Los Angeles Dodgers 2013 Season Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3112 replies to this topic

#2861 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,986 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:05 PM

^^ I would like Lincecum if he's only coming out of the pen.

#2862 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,484 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Sorry WestCoast. Honestly I was pulling LADs after my Braves went down to y'all. Stl vs Bos or Det...ho hummmm...no interest.

Edited by LakersGAFan, October 19, 2013 - 05:15 PM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#2863 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Sorry WestCoast. Honestly I was pulling LADs after my Braves went down to y'all. Stl vs Bos or Det...ho hummmm...no interest.

It is what it is.  I'm not too disapointed only because this team wasn't close to being the team that won the NL West.  Our best offensive player was Adrian Gonzalez, but after him we had 22-year old Yasiel Puig who needs to mature as a player, an injured Hanley Ramirez and an injured Andre Ethier.

When you lose the heart of your offense, it's not going to end up well. Despite all that, we still had chances, but just couldn't come up with the big hit. It's a good stepping stone for this team but they have to understand that this is what is expected of them every year in terms of reaching the post-season, it's all about winning it all though.

Next year, this team has to get better offensively.  Health obviously will change that and I think Hanley will be in the thick of the MVP conversation next year as will Kemp if they can stay off the injured list.

As for the World Series, as long as the Red Sox don't win, I'm fine with whoever wins.  I cannot stand the Red Sox or their fans.

#2864 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Possible free agent starting pitchers targets:

• Masahiro Tanaka (Japan)
  • Matt Garza
  • Hiroki Kuroda
  • Tim Lincecum

Out of those four, you could see the Dodgers grab one of them.  Kuroda & Lincecum are 5th spot starters.  Tanaka & Garza would be #3 or #4 guys.

As for position players, an interesting name that popped up yesterday was second baseman Brandon Phillips, who the Reds will look to trade this winter.  One of the biggest concerns with trading him is his contract, so a team will need to eat a big part of that if they want him. Obviously, I hear that and automatically thing Dodgers.  If the Dodgers cannot land Guerrero, I think Phillips could be a real option at second.  He's 32 years old, but he would bring another big time bat with pop to the Dodgers (18 or more home runs since 2007).

At third base, not many options.  Seager (our best prospect position wise) is still 2-3 years away.  I expect Uribe to be back on a 2 year deal (at most).

Bench needs to be totally rebuilt, I think almost, if not all our bench players are free agents.

The front office will have some work to do no doubt.

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:50 PM

What's Brian Wilson's status exactly?

Report: Dodgers Offered Clayton Kershaw $300M Contract

Clayton-Kershaw.jpg

Edited by    , October 19, 2013 - 05:53 PM.

yo.

#2866 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:54 PM

What's Brian Wilson's status exactly?

Report: Dodgers Offered Clayton Kershaw $300M Contract

Free agent. Many expect him to land a closer role somewhere.  If I were the Angels, I'd go and get him.

And was just about to post that article.  Pretty interesting.  This is part that sheds light on the contract:

But the negotiations progressed enough that there is confidence among some with knowledge of the talks that a long-term deal -- perhaps more conservative in length than the massive contract initially proposed by the Dodgers -- will be concluded this winter, with a significant portion of money being devoted to a charity of Kershaw's choosing.

I would assume nearly $100 million would go to charity.  He and his wife do a lot of work in the community as well as in underprivileged countries.  Pretty cool that a player would ask that money go to a charity, you rarely hear about that in contract negotiations.

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:59 PM

That is pretty damn awesome, but not all that surprising considering who we're talking about here. Kershaw's as classy and quality a human being as you'll ever see.

Free agent. Many expect him to land a closer role somewhere.  If I were the Angels, I'd go and get him.

You don't even think the Dodgers will make an effort to bring him back? It's not like money's exactly an issue right?

yo.

#2868 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:00 PM

That is pretty damn awesome, but not all that surprising considering who we're talking about here. Kershaw's as classy and quality a human being as you'll ever see.

You don't even think the Dodgers will make an effort to bring him back? It's not like money's exactly an issue right?

The Dodgers will definitely try to bring him back, but they can't offer him the closer role. Money won't be the issue, it's the role with the team. 

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Would you personally yourself have an issue with considering Jansen going back to set-up & giving Wilson the closer role?

Also, last I checked, Wilson has stated numerous times he's perfectly fine with pitching whatever role or position they give him though I know as a free agent that can change, but it's not definitive. So we're running on the assumption that he'll take no less than the closer role now correct? Haven't exactly heard that straight from him?

yo.

#2870 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Would you personally yourself have an issue with considering Jansen going back to set-up & giving Wilson the closer role?

Also, last I checked, Wilson has stated numerous times he's perfectly fine with pitching whatever role or position they give him though I know as a free agent that can change, but it's not definitive. So we're running on the assumption that he'll take no less than the closer role now correct? Haven't exactly heard that straight from him?

I would. Jansen is 26 years old and showed he can handle the role.  111 strikeouts for a closer is impressive and he'll improve his stuff. Jansen earned the job and it wouldn't be a smart decision to take that away from him.  But I hope Brian Wilson does return because that 8th/9th inning combo would be best in the league.

Brian Wilson stated he's fine pitching in whatever role given to him but you have to remember this was also when he was trying to establish himself as a major league pitcher again. He really had no choice but to accept whatever role given to him.

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, you're probably right unfortunately. I bet most Dodger fans including myself especially would love to be able to still work something out to get him back though. We'll see.

yo.

#2872 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,348 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Let me just say, [expletive] Victorino! The guy just hit a grand slam - Red Sox won. The prick couldn't do crap for us.

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Red Sox & Cardinals always seem to come up with magic meanwhile we mostly seem to come up with heartbreak. They're both clutch & we're often not.

yo.

#2874 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,348 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:49 PM

I was/am watching the UFC - Was it on Scherzer? Also, was it a 2-out situation? If it was on Scherzer, that makes both Cy Young winners as guys who got blown up at the worst time.

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:56 PM

^ No it wasn't. It was some dude from the bullpen, not Benoit though.

Edited by    , October 19, 2013 - 07:56 PM.

yo.

#2876 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,179 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:23 PM

I was/am watching the UFC - Was it on Scherzer? Also, was it a 2-out situation? If it was on Scherzer, that makes both Cy Young winners as guys who got blown up at the worst time.

Victorino hit the GS on an 0-2 count too. Tigers could have gotten out of the inning with a double play some moments before that too, but one of the infielders couldn't field a grounder out the middle cleanly so everyone on the bases was safe. Next batter, grand slam.

#2877 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,766 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted October 20, 2013 - 12:48 AM

If anything, Kemp's injuries are freak accident. Messing up his shoulder for fielding a ball at the wall in Coors field. An injury that takes atleast a year to recover off, so we should of never expected anything from him this year in the first place. And then he goes and freakishly sprains his ankle on a play at the plate. How are these injuries make Matt Kemp fragile? I don't even think he was on the disable list in his career before that play at Coors and Coors field is known to kill OF. Guess were Puig messed up his shoulder as well? While Tim Hudson had 2 healthy seasons in a span of 5 years and about to turn 37, are you really going to say he's more durable than Matt Kemp. And then go on to say he would be a better option than Bills? But then again, maybe I'm just a homer,

I didn't say Kemp was fragile, I said he was a medical train wreck as that was the term you had previously established for Hudson...

Hudson's injury was a freak accident.  Kemp's shoulder & ankle injuries were not freak accidents, they were preventable injuries that happened because of his own stupidity.  Couple that with his hamstring issues the last couple of years, and yeah Kemp is definitely more of a medical train wreck than someone like Hudson...

And yes, Kemp has been on the DL before.  His first full year in the bigs (2007) was derailed when he, guess what?  Ran into the outfield wall, this time at his home stadium no less.  Sense a pattern?  If not, you should also remember that Kemp had already run into the wall at Coors Field the game before he had his big run in with the same wall...

Hudson has had 3 healthy seasons in the last 5, and would have been 4 if some other player hadn't stepped on his ankle and fractured it. Nothing he can do about that.  After his Tommy John surgery he had back to back full seasons, and last year he had a delayed start to the season due to a herniated disk surgery yet that still didn't prevent him from winning 16 games...

If Hudson is indeed ready to go again by February he is most definitely a better option than Bills, who is still recovering from Tommy John so who knows how he will perform when he's ready to get back out there...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#2878 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,766 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 12:51 AM

Dusty Baker

Hell no...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#2879 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:33 PM

So because Matt Kemp slammed into a wall twice resulting in injury means he's a medical train wreck? That's a player going 110%.

The only injury where you can claim stupidity is the ankle injury he suffered versus the Nationals.

I'm not going to criticize a player for giving his all. Not a chance.

#2880 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,766 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 03:34 AM

No I just meant he's more of a medical train wreck than Tim Hudson.  That's the word that was brought up comparing the two...

And Kemp's shoulder injury in Colorado is definitely the result of stupidity.  How do you slam into the same wall twice in 2 days?  In a stadium that he plays 10 games a season at so he should be plenty familiar with after a half dozen years in the league...

2zi2dsm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users