anti-p2p organizations and will be more strict on its users, in an effort to try and cut down on piracy. Notice how this campaign begins shortly after Mega.co.nz launches? Hmm....

Yes, this isn't fun. But it is definitely something treatable. Peerblock/guardian will thwart off most monitoring when it comes to the peer to peer technology.

A VPN or SSH forwarding will completely encrypt your traffic, even to your ISP.

Edited by -Wade-, February 26, 2013 - 08:36 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#23 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:52 PM

XBMC

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#24 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 11:31 PM

In reply to Notorious Arab (quote bb-codes appear broken atm):

Your ISP can always track your stuff. In this specific instance, your ISP is merely issuing out warnings stemmed from reports received by anti-p2p organizations. The anti-p2p organizations can track you because peer to peer makes your IP Address public to everyone within that pool. The anti-p2p will take note of your IP Address, resolve the ISP, and report the IP to the ISP. The ISP then issues you the user a warning, because they are in contract with the anti-p2p.

Before the six strikes system, Comcast and similar companies still monitored your traffic. My buddy got a copyright complaint from Comcast in the past. The difference between now and then is the ISPs used to not give a crap, they wanted you as the customer for the money.

With this new Six Strike collaborative, they have partnered up with anti-p2p organizations and will be more strict on its users, in an effort to try and cut down on piracy. Notice how this campaign begins shortly after Mega.co.nz launches? Hmm....

Yes, this isn't fun. But it is definitely something treatable. Peerblock/guardian will thwart off most monitoring when it comes to the peer to peer technology.

A VPN or SSH forwarding will completely encrypt your traffic, even to your ISP.

Yea but I still dont fully trust that program. I've used a VPN before and IMO, it's the best way to go.

Posted Image

#25 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,917 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 27, 2013 - 01:23 AM

Never upload, never seed.

When a download is done immediately remove the file and the files or folders in your AppData folder, tracking won't happen.

You just have to keep a tighter eye on what you're doing to lean up after yourself. You can't download a ton of stuff and just ignore it or forget about it.  You have to be diligent about cleaning up the internet trail behind you.

#26 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Never upload, never seed.

When a download is done immediately remove the file and the files or folders in your AppData folder, tracking won't happen.

You just have to keep a tighter eye on what you're doing to lean up after yourself. You can't download a ton of stuff and just ignore it or forget about it. You have to be diligent about cleaning up the internet trail behind you.

Well, you can seed if you've got a VPN. What do you mean remove things from the appdata folder? If you pick the file to download to your downloads folder, I don't think it creates a duplicate into the appdata folder. Does it?

Posted Image

#27 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,909 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted February 27, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Well, you can seed if you've got a VPN. What do you mean remove things from the appdata folder? If you pick the file to download to your downloads folder, I don't think it creates a duplicate into the appdata folder. Does it?

No, it doesn't. Appdata contains temporary files, preferences and specific settings related to applications.

Yes, safe seeding is near guaranteed if forwarded through ssh or a VPN. Can't always be a leecher now. ;)

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#28 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 04:41 PM

No, it doesn't. Appdata contains temporary files, preferences and specific settings related to applications.

Yes, safe seeding is near guaranteed if forwarded through ssh or a VPN. Can't always be a leecher now. ;)

But if I download, say an MP3, that doesnt do anything to the appdata folder.

Posted Image

#29 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,917 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 27, 2013 - 10:10 PM

However, they can get into your computer through several back doors and check those cache folders.  Its best to clear them out after every download, trust me.

The AppData folder holds a one file record of the file downloaded from every application that can download (not stream) on your computer.  Clean it out, it takes 3 seconds and can save your butt when it comes to them tracking down your history.  All your ISP can tell people is what amount of files have been downloaded, not what type, unless you download from a studio planted seed.

#30 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,591 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 01, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Would OpenVPN be legit?

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Six, Strikes, Copyright, Piracy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users