-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,875 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:20 PM

Posted Image

For the past year, we’ve seen delay after delay for the Center for Copyright Information’s six strikes Copyright Alert System. For a while, it looked like it would never become a reality. Now it looks like the system is finally in place, however, and it may be launching today.

The Daily Dot reports that the CCI plans to launch the six strikes Copyright Alert System across all the major participating ISPS – AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon – this week. Each ISP will reportedly launch on a different day this week which Comcast reportedly launching its system today.

http://www.webpronew...-report-2013-02
http://www.pcmag.com...,2415814,00.asp
http://www.cnn.com/2...trikes-internet

How to avoid strikes:
Spoiler

Edited by -Wade-, February 25, 2013 - 12:22 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Bring it on, I guess.

#3 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Is this only in the USA?

#4 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:43 PM

[expletive]

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#5 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,875 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:56 PM

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#6 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Forgive my ignorance but what will this mean exactly? I do on occasion stream Laker games and such. Should I stop for fear of getting caught or will it just deny access?

#7 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,875 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Forgive my ignorance but what will this mean exactly? I do on occasion stream Laker games and such. Should I stop for fear of getting caught or will it just deny access?

Streaming from websites are different than p2p technologies. You shouldn't have anything to worry about unless the website is issued a court order to reveal all IP addresses. Even then, I'm sure the NBA wouldn't go through that much trouble to give you "a warning". They are mostly targetting p2p technologies (torrents).

So if you've ever downloaded an NBA game, that may get you a warning.
But streaming them over http, like from firstrowsports? Nothing to worry about.

It is argued that torrents can be used for ethical purposes, not just piracy.

Is this only in the USA?

I haven't heard, I'll keep my eyes+ears open.

Edited by -Wade-, February 25, 2013 - 01:10 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#8 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Cool. Thanks for the help Wade!

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:41 PM

I pull all of my music off pages using my cache folder, so I'm not worried about that yet.

But for movies...that sucks.

#10 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,159 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted February 25, 2013 - 02:14 PM

How am I supposed to watch Game of Thrones now??? :no:

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#11 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,499 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted February 25, 2013 - 02:41 PM

looks like another fee to go with virus protection for the year.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#12 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,875 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 03:14 PM

How am I supposed to watch Game of Thrones now??? :no:

Hit the "How to Avoid Strikes" tab and apply it to however you'd go about doing that.

I pull all of my music off pages using my cache folder, so I'm not worried about that yet.

But for movies...that sucks.

From what I have researched, this effects users of P2P the most (like bittorrent). If people download files over services like Dropbox, Mega, Rapidshare, etc. you will not get a strike. This is because anti-p2p organizations can not monitor traffic over http or https YET. Bills like CISPA would make that easier.

Depending on the service provider, the ISP’s range of actions may include:

• A temporary reduction in Internet speed;
  • A temporary downgrade in Internet service tier or
  • Redirection to a landing page for a set period of time, until a subscriber contacts the ISP or until the subscriber completes an online copyright education program.
Before each Alert is sent, a rigorous process ensures the content identified is definitely protected by copyright and that the notice is forwarded to the right Subscriber.

Posted Image

While it may seem like the system may have the right idea morally, there are a few negative impacts:

1. What happens with people who share internet? Apartments? My buddy shares his internet with his apartment on a non-business tier. Is he subject to these penalties for other people's actions?
2. What about certain businesses that do not need the non-business tiers? There doesn't appear to be any application to grant IP Address exemptions for certain businesses. Small businesses will either suffer or be forced to invest more $ into a higher tier package which is exempt from this copyright system (Business and beyond).
3. Anti-p2p organizations are likely going to issue strikes on file names which may circumstantially contain copywritten material, when the archive (.zip, .rar, etc.) is password protected and could very well contain non-copywritten material.
4. How do anti-p2p organizations know that I'm not simply downloading a digital backup of a cassette that I went out and physically purchased?

The digital age has definitely negatively impacted the media industry, but they need to get with it and figure out alternatives instead of trying to restrict something they won't be able to.

In my opinion, this is a prelude toward
a) getting more people to support CISPA
b) an example as to "why CISPA should pass" -- this program will likely combat 1/10 pirates (be a failure)

Edited by -Wade-, February 25, 2013 - 03:16 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#13 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Unless you're straight up torrenting this won't affect you. So some easy workarounds are either to "mask" your IP (there are many options to do this, Wade pointed out a few) or just stream content if all you care about is watching TV and Lakers games.

If you must torrent, my guess is you'll probably be ok anyways. Going off the way AT&T monitors data usage over their cellular network, they won't find a reason to suspect you unless you're downloading a heavy amount of stuff and seeding it too. If you get a warning, tone it down and you'll probably be fine.

#14 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:28 PM

From what I have researched, this effects users of P2P the most (like bittorrent). If people download files over services like Dropbox, Mega, Rapidshare, etc. you will not get a strike. This is because anti-p2p organizations can not monitor traffic over http or https YET. Bills like CISPA would make that easier.

I use TPB's site, and BitTorrent, to download movies...so I'll eventually need to use loopholes, and I really don't want to take the time out of my day to do it (even though it's not that time-consuming). Just annoying.

#15 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,623 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:41 PM

I use TPB's site, and BitTorrent, to download movies...so I'll eventually need to use loopholes, and I really don't want to take the time out of my day to do it (even though it's not that time-consuming). Just annoying.

same here. Although I would love to see them try and stop everyone

#16 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:54 PM

What a waste of money to implement such bull[expletive]. Do they at least tell you that you've accumulated a strike?

Edited by Notorious Arab, February 25, 2013 - 10:55 PM.

Posted Image

#17 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 775 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 11:02 PM

What a waste of money to implement such bull[expletive]. Do they at least tell you that you've accumulated a strike?

They will pretty much recover any money shelled out by them as they can easily accuse people and charge them $35 for filing an appeal just to clear their name/account.

#18 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,013 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 11:21 PM

What if you download all your warez and movies (mediafire, rapidshare) as oppose to using BitTorrebt/uTorrent? Can they still catch you?

Edited by Instigator, February 25, 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#19 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted February 25, 2013 - 11:50 PM

What if you download all your warez and movies (mediafire, rapidshare) as oppose to using BitTorrebt/uTorrent? Can they still catch you?

Nah you'll be fine.

#20 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,875 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:03 AM

This may help fellow bittorrent users evade anti-p2p without having to do much at all. Simply download/install and keep the anti-p2p list updated.

Posted Image

PeerBlock lets you control who your computer "talks to" on the Internet. By selecting appropriate lists of "known bad" computers, you can block communication with advertising or spyware oriented servers, computers monitoring your p2p activities, computers which have been "hacked", even entire countries! They can't get in to your computer, and your computer won't try to send them anything either.

And best of all, it's free!

http://peerblock.com/

Edited by -Wade-, February 26, 2013 - 09:10 AM.

wKNsigp.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Six, Strikes, Copyright, Piracy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users