Photo

Denver Post: Lakers Unlikely To Make Playoffs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,630 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted February 24, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Lakers' superstar formula hasn't produced a winning team

By Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post

It's springtime in 2043, and a father and son decide to go on a trip. They pack up their hovercraft and head to Springfield, Mass., to visit the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Dad wants to teach his son about the stars from his childhood, so he shows him exhibits about Hall of Famers such as Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash.

"And you wouldn't believe this," the father says. "In 2013, they were all on the same team!"

"Are you kidding me?" the son says. "Four Hall of Famers? Surely they won the NBA championship. Did they win every single game that season?"

"Actually, son, they didn't even make the playoffs."

With only 25 games left, the Los Angeles Lakers wouldn't make the playoffs if the season ended now. Hollywood, it seems, has churned out another horror show.

The show's on display Monday in Denver at the Pepsi Center."

"I think the whole thing for me is, the fragility of an NBA team is based upon your team's togetherness and chemistry as much as it is on your team's talent," said Nuggets coach George Karl, who has lost three recent playoff series to the Lakers, the team he said on media day he despises. "I think Nash getting hurt early hurt them. Now the Gasol injury has hurt them, and because of all that, I don't think they've ever gotten connected in a confident way.

"I don't know how many wins it will take them, but it will be interesting to see if they can get in (the playoffs). You've got a team that will play desperate the rest of the way. Talented players — they might not get along — but they have a way, when they're desperate, to figure out how to like each other."

Watch the Lakers lose and it appears they don't know one another, let alone like. Nash, even in a familiar offense, can't seem to maximize role players (the Los Angeles bench is bad). Also, Nash and Howard, who's not playing at 100 percent, seldom click with the pick.

"We'd like to get him in the pick-and-roll more," Nash told The Orange County Register. "That's how he was really good in Orlando. He'd pick and he'd dive, and they'd swing and put it in to him, so he could get deeper catches and the help side has a more difficult time coming to him.

"It's been difficult, really, to get him into that game, running into pick-and-rolls, diving hard, looking for the ball. We really haven't found that rhythm from him yet."

Then there's Bryant. This was supposed to be his quest for a sixth championship ring, his foray toward Michael Jordan. Bryant added the Jordan-era equivalent of John Stockton and David Robinson to do just that. But this might be the season that besmirches Bryant's legacy. He has tried everything.

He led the league in scoring early in the season. Then he went on an assists rampage, trying to prove he could be a facilitator. He has complained, seethed, scowled and even tweeted for the first time. Nothing has consistently worked.

But the Lakers have begun to play better. Still, they continue to lose to good teams, although they have a recent win over the Oklahoma City Thunder. In the past month, the Lakers have lost to the Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies, Chicago Bulls and Miami Heat (twice).

"I'm surprised where they are right now, but I still have a feeling that they'll make the playoffs," Nuggets guard Ty Lawson said of the Lakers. "They'll be a tough out at the eighth or seventh seed (in the West). I think they'll make a little bit of noise, because the first and second seeds aren't going to want to play them."

Bryant thinks so too. Bryant told Sports Illustrated the Lakers would make the playoffs and that he doesn't fear any team in the Western Conference. Is it another tactic? A prideful prediction? Or will the proclamation just be another in a series of dubious moments in the most surprising season in NBA history?

There is some hoops hope. The Lakers, once 17-25, have won 11 of their past 15 games, including Sunday's national-TV win vs. Dallas.

Leave it to former NBA star Charles Barkley to sum it up.

"The Lakers are old, and they are not going to make the playoffs," the TNT analyst said last week. "If by happenstance they do make the playoffs, they're going to get beat like a drum in the first round."

Benjamin Hochman: 303-954-1294, bhochman@denverpost.com or twitter.com/nuggetsnews

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_22661454/lakers-superstar-formula-hasnt-produced-winning-team

Prove 'em wrong, fellas.

• 40,431 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hope the players see this. Bullet board material never hurts.

yo.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 24, 2013 - 11:25 PM

Gotta love when the DENVER POST is writing articles about the Lakers instead of focusing on their own team.

#4 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,072 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 11:31 PM

lol...

#5 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,156 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted February 24, 2013 - 11:32 PM

I guess denver is still mad about the conference championship a while back.

#6 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 24, 2013 - 11:38 PM

Future Kobe tweet: no playoffs THAT

#7 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,134 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:56 AM

Lmao. Did they learn nothing all this time?

#8 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,409 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:53 AM

NO PLAYOFFS THAT" kobe via twitter hahahahaha

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#9 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,320 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted February 25, 2013 - 02:14 AM

Yeah, yeah .. I've heard this a thousand times already .. Let's just watch and see what happens.

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,367 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 25, 2013 - 02:22 AM

I love how everyone is confident in the Lakers again after 11 wins in 14 games.

I hope it stays there and doesn't disappear if we lose a game.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Very surprised by the article...maybe he was lookin for hits? I follow Benjamin Hochman on twitter last 3years and he comes on Mason and Ireland a couple of times a year, hes a funny dude and knows his ball.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#12 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,247 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Denver's another one of those fanbases who seems to have a weird complex when it comes to the Lakers. Remember, everyone was talking too when the Lakers were bad from 04-07. But the difference is, the Lakers always land on their feet while other franchises go spiralling into irrelevance.

Bottom line, worry about your own damn team, Denver!

Edited by Thanatos, February 25, 2013 - 07:40 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted February 25, 2013 - 08:09 AM

I love how everyone is confident in the Lakers again after 11 wins in 14 games.

I hope it stays there and doesn't disappear if we lose a game.

23-3 record at home. Good chance the sky will fall for many members here tonight.

#14 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,174 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Entire post had no mentioning of Blake, Hill, & Pau's 1st injuries. When media starts taking everything into perspective I will care about post like this. for now its just more bla bla bla bla.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#15 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:26 AM

ummmm why are they writing bout us, gotta love Haters

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#16 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:35 PM

From a Coach and a Team that has won nothing and won't win anything......will always be a mid level to bottom of the standings team.
They have played a hell of a HOME schedule victory wise.... and that;'s why they are where they are.

Karl's system will never win......Denver will never pay for TOP Stars.....Guys seem to always leave after awhile

Take advantage of the High Altitude......in a 7 game series.......... can't do that

As for the LAKERS ...It seems like we always play in Denver on a B2B situation.....Phil said it had something to do with the mid time zone situation and scheduling
Phil always noted that mid time zone teams... (Bulls) always had an advantage......"shorter plane rides" to the East and West

Edited by Lords of the Rings, February 25, 2013 - 04:36 PM.

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#17 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted February 25, 2013 - 11:14 PM

They're just trying to get back at us because they're jealous of our ass whoopings we've given them in the playoffs over the years. Denver's fanbase is definitely right up there with Utah and Portland as the dumbest in the league.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#18 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted February 25, 2013 - 11:21 PM

well the title isnt lying
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users