3112 replies to this topic

#21 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,753 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:35 AM

thanks for the reply, feel like I'm ignored in this thread(I come in peace).

What's the story with Puig?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean with the Puig question...

But he is an extremely talented young player (for a Dodger comparison think Raul Mondesi) that the Dodgers paid $42 million for 6 years.  He looks pretty good so far this spring: he has tremendous power and a great arm out in the OF.  I can't really speak much more on it because I've only seen 1 Dodger ST game so far.  The plan within the organization is to have him play the year at AA and he would most likely get a September call-up.  If, however, Carl Crawford is not ready to go to start the year Puig may end up being on the Dodgers MLB roster to start the year.  

Shall have to wait & see... 

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#22 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,357 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:42 AM

My question is how come Puig is not catching?

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#23 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:05 PM

My question is how come Puig is not catching?

He'll have a longer career in the outfield.  Although he has a gun on him, placing him at catcher will only result in his career being shortened because of bad knees. 

Plus there's more to catching then just throwing runners out.  A catcher's IQ has to be way above average to call and manage a game for different pitchers. 

#24 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,357 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 11:49 AM

I never thought catching would be his career position.

catching was a way to get his bat in the lineup.

• 40,373 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Crawford Says Boston Media was the Worst Thing he’s Ever Experienced

http://blacksportson...er-experienced/

“It just wasn’t the right place for me at the end of my day. I didn’t do my homework. Maybe they didn’t, either.

“That smile turned upside down quick,” Crawford said. “I think they want to see that in Boston. They love it when you’re miserable…”

“I feel like I’ve got a lot of baseball left,” he said. “But over there, I felt like my career was almost over.”

“I took so much of a beating in Boston, I don’t think anything could bother me anymore,” he said. “They can say what they want — that I’m the worst free agent ever — and it won’t get to me. But it bothered me the whole time there.”

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#26 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 861 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 07, 2013 - 10:09 PM

I think Crawford is gonna bounce back and have a good year

I wish we would have traded Ethier to give Puig a spot

#27 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Come on Crawford get healthy son

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#28 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,753 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:29 AM

He'll have a longer career in the outfield.  Although he has a gun on him, placing him at catcher will only result in his career being shortened because of bad knees. 

Plus there's more to catching then just throwing runners out.  A catcher's IQ has to be way above average to call and manage a game for different pitchers. 

This...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#29 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 01:17 PM

I think it's important to remember that the Dodgers have the luxury of letting Puig develop now. There's no rush in bringing him up right away.

You run the risk of bringing him up right away and him struggling and losing confidence in himself.

I think it will be a lot smarter to start him at AA this season and then bring him up in a couple months after he makes it to AAA.

• 40,373 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Adrian Gonzalez has helped the Dodgers reconnect with their fans.

Roots Go Deep

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- When you drive south on Figueroa Street in Los Angeles, in the direction of Dodger Stadium, past the Mexican and Salvadoran restaurants, the grocers and the auto shops, you encounter a massive blue-and-white sign.

It stands over the entrance to the 110 freeway and shows the Los Angeles Dodgers' All-Star first baseman from a sideways angle. The most prominent feature is his back, specifically the name scrawled across it, one shared by many families across the city. It says, "Gonzalez."

The fervor to land Gonzalez was about a lot of things. First, of course, it was about replacing the anemic production they had gotten out of their first basemen, notably James Loney. It was about a weak crop of free agents on the horizon. But it was also about symbolism, Gonzalez giving the Dodgers their biggest star of Mexican heritage since Fernando Valenzuela. Like anything else in the wake of the Frank McCourt era, it was about reconnecting with their fans.

The Dodgers are perfectly willing to acknowledge the importance of Gonzalez's heritage in their efforts to court fans. In fact, they embrace it. Why shouldn't they? The Dodgers' organization has a long history of promoting diversity and connecting with its multicultural fan base.

"You start with Jackie Robinson as a symbol of what this franchise is and continue to Sandy Koufax, who was really a role model for a generation of post-war Americans trying to assimilate," president Stan Kasten said. "You continue through Fernando Valenzuela, Hideo Nomo, Chan Ho Park and now Adrian. That gets to the identity of what the Dodgers have always been."

la_u_gonzaleza2_jv_576.jpg

Kasten said acquiring Gonzalez "checked all the boxes." He is a powerful, smooth-fielding first baseman, a Californian, a Mexican-American and one of the game's more community-minded players.

"He's really been a dream come true since he arrived," Kasten said.

The Dodgers were not shy about taking advantage of Gonzalez's bicultural roots over the winter. Gonzalez, who was born in the United States to Mexican parents, grew up in Tijuana and San Diego, playing on both sides of the border. He is perfectly bilingual in English and Spanish. No Dodgers player made more public appearances this winter than Gonzalez, who often had to drive 100 miles north from La Jolla. He dedicated a field in Tijuana. He handed out Christmas toys to kids in East L.A. He was at the Dodgers' holiday party at the stadium. He appeared at a fundraiser for a group that raises cancer awareness in Spanish-speaking communities.

"I've only seen that level of excitement and connection with the fans in events I've done with Fernando [Valenzuela]," Dodgers publicist Yvonne Carrasco said. "He brought that kind of excitement everywhere we went."

The excitement level might never reach the pitch of Fernandomania in the 1980s, but the man who lived that senses something like it could be building with Gonzalez and, perhaps, third baseman Luis Cruz, a native of northern Mexico.

"When he came to the plate after that trade, I was so excited, because the people, the fans, were cheering so much," Valenzuela said. "I think they're receiving him pretty good and I think it's going to be great for all the Latins and Mexicans living in Los Angeles.

"It's going to be good, not only for the team but for the community." There is only the faintest sliver of connection between the two Dodgers icons. Fernando remembers facing Gonzalez a couple of times as his career was winding down in the Mexican league and Gonzalez was an up-and-coming youngster.

"I can't remember what happened. I'm pretty sure he got a hit," Fernando said.

"We just enjoy giving back," Gonzalez said. "The fact that L.A. has such a big Mexican-American community, it always helps when people have a connection with you."

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#31 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Puig now batting .452 in the spring (14 for 31)

#32 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,357 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:50 PM

What's up with Zack?

#33 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Puig looks ready I dont know wtf we're gonna do with Ethier and Crawford.  Crawford was a heavy price we had to pay to get Beckett and Gonzalez

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,373 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:16 PM

What's up with Zack?

Report: Dodgers Zack Grienke to Have Elbow Examined

http://blacksportson...elbow-examined/

Looks like he may be on his way to potentially stealing money, already.

yo.

#35 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Report: Dodgers Zack Grienke to Have Elbow Examined

http://blacksportson...elbow-examined/

Looks like he may be on his way to potentially stealing money, already.

He already had an MRI, showed nothing. He basically has a sore arm. Nothing significant

#36 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,832 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:16 PM

puigyasiel.jpg

Yasiel Puig

:whatthe:

They should trade him to the Raiders, we have some holes at Linebacker.

#37 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,832 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Championship or bust. This is the lineup I want to see

RF Crawford
2B Mark Ellis
CF Kemp
1B Gonzalez
SS Hanley
LF Ethier
3B Cruz
C Ellis
SP Pitcher

I wish Dee Gordon was a switch hitter he could offer so much versatility we have too many left handed hitters who arent speed guys

I would love to see the 2 Ellis's at the top of the lineup. Crawford has never really been a leadoff hitter in his career. While the 2 Ellis's are more On Base oriented. We need men on base in order to score.

• 40,373 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Matt Kemp Will Be On Upcoming Episode Of ‘The Cleveland Show’

http://blacksportson...cleveland-show/

yo.

#39 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I would love to see the 2 Ellis's at the top of the lineup. Crawford has never really been a leadoff hitter in his career. While the 2 Ellis's are more On Base oriented. We need men on base in order to score.

He actually has been a lead off hitter in his career and is the most realistic option out of anyone on the team.

He has better career #'s batting second (.302 BA) opposed to lead off (.284) but doesn't change the fact that he is our best option there based off speed, pitch selection, and ability to hit for contact.

Mark Ellis could very well hit at the top with Crawford second, I wouldn't have an issue with that at all. Crawford in front of Kemp would pretty dangerous and might be better for Crawford as he returns from injury. This lineup will have a lot of ways to mix and match which is a plus.

If Gordon were ready, he'd be our guy at the top but he's just not there yet unfortunately. We need our top of the lineup guy to get on base and Dee doesn't do that close to consistently for him to be an option to start the season.

#40 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Mattingly compared Puig to Bo Jackson...we can't sit him out of the everyday lineup right??? 

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users