Photo

Is The Passing Of Dr. Buss A Wake-Up Call For The Lakers?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 2,819 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:39 PM

[....] In a most unexpected way, the passing of the Lakers’ visionary patriarch, Dr. Jerry Buss, and the emotional proceedings this week might somehow pierce Howard’s hardening exterior and help clarify what lies ahead. During this sad week of mourning and remembering in L.A., perhaps a glint of inner-peace — or at least a clearer understanding of his time and place — will nestle into Howard’s too-often conflicted noggin.
Howard has likely never experienced the varying emotions that he has witnessed since the organization announced Monday that Buss lost his fight with cancer at age 80. That emotion erupted in every nook and cranny of the proud Lakers franchise that Howard has known for all of eight months. It touched the core of the Lakers’ vast fandom. It swelled throughout the city of Los Angeles.

During Thursday’s memorial service at Nokia Theater, Howard, 27, watched as Lakers greats Jerry West,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant and the original Superman, Shaquille O’Neal (often critical of Howard), paid tribute to the man who created Showtime, the most glamorous and glorious enterprise the league has ever seen.

Magic asked all past and present Lakers players and coaches, about 50, to stand and be recognized. Earlier, Kobe appealed directly to his teammates.

“For our current Lakers,” Kobe said, “I encourage all of you to look around the room, look at the greatness of one man’s vision, look at the players that are here, coaches that are here; we have one thing in common, we all believe in Dr. Jerry Buss. We are playing for something bigger than ourselves, bigger than a single season, playing for the memory of a great man, Dr. Jerry Buss.”

It should have served as a humbling moment for Howard, a player boasting all the physical gifts to thrive but whose immaturity and indecision have damaged his reputation. It should have made his differences with Kobe — Howard’s polar-opposite, a hard-driving, unrelenting, five-time champion — seem infantile and insignificant.

The night before, Howard played his most inspired game of the season with 24 points and 12 rebounds to beat Boston in something rare this year, a Lakers’ rout. He said he had been thinking all day about getting the win for Dr. Buss. On Friday he played through pain and posted 19 points and 16 rebounds in a hard-fought home win over Portland. Before he tweaked his right shoulder, Howard had 15 and eight in the first half.
Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak this week heeded the advice of the local Dallas talk show hosts and showered the chiseled, 240-pound Howard with loving praise on national radio. Kupchak even said that Howard, who will become a free agent on July 1, should one day have a statue in front of Staples Center. He told Howard to trust him. Told him the future of the great Los Angeles Lakers belongs to him.
The Lakers have opened their arms to Howard. And all he’s had to do is watch and listen to understand what that means. The franchise is Howard’s — if he wants it.
As he repeated during All-Star weekend, he won’t be rushed: “This is my life, this is my career, it’s my legacy…”

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/02/23/will-week-of-mourning-and-remembrance-bring-clarity-for-howard/?ls=iref:nbahpt3a

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 14,983 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:57 PM

I blame the head ban. 2 games with no head ban and he dominates both.

#3 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,587 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted February 23, 2013 - 01:22 PM

don't be a Moron
Posted Image

#4 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 26,820 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 01:25 PM

don't be a Moron

I thought he was being sarcastic actually

#5 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 4,711 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted February 23, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Actually he took the headband off the game that shaq was there. And also he didnt have it on against the clips last week...

#6 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,242 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 23, 2013 - 03:22 PM

I don't know what you're talking about. Dwight was REALLY dominant when Mike Brown had the team. It's not about one guy's stats.

That was the big problem. Predictable, stagnant, isolated basketball.
It never works. It has to be within a flow.

When Kobe isolates and everyone looks or when Dwight posts and no movement occurs off the ball, it's not a good enough shot.

#7 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,587 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:00 PM

oops, my sarcastic meter sucked, My bad, G
Posted Image

#8 Rad

Rad

• 1,530 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Yep, the headband was cutting of blood circulation to his brain.

#9 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,589 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted February 23, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ditto
Posted Image

#10 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,438 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted February 23, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Probably because we played Boston on the second night of a west coast back-to-back and a Blazers team that's even worse than us. I don't think much has changed, still not a good enough team to make the playoffs in my opinion.

#11 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 24, 2013 - 12:28 PM

no its a unfortunate situation.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#12 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,524 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 24, 2013 - 04:59 PM

^Unfortunate= unlucky. The current Lakers mess has little to do with luck, good or bad, and alot to do with mismanagement. Jim Buss' mark is already all over this franchise, and not in a good way

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,338 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 24, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Probably because we played Boston on the second night of a west coast back-to-back and a Blazers team that's even worse than us. I don't think much has changed, still not a good enough team to make the playoffs in my opinion.

And where are you when our team struggles at the end of a back to back ot has injuries? Or do you just comment when other teams?

So if the Lakers struggle on a back to back or deal with injuries or unfortunate situation they are just a terrible team. But if we beat a team on the end of a back to back we only won because of it.

Do you want our team to fail? There's being a "realist" and then there's being a double standard pessimist :).

If you want to be a "realist" and take credit away from us when another team deals with a back to back or 'unfortunate' situation, then you aren't gonna tear down the team if they deal with the same. If you do, you're just a pessimist and/or hypocrite :). But I digress. Back to backs happen in the NBA, players train for them, they are professional athletes. No credit should be taken away from either side. Many factors can contribute to a win or a loss if we micromanage them down we can take credit from any and all victories in the NBA if you want to be a "realist" like that be my guest.

Fact of the matter is, We've won 12 of our last 15 games. Are they all flukes then?

Edited by Majesty, February 24, 2013 - 05:16 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#14 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:46 AM

^Unfortunate= unlucky. The current Lakers mess has little to do with luck, good or bad, and alot to do with mismanagement. Jim Buss' mark is already all over this franchise, and not in a good way

Question was about the passing of Dr. Buss which in any death its always unfortunate.

The Lakers mess this season is due primarily to major injuries before anything else.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users