#21 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,984 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:20 PM

That's my point. Philadelphia ans Denver got involved because the trade was also an opportunity for them to get better. Teams are not going to be like, "well we are helping the Lakers so we should back off." If it helps them, why not get involved? I guess one can make an argument that there may be some cases. Overall, I'm sticking to my concept. And I never said anything about Duhon or Ebanks.

What Mitch was basically saying was for a team to take Duhon sand Ebanks off our hands would have to be a team willing to help us more than themselves ;p that's how bad they are lol

And Mitch said no team is lining up to do that. And it was also true. No team is gonna take ebanks and duhon off our hands cause it'd help us and not them.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#22 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,327 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:35 PM

First of all, read the bold.

Gerald Green sucks. He played a half a season with the Nets, with probably 15 or so good games, and people started to believe he was a contributing player...starter-level. The Nets needed him, desperately, and gave him a big role that demanded hardly ANYTHING of him as a team player. As a result, he did what he wanted, the Nets were awful, and he looked okay.

Now, Gerald is in Indiana, on one of the best defensive teams in NBA history (some don't realize this), and he's shooting 34% and averaging just 6-7 PPG, lol. Useless player in a system that asks him to be a teammate.

Kenyon Martin was only needed here once we lost Jordan Hill, and had Dwight missing games due to injury (and now, Gasol being out). Otherwise, with everyone healthy, we didn't need his services.

Did we miss out on Delonte and CDR? Possibly. Those are two guys who I think would have been good for us. Douglas-Roberts is three times the player Ebanks is, and West is a defensive-minded combo guard that would know exactly how to play off of Kobe and Dwight.

Im not saying, that these guys would have been game-changers. All I’m saying is, that I think the Lakers front office is a lot better at getting the big names than the smaller ones. Brewer and Crawford were moved for next to nothing (future 2nd round pick and two expiring deals) and both would have been able to help a lot more than Ebanks and Morris. Hell, Houston even managed to pull off a deal for Thomas Robinson, which was complete salary-dump which saved the owners a few extra bucks before the team is moved.

I think the second Nash and/or Blake went out we should have went after Delonte, who is a better ball-handler, defender than Morris and Duhon and a capable 3pt shooter. Now that Pau is out i think K-Mart would have been a decent pick-up as well. As good as Clark have been he doesn't really have the size and strength to play back-up center and Sacre have been awfull.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, February 21, 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#23 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 22, 2013 - 12:43 AM

80% of this forum thinks making trades is easy. lol

Fixed for accuracy.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#24 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted February 22, 2013 - 12:44 AM

We don't know what happens behind the scenes, so lets not act like we actually do know.

As fans, all we get are the Tweets and other rumors from internet sites. We just don't know all the facts to the trade stuff.

Posted Image

#25 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,507 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 22, 2013 - 01:02 AM

Im not saying, that these guys would have been game-changers. All I’m saying is, that I think the Lakers front office is a lot better at getting the big names than the smaller ones. Brewer and Crawford were moved for next to nothing (future 2nd round pick and two expiring deals) and both would have been able to help a lot more than Ebanks and Morris. Hell, Houston even managed to pull off a deal for Thomas Robinson, which was complete salary-dump which saved the owners a few extra bucks before the team is moved.

I think the second Nash and/or Blake went out we should have went after Delonte, who is a better ball-handler, defender than Morris and Duhon and a capable 3pt shooter. Now that Pau is out i think K-Mart would have been a decent pick-up as well. As good as Clark have been he doesn't really have the size and strength to play back-up center and Sacre have been awfull.

How can you blame the Lakers for not being good at making small moves?

(Signed) Jodie Meeks, Antawn Jamison (Vets MIN)

Prior Seasons: Shannon Brown(Vladdy) Trevor Ariza (Mo Evans, and Brian Cook), Kwame Brown (BLOCKBUSTER DEAL) <-- Got us Gasol :bow:
Last Season: Jordan Hill(Derek Fisher), Ramon Sessions (For LUKE WALTON)...

Just because we don't make a single trade before THIS deadline doesn't mean our FO sucks cause thats basically what you are implying. If anything this was one of the quietest deadlines I've seen yet anyways. When JJ Reddick is the biggest name traded, I don't blame them for not pulling a trigger on other deals.

Edited by lakers1o1, February 22, 2013 - 01:02 AM.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#26 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,327 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 01:07 AM

Once again, i'm not saying that the front office sucks. I'm saying that THIS season and trade deadline, we've passed on players we should have signed.
I also am aware that making trades isn’t as easy as it sounds and most of my complaining probably comes from a general disgust over how terrible this season have been so far. But sometimes I wish the Lakers were more like the Spurs, who somehow manage only to take on guys who can contribute, always get impact players late in the draft and seem to improve even as their core guys gets older.

