• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,212 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:16 PM

http://www.latimes.c...er&dlvrit=53297

Kobe Bryant has one more year left on his contract after this season. While he hasn't said outright if he'll continue his career beyond the 2013-14 season, he did talk about life after basketball Friday night.
"I think finding the area before you retire ... I think that's really the biggest challenge for any athlete is to find something that you really want to do," said Bryant. "A lot of us wait until the last year until you retire trying to figure that out, then it takes five or whatever years and some never figure it out."

Bryant is currently in his 17th season. He'll turn 35 in August.

"I'll be 35-36 years old," said Bryant, perhaps giving a hint to his plans. "I'll need to find something that I can obsess about."

Bryant admitted that he has an "obsessive personality" and that he'd need to "find something to put my ego into."

Could that drive keep him in the game longer?

"I have the gift and the curse of having gone second, so I can sit back and learn from my predecessor," said Bryant, referring to Michael Jordan, who retired twice from basketball before finishing his career on the court with the Washington Wizards.

Bryant said he has an idea of what he wants to do after his playing days, although he wouldn't share.

"Yeah, I know what it is," he said. "It takes away from my personal challenge and you guys will criticize if I can do it or not."

While he'll continue his work as a philanthropist, Bryant said that's not enough.

"Besides doing things that are humanitarian efforts, you've got to find -- you have to have a job," he said.

Bryant downplayed some of the possibilities, including playing baseball, becoming a commentator or buying a struggling NBA franchise.

I know he said he wouldn't be a coach in an interview 2 years ago but remember how he was last year when he was injured and coached from sidelines. He seemed to have enjoyed it. I wonder if he's thinking that now. Coacing in NCAA could be a good challenge for him.

That '35-36 years old' comment worries me though. :( Play 3-4 years more Kobe!

#2 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,374 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Kobe just play to 40 so you can truly be in that GOAT convo

#3 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,274 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:26 PM

if Kobe's "World Tour" comes next season. I wanna go to games around my area (Houston, Dallas and San Antonio) seen him live 3 times already, Awesome feeling

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#4 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,853 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:50 PM

http://www.latimes.c...er&dlvrit=53297

I know he said he wouldn't be a coach in an interview 2 years ago but remember how he was last year when he was injured and coached from sidelines. He seemed to have enjoyed it. I wonder if he's thinking that now. Coacing in NCAA could be a good challenge for him.

That '35-36 years old' comment worries me though. :( Play 3-4 years more Kobe!

lol his talent for NCAA no way

33bkfif.jpg

#5 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,334 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:59 PM

What hints?

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#6 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,007 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:00 PM

I say lets enjoy the present.

#7 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Lol unless you're just complete [expletive] with money you ain't gonna need a job afterward Kobe...

• 40,556 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:24 PM

He doesn't need any paying job after he's done. He could just fully commit himself to his kids and still make some money if he wanted to every now & then on the side.

yo.

#9 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 23, 2013 - 09:08 PM

He doesn't need a job afterward for the money. That's not what it's about.

It's about finding something to occupy his time with and feed his ultra competitive nature.

• 40,556 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 09:18 PM

It's about finding something to occupy his time with.

Kids, wife, family, that should be enough.

yo.

#11 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted February 23, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Kids, wife, family, that should be enough.

Yeah, and does that feed his ultra competitive ego?

Probably not.

#12 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,481 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Kobe will never stop playing!!! :dance2:

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#13 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted February 23, 2013 - 10:29 PM

He will play till he's 50 ;) so he can beat MJ by saying he can dunk at 50 too LOL

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 23, 2013 - 10:31 PM

He's going to take up shuffleboard and taunt the [expletive] out of 65 year old men.

#15 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,212 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 11:18 PM

I felt it's appropiate to post this here. It is kind of connected.

Last Laker

With the passing of Dr. Jerry Buss, Kobe Bryant now stands in a singular light

By J.A. Adande | ESPN.com

Kobe Bryant is the only one left. Do you realize that? It's OK if you don't. The thought didn't even dawn on Kobe himself until it was brought to his attention late Friday night.

None of the other names and faces that spring into your mind when you think of the Los Angeles Lakers has an official connection to the Lakers. Pat Riley last coached a game at the Forum in 1990. Jerry West has not been responsible for the team's personnel since 2000. Chick Hearn called his final game in 2002 before moving up high, high above the Western sideline. We're coming up on nine years since Shaquille O'Neal last wore a purple jersey. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is no longer working with the Laker big men. Magic Johnson sold his ownership stake in 2011. And now Jerry Buss, the one constant that tied them all together, has passed away.

Kobe continues. He's still out there on the court wearing the uniform he refers to as "the golden armor." Still capable of dropping 40 points. Still in the same place, with the same team. He stayed around longer than the Logo and all of the franchise icons. He is the last Laker.
"Wow," he said, allowing it to sink in as he removed his feet from an ice-filled tub.
"I feel a responsibility to pass it on to the next generation of players," Bryant said. "Most of these guys are so young. They don't understand the significance of this franchise.

"[Thursday] was a big day for them to see, really, what this franchise is all about, what this organization is all about. I can embody that, in a sense, because I grew up on that. I have those same values. I understand what Dr. Buss is all about. I know the family. I definitely think it's a responsibility."

Thursday, the team attended the memorial service for Buss. Bryant was the next-to-last speaker, just before Magic. They also spoke at the Michael Jackson public memorial that was held at Staples Center in 2009, and, in its own way, that was an even bigger tribute to Jerry Buss than the speeches they gave at Buss' own service. Buss wanted the Lakers to be bigger than sports, to be a part of the Hollywood entertainment scene. That vision was fulfilled when two of Buss' basketball players were called to pay tribute to a pop icon.

As Bryant stood at the podium on Thursday, speaking without notes, he looked out at the Laker legends among the estimated audience of 3,000 and thought: "It's a family."

"That's the thing that struck me the most," Bryant said. "No matter where you go -- no matter where Jerry West went, no matter where Riles went, Magic, Kareem, Byron [Scott] -- everybody still has that connectivity. It's a bond. It's an unspoken bond that will never, ever break."

To be sure, departure from the Lakers doesn't mean defrocking. Magic's voice still reverberates throughout Lakerland from his pulpit on ABC and ESPN's pregame show. West was given courtside seats and received standing ovations at Staples Center even when he was the president of the Memphis Grizzlies. O'Neal, whose split was the most acrimonious, is very much back in the fold these days, and his return will be officially confirmed when his jersey goes up to the rafters in April.

When Riley felt pangs of fear before he began his second coaching act, with the New York Knicks, Buss took him to dinner and eased his trepidations. Riley entertained thoughts of returning to the Lakers in 2004, before deciding to bring the Lakers' cornerstone center, O'Neal, back with him to Miami.

Riley is quick to make the cross-country flight for Laker championship team reunions or statue dedications. His most telling remark when he spoke at the Buss service was his opening line: "Hello, everybody. I feel like I'm back home."

That sense of being a Laker never left any of them. But Bryant is the only one who never left the Lakers. The last time it was a possibility dissipated when he signed a three-year extension near the end of the 2009-10 regular season. Then, he went out and won another championship, and offered a post-negotiation confession at the victory rally: "Where else was I going to go?"

During the Buss memorial service there were fascinating insights into pivotal moments in recent Laker history. Phil Jackson revealed how Buss talked Bryant off the trade-demand ledge in 2007 by comparing Bryant to a valuable diamond that Buss could not receive equal value for. Bryant said he went along with Buss' desire to bring Jackson back in 2005 -- even after that book -- because he trusted Buss' vision for the franchise.

The Lakers are approaching another crossroads. Dwight Howard's free agency is this summer, followed by the end of Bryant's contract in 2014. Will Kobe bridge the chasm that has separated the two stars this season and recruit Howard to stay? Does Howard want to stay? Would Kobe want to stay beyond next year if Howard is gone and the Lakers have to start a rebuild? Would Bryant sacrifice money in order to facilitate Laker roster moves?

Howard sat in the audience on Thursday, trying to soak up everything that was said about Buss, trying to learn what made him such an admired man. Bryant experienced it all firsthand. Will his next decisions be infused by what he learned from Buss, and will he go forth in the same manner?

Buss' eldest son, Johnny, provided the best summary of the 34-year Buss ownership of the Lakers: "Not everything went right. But because he was always thinking ahead, everything became right."

Jerry Buss signed off on the Lakers' acquisition of the teenage Bryant after West became enamored of him. Buss encouraged coach Del Harris to play Bryant early on when Harris wanted to bring the rookie along slowly. Buss chose Kobe over Shaq when they reached an impasse. The reward was a second dynasty, sold-out seats, all varieties of Bryant jerseys flying out of the team store.

Now Bryant is the only one left in the building who embodies the Lakers -- be it the greatness, the history or the drama.

"I will carry that torch," Bryant said. "Happily. It's an honor. A tremendous honor."

http://espn.go.com/n...nd-storied-past

#16 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted February 24, 2013 - 08:18 AM

This guy eats and breathes basketball. I always thought that Kobe wouldn't know what to do with himself after he retired. Lol.

Posted Image

#17 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,611 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted February 24, 2013 - 09:30 AM

im criying right now :(

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#18 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,318 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 24, 2013 - 09:54 AM

He should be lakers scout and work new talent out to see who is real vs fools gold.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#19 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted February 24, 2013 - 03:35 PM

I can see Kobe going into business. Kinda like Magic. With the brand he's built up and his popularity in China, there will probably continue to be many business opportunities for Kobe after retirement.
Posted Image

#20 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 25, 2013 - 08:24 AM

When no one is willing to pay Kobe big money it will be time for Kobe to retire. Big money is what KG and Nash are making now, Kobe is worth more, but it would be hard for Kobe to turn down that kind of money. I think the big question is....is Kobe willing to finish his career in another uniform because after next season Kobe will be an UFA and will be offered big money by other teams. Will the Lakers step up and pay Kobe what other teams will be willing to pay??????
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users