• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3112 replies to this topic

#2921 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, I don't get the Mattingly hate...When it all comes down to it, he made a few bad decisions, but he wasn't the guy hitting into DP's, failing with runners in scoring position, etc..that is flat out on the players. I think he can be a great manager, and I think players like him and want to play hard for him. I also think that if you're talking about these playoffs, the Kemp, Hanley and Ethier injuries did us in more than anything else (I think we probably beat STL in 5 games, or maybe sweep them with those guys playing, and healthy, even if Craig was fully healthy). 

Mattingly definitely had decisions that hurt us in games, but we had chances to win games and didn't come through.  The one game where he truly hurt us was in game 1 when he pulled Gonzalez for a pinch runner.  That could have changed the complexion of the series but ultimately, I think we lose because of health even if we split the first two.

The argument is that injuries happen which is true but major injuries screw up seasons.  

Health is the number one concern for next season.  We'll get off to a better start if we can start with guys actually playing.

#2922 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,338 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:46 PM

It's funny, because the Dodgers won't officially announce the Mattingly thing because you're not supposed to break any news during the World Series, to respect it and to allow people to keep their attention on it. That's one of the things that disgusted me about Lebron - It's the Lakers vs Celtics finals, and that prick just had to make it all about him and his drama and have an hour-long special on Larry King.

Edited by leor_77, October 23, 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#2923 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,800 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:27 AM

I like Mattingly over all the other candidates out there haha. I mean seriously, who would we have realistically gotten? Dusty Baker? He would of made mattingly look like a god hahahaha. We should seriously look into hiring a saber guy as his bench coach though. I do not want to see any more bunts or killing paco and bellisario over the season again.

#2924 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 09:24 AM

I like Mattingly over all the other candidates out there haha. I mean seriously, who would we have realistically gotten? Dusty Baker? He would of made mattingly look like a god hahahaha. We should seriously look into hiring a saber guy as his bench coach though. I do not want to see any more bunts or killing paco and bellisario over the season again.

We could have definitely got Dusty Baker.... But then we would have to deal with Kershaw/Greinke getting tommy john surgery in the next year.

#2925 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,800 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hahaha seriously, dude is awful. I think any old school manager carries that mentality with thier pitcher. Look at what torre did to our bullpen when he was here? And mattingly is kinda carrying the same principles. That's why I want to see them bring in a saber guy as a bench coach so the dodgers can balance the traditional and new school of baseball.

#2926 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Here is my preferred off-season plan:

1. Extend Kershaw and Ramirez. 

2.  Trade Zach Lee, Julio Arias, and Ross Stripling (all pitching prospects) to Tampa Bay for David Price.

3. Trade Ethier/Prospect to Mariners for Kyle Seager

4. Sign Masahiro Tanaka

5. Re-Sign Nick Punto, Skip Schumaker, J.P Howell, and Brian Wilson

6. Sign Brendan Ryan (SS), Mark Reynolds (1B/3B)

7. Call up Joc Pederson

Starting lineup

LF - Crawford

3B - Seager

1B - Gonzalez

SS - Ramirez

RF - Puig

CF - Kemp

2B - Guerrero

C - Ellis

Pitchers Spot

Bench:

Punto (Util)

Reynolds (1B/3B)

Schumaker (Util)

Federowicz (Catcher)

Ryan (SS)

Pederson (OF)

Pitching Rotation:

Kershaw

Greinke

Price

Tanaka

Ryu

Bulllpen:

Dominguez

Howell

Rodriguez

Withrow

Wilson

Jansen

All that most likely won't happen but that would put easily as the top team in the league.

• 40,365 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 06:47 PM

WC, you're not discouraged at all by David Price's rocky postseason & inconsistent regular season at times?

yo.

#2928 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:43 AM

WC, you're not discouraged at all by David Price's rocky postseason & inconsistent regular season at times?

Not at all. It's different if you're asking Price to be the ace of a staff which he wouldn't be here alongside Kershaw/Greinke.

He's a former Cy Young winner and is just 28 years old. When you have a chance to add a player like that, you don't think twice.

#2929 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,800 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 11:36 AM

I rather just get Tanaka and not gut our farm system. Then let Beckett, Billingsley, Lee, and Fife fight it out for the 5th spot.

#2930 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 02:53 PM

I rather just get Tanaka and not gut our farm system. Then let Beckett, Billingsley, Lee, and Fife fight it out for the 5th spot.

That's another option I would be okay with too. I want Price but has to be where we don't have to give up a lot of prospects.

I read an article saying the Dodgers could begin a youth movement next season by promoting their best position players to start off on the bench.

When it comes to pitching, if you can get an established pitcher for prospects, you do it. Prospects are never a sure thing. We just have to be smart about it

#2931 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,800 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Can you link me to that article?

I actually liked your proposal for Price best among others. Urias would be the only player I'll be missing from that package, but even with those players, I still don't think the Rays would take it. They got Wil Myers for James Shields lol. So they're probably expecting Puig from us for Price.

I think it would be great if we can get any prospect on the level of Kyle Seager for Ethier, I would be a very happy Dodger fan. I can also almost argue for the Dodgers to start Brendan Ryan at SS, very good glove.

#2932 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,184 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Y'all don't want Uribe back?

• 40,365 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Marlins Jose Fernandez & Rays Wil Myers win Rookie of the Year Awards

Too bad Fernandez couldn't be in the AL. Puig would've gotten' it then.

yo.

#2934 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Punto to Oakland

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2935 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,184 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:29 AM

:(

They need to re-sign Shumaker, and Young.

#2936 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,184 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:29 AM

The Mariners have expressed interest in Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, sources tell Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter).  It was reported last week that the Dodgers are open to moving Kemp, Andre Ethier, and Carl Crawford this winter.

#2937 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,800 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:10 PM

:(

They need to re-sign Shumaker, and Young.

No.

Dodgers need to upgrade over these guys, they were awful towards the end of the year.

Edited by Icker, November 13, 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#2938 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Dodgers can fill the bench for cheap. Not worried about that, will miss Punto though. Always played hard.

As for Kemp/Mariners news, any trade will need to start with Seager (3B) and Walker (SP) for the dodgers to consider that.

#2939 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Not a surprise but Clayton Kershaw wins the NL Cy Young Award.  Best pitcher in baseball.

• 40,365 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Punto was clutch. Came through so much in limited opportunities out of rhythm. That's not an easy thing to do.

Glad to hear they're at least entertaining offers for Kemp, Ethier, & Crawford. I like them all, but just the fact that they're considering it if they feel they can find something better I like and trust.

yo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users