#27 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,507 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 22, 2013 - 01:12 AM

Once again, i'm not saying that the front office sucks. I'm saying that THIS season and trade deadline, we've passed on players we should have signed.
I also am aware that making trades isn’t as easy as it sounds and most of my complaining probably comes from a general disgust over how terrible this season have been so far. But sometimes I wish the Lakers were more like the Spurs, who somehow manage only to take on guys who can contribute, always get impact players late in the draft and seem to improve even as their core guys gets older.

Honestly, I just love the Spurs entire organization...
They someone manage to have constructed such a great franchise. They players and staff embody true loyalty.
The core of (Duncan, Parker, and Manu) have stayed put and have been successful every season.
And I agree, their ability to add guys like Leonard, Green, Splitter, Blair, and other minor moves are amazing

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#28 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted February 22, 2013 - 01:35 AM

The league is different...starting to really come down on high-payroll teams. We put all of our eggs in the basket for Kobe, Shaq, Gasol, and others who brought home hefty checks...whether they deserved them or not.

That's the sacrifice to win championships.

When you do this, when you focus on your core and filling it with superstars and all-stars, you can't put together a team like the Thunder, who can roll into the draft and select the next big thing at his position...or a team like Denver, who has a lot of talented role players, yet no superstar to put them over the elites.

Consequently, for those teams, they have to go through processes that us, as fans, wouldn't be able to handle. One (the Thunder) were the Sonics, a team sold because of many factors, some relating to their lack of winning...and the other (the Nuggets) who had to ditch their superstar scorer and, previously, go through a total of nine losing seasons (out of eleven) to land Melo in the draft.

What did that mean for Denver? Since drafting Melo, they have lost in the first round eight times...in nine completed seasons.

------------

My point was, these players that we supposedly missed out on...well, some of them are still sitting at home, so 29 other franchises must have missed out as well.

Others? Gerald Green hasn't amounted to anything, and he would likely be the same player he is in Indiana. I could write basically the same thing I did earlier, but you get the picture.

No team in NBA history has been an excellent, top-of-the-notch team relating to superstar free agency, role player free agency, the draft, AND trades all at once. None, not even the Spurs, who drafted their core and never rake in a big-name superstar free agent OR come up with a major trade that shakes the league.

Lakers fans are spoiled. While Toronto fans are hoping that Rudy Gay turns them into a bottom four seed in the playoffs next season, we're trying to figure out how our next dynasty will be put together BEFORE Kobe retires. A lot of us are already done thinking about this season or a possible playoff run, given that most don't believe we can beat the Thunder or Heat (let alone a few other squads)...doesn't really matter to us where we finish if it's not on top.

We did bring in Jamison for the Princeton, and that's where he would have fit in best. We brought in Meeks for that offense and for Nash to run the floor with (spotting up for three, like almost all of Nash's teammates have done over the years). We constructed a team for a particular coach, and a particular offense...and since then, we've had two coaching changes, two major injuries to starters (Nash, Gasol), a major injury to Jordan Hill, we lost Steve Blake for quite some time, and Dwight Howard is slowly returning to form.

The front office can't go out and shuffle players like it's NBA 2K13. Our coach, and our players, must find a way to play this game that utilizes our strengths, somewhat hides our weaknesses, and keeps players happy and wanting to produce each night. It was D'Antoni's job to see what Earl Clark was, as a player, during practices and live game play...not Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill's jobs to get hurt and have Clark replace them in the lineup. It's Dwight and Nash's job to execute the P&R better...and more often. It's Kobe's job to shoot as efficiently as he did in the first half of the season. It's Gasol's job to be more aggressive closer to the rim, even if his intentions are to facilitate. It's Ron's job to limit the threes and locate the defensive help on the court, to lead his man into that help as a high-IQ defender.

We can add CDR, West, or K-Mart...but it does no good, just like we realized when we added Dwight and Nash, if we aren't executing on both ends of the court in the best way possible.

#29 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,984 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 01:50 AM

Agreed. A lot of things we have to do are up top the players and executing. Nash had to have a sit down with Dwight and convince him running PnR with him and setting hard screens would help the team more and got Dwight out of his mindset to "show" he can do more than PnR. That was something Nash and Dwight had to come to on their own.

Metta in the celtics game got burned by Pierce in the first half but near the end was blocking his penetration shots as Clark then blockd his jumper and Ron kept him out of it for the rest of the game.

At that same time Ron got a lot of hockey assists and only took 5 threes the entire game, save 2 at the end when the game was already ours. Aside from that after adjusting defensively midway through the 2nd quarter he did what we need from him.

Pound the ball in the post, limit threes and let Clark do the majority of the stretching and set up hockey assists when you drive.

Nash was moving off ball effectively looking for his shot AND was getting good screens on and off ball from Dwight which set up easy looks and opportunities he took full advantage of.

Kobe was Kobe and Clark was Clark.

But it seems that our team is starting to get their defined roles fully down.

If we stay with that winning formula which we used against the Celtics which the pieces had been falling into place for 3 games so it wasn't a one night thing, then I think we'll be fine in terms of player production and executing.

At that point adding a Bell or a CDR etc would do some good since they'd add on towards execution rather than just seperately executing while everyone else still wasn't finding the right way to.

#30 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,320 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted February 22, 2013 - 04:04 AM

trade trash + payroll = difficult trade scenerio

#31 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,984 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 04:23 AM

Yes let's trade the best shooting point guard in the NBA that Kobe can get wide open looks and Dwight is finally finding a chemistry with and setting hard screens for giving even more wide open shots to.

That goes right up there with feeling like Dwight is basically Earl Clark :P

#32 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 934 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:22 AM

The Lakers have a solid roster. As good as any of the championship teams in 09 and 10. They just need to play. Jodie Meeks is greak, Earl Clark is great as far as role players go.

They just need to play, put the egos away and play. Kobe has done it and it has led to wins in 10 of the last 13 games. Dwight had a really good game out there against the celtics. It is not about the stat sheet either, the guy played with energy that I haven't seen from dwight in a long time. He needs to sustain it!

In my opinion nash has played very well. The man is 39 years old and still putting up solid numbers.

In reality it has been what it has always been about with the lakers, our big men. Dwight is still finding is way, and Pau was fiinding his way before he was injured.

At the end of the day I am just rambling but I am confident this team can make the playoffs and if we do, we have just as much a chance to win it all as everyone else. I wanted a move but it didn't happen; all is not lost yet.

#33 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,327 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:05 AM

The Lakers have a solid roster. As good as any of the championship teams in 09 and 10. They just need to play. Jodie Meeks is greak, Earl Clark is great as far as role players go.

They just need to play, put the egos away and play. Kobe has done it and it has led to wins in 10 of the last 13 games. Dwight had a really good game out there against the celtics. It is not about the stat sheet either, the guy played with energy that I haven't seen from dwight in a long time. He needs to sustain it!

In my opinion nash has played very well. The man is 39 years old and still putting up solid numbers.

In reality it has been what it has always been about with the lakers, our big men. Dwight is still finding is way, and Pau was fiinding his way before he was injured.

At the end of the day I am just rambling but I am confident this team can make the playoffs and if we do, we have just as much a chance to win it all as everyone else. I wanted a move but it didn't happen; all is not lost yet.

I agree. I just think that there have been situations where the Lakers passed on the opportunity to sign guys who could have made things a little easier. Perhaps not with Gerald Green, like Real Deal says, but Delonte West could really have helped and so could Raja Bell, Barbosa and several other had we pushed for them earlier.
Even Matt Barnes. The fact that we let him sign with the [expletive]ing clippers when he was our best bench guy last season is beyond me. He is ballin' with the Clippers now and we could actually use someone to take mins from MWP from time to time.

#34 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,875 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted February 22, 2013 - 11:52 AM

We have the following draft picks

http://www.prosports...ture/Lakers.htm

2014 Round 1

2015 Round 1

2016 Rounds 1-2

2017 Round 2

2018 rounds 1-2
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#35 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted February 22, 2013 - 12:19 PM

What picks do we have? I do not think we have any :laughing: (I might be wrong though)

WE have 2 second round draft picks

#36 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted February 22, 2013 - 01:29 PM

The league is different...starting to really come down on high-payroll teams. We put all of our eggs in the basket for Kobe, Shaq, Gasol, and others who brought home hefty checks...whether they deserved them or not.

That's the sacrifice to win championships.

When you do this, when you focus on your core and filling it with superstars and all-stars, you can't put together a team like the Thunder, who can roll into the draft and select the next big thing at his position...or a team like Denver, who has a lot of talented role players, yet no superstar to put them over the elites.

Consequently, for those teams, they have to go through processes that us, as fans, wouldn't be able to handle. One (the Thunder) were the Sonics, a team sold because of many factors, some relating to their lack of winning...and the other (the Nuggets) who had to ditch their superstar scorer and, previously, go through a total of nine losing seasons (out of eleven) to land Melo in the draft.

What did that mean for Denver? Since drafting Melo, they have lost in the first round eight times...in nine completed seasons.

------------

My point was, these players that we supposedly missed out on...well, some of them are still sitting at home, so 29 other franchises must have missed out as well.

Others? Gerald Green hasn't amounted to anything, and he would likely be the same player he is in Indiana. I could write basically the same thing I did earlier, but you get the picture.

No team in NBA history has been an excellent, top-of-the-notch team relating to superstar free agency, role player free agency, the draft, AND trades all at once. