Photo

Will the Lakers make the playoffs?

Prediction of today!

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the Lakers make the playoffs (73 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Lakers make the playoffs

1. Yes (55 votes [75.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.34%

2. No (18 votes [24.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,876 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Which is why I was laughing at everyone saying Utah had it rougher when you should know by now that this Laker team makes every game a chore.

The more I think about it, skip the playoffs and for the love of all that's holy oust D'Antoni a.s.a.p.!

Not mathematical Japago, just kind of going by the behavior of this Laker team.  The Lakers are incapable of running the table for their remaining games.  Winning in Portland is a long shot, beating San Antonio and Houston is nearly impossible for this team and Golden State won't be a walk in the park either.

I say 2 because this Laker team is just that deficient to where two wins should do it for the Jazz.

#262 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:55 PM

at the end of the day that washington loss will probably be the nail in the coffin 

Posted Image

#263 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Which is why I was laughing at everyone saying Utah had it rougher when you should know by now that this Laker team makes every game a chore.

The more i think about it, skip the playoffs and for the love of all that's holy oust D'Antoni a.s.a.p.!

Half the NBA would be jealous of the situation we're in, a chance in the playoffs?  What if Ginobili doesnt heal up from his injury? What if CP3 falls apart with his injures in 2nd round (hes never been healthy past 1st round). Then you have a deep run waiting in the playoffs and MWP + Hill would've returned by then

Im just saying, you gotta have faith in this team to get it done. We were 17-25 and we've gotten 5 games over .500 TWICE in the last 2 weeks, thats a huge turnaround in the tough West

Boston has the same record as us and they're in the 7th seed wish it was that easy out here but its not. We've made a ton of progress since the start of the season and theres still room left to grow

Edited by MDI, April 07, 2013 - 07:56 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#264 fido

fido

• 11,876 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Faith in this team - that's a fool's folly right now.

And this is the Lakers merely making the playoffs is great for second rate teams, but the mere fact that you're satisfied with just making the playoffs should set off fireworks in your head that something is VITALLY wrong.

There's tons of room to grow, but not tons of time.

#265 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:05 PM

The more I think about it, skip the playoffs and for the love of all that's holy oust D'Antoni a.s.a.p.!

Not mathematical Japago, just kind of going by the behavior of this Laker team.  The Lakers are incapable of running the table for their remaining games.  Winning in Portland is a long shot, beating San Antonio and Houston is nearly impossible for this team and Golden State won't be a walk in the park either.

I say 2 because this Laker team is just that deficient to where two wins should do it for the Jazz.

Portland has been really awful and San Antonio is dealing with injuries to Parker and Ginobili. Houston isn't an elite team. The Lakers are capable of winning those games.

But as we know, the Lakers are capable of losing any game too.

Posted Image

#266 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Faith in this team - that's a fool's folly right now.

And this is the Lakers merely making the playoffs is great for second rate teams, but the mere fact that you're satisfied with just making the playoffs should set off fireworks in your head that something is VITALLY wrong.

There's tons of room to grow, but not tons of time.

Making the playoffs > not making the playoffs period. No good comes out of missing it, I want us in games that matter even if we're down 0-3

Also if you're in the playoffs you have a chance to make a run, you cant even compete for a title if you're not in the playoffs right? 

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#267 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,378 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:10 PM

We still have a decent chance. It's hard to bet against Kobe Bryant and this team in must-win games i.e. 25 point come from behind wins at NO and CHA. Despite all the times they've disappointed us I really still believe we will get there.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#268 fido

fido

• 11,876 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:14 PM

The Lakers have no chance of making a run.

And a run ain't good enough, championship or bust.

Not that tough to beat the Lakers LakersChamps243, every team in the league has proven that (except for Minnestoa).

#269 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:16 PM

The Lakers have no chance of making a run.

And a run ain't good enough, championship or bust.

Not that tough to beat the Lakers LakersChamps243, every team in the league has proven that (except for Minnestoa).

then care to explain how we went from 17-25 to 40-36?

By the way the Clippers have just 2 more wins than us since 1/1/2013 (difference is the games they beat us) and they're considered a title contender...just saying. We're not a hopelessteam

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#270 fido

fido

• 11,876 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:19 PM

The playoffs are a far different story than the regular season.

The Lakers are a hopeless team right now.  You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.  The quicker this is acknowledged, the quicker it can be dealt with.  Holding on to false hope instead of facing reality winds up putting you far further in the hole than if you just 'fess up and start working to change the problem.

Of course at this point, it;'s way too late, but why you think this team will change its spots and suddenly be anything close to a title contender is beyond me.

#271 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,061 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:22 PM

By the way, how's Dallas doing fido? :)

Sorry, had to remind you ;)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#272 fido

fido

• 11,876 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Doing just fine.

When you posed this question you love to use as the gelatinous backbone to your ever-weakening arguments you gave me an option of choosing 2 team out of 4 that I thought would do better than the Lakers in the second half of the season.  You gave me Denver, Dallas, Minnesota and Golden State.  I chose Dallas and Denver.  If you're patting yourself on the back over a differential of 2 games, then fine.

You can bring that up all you want, but you know damn well that when they were only one game behind you were completely scared to death.   You asked me to pick likely teams that had a chance to do better and I said Dallas, not wrong whatsoever.  They're 2 games behind and when all is said and done they'll be closer than that.

How's Denver doing, the other team I told you would flourish?  Oh sorry, just had to remind you.

#273 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Fido is right. 

While some of you are blinded by homerism, it's not the end of the world to admit that not all is right with the Lakers. 

The team is a mess.  At the midway point, I believed this team was a top team that was just going through major struggles.  But this team is what it is, a borderline 8th seed plagued by bad coaching, a bad system, injuries, and much more.  

We have coaching and personnel issues.  Our 34 year old superstar is playing 48 minutes a game just to give his team a CHANCE.  Steve Nash is hobbled by injury, Metta just had surgery, we have no Jordan Hill and our two best bench players are Blake and Jamison, who just happens to have a tear in his wrist. 

If you have been a fan of this team over the past decade and longer, you would know what a championship team looks like and feels like to a fan.... this is far from that look and feeling. 

#274 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I disagree with the Lakers being a contender. I'm not oblivious to the fact that they are far from good. But, I just want them to make the postseason. Even in bad years, I still try to root for them to do the best they can.

Edited by Japago, April 07, 2013 - 08:34 PM.

Posted Image

#275 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I disagree with the Lakers being a contender. I'm not oblivious to the fact that they are far from good. But, I just want them to make the postseason. Even in bad years, I still try to root for them to do the best they can.

And I'm rooting for them too.  I don't want to see them miss the playoffs and want to watch some playoff basketball, but many here do need to be realistic about what will happen once the playoffs come around and the Lakers are in. 

#276 fido

fido

• 11,876 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:39 PM

My thoughts exactly.

You have to balance your fandom with realism, something a lot of sports fans have serious trouble doing.  But you'll find once you do that it all becomes a lot more enjoyable.

#277 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,061 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Doing just fine.

When you posed this question you love to use as the gelatinous backbone to your ever-weakening arguments you gave me an option of choosing 2 team out of 4 that I thought would do better than the Lakers in the second half of the season. You gave me Denver, Dallas, Minnesota and Golden State. I chose Dallas and Denver. If you're patting yourself on the back over a differential of 2 games, then fine.

You can bring that up all you want, but you know damn well that when they were only one game behind you were completely scared to death. You asked me to pick likely teams that had a chance to do better and I said Dallas, not wrong whatsoever. They're 2 games behind and when all is said and done they'll be closer than that.

How's Denver doing, the other team I told you would flourish? Oh sorry, just had to remind you.

Sorry to disappoint you but I wasn't scared at all. I have an unshakable faith in the team :)

And why should I feel bad you remind me of Denver? Denver was a team I agreed with you about lol.

Sorry, had to remind you ;)

Fact is, I said they'd go on a run and they did.

I don't deny there's issues with this team that aren't apparent, but apparently those issues weren't enough to deter me from feeling they'd go on a run, I was right on that scenario, and we agreed on Denver so what were you saying?

Anyway, I still have faith in this team playoffs wise. In another week or so I could be wrong, but I don't believe I will be.

You can still doubt them though. Team has problems, are they big enough to keep them out of the playoffs?

Like I keep saying, the 9th will tell us everything we need to know and my decision whether or not they'll make the playoffs hinges on that night.

I'll still believe but if we screw up on the 9th it will be basically impossible.

THAT is something I will admit.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#278 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:50 PM

And I'm rooting for them too.  I don't want to see them miss the playoffs and want to watch some playoff basketball, but many here do need to be realistic about what will happen once the playoffs come around and the Lakers are in. 

I agree. But, I think I've been very reasonable in what's wrong with the Lakers. I think I was one of the first ones to admit they were actually in trouble when they struggled early in the season. I wanted the Lakers to make roster moves before Dec 15(the date where players signed in the offseason can first be traded).

Posted Image

#279 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:54 PM

If theres one team thats capable of catching a lightning in bottle in the potseason its us right? We slow the game down, we have experience, we have the Mamba, we have some gritty guys who play hard. We just have to get in to put it all to work

We have issues, Im not ignoring that but we have issues that we've dealt with since the Kobe/Shaq 3 peat and Kobe/Gasol years (PG defense, FT issues, inconsistent 3 point shooting).    Damn injuries and careless play in 1st half of season has made it a real struggle to get in but we have the pieces to compete with the best of the best in a playoff series (only questionable team would be the Clippers IMO theyre a bad matchup for us).  

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#280 fido

fido

• 11,876 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:56 PM

Not at all.

If there's one team in the West that can catch lightning in a bottle its Denver or Golden State.  The Lakers would be lucky to even find a bottle at all.  And after this season, the bottle is all that's gonna help most fans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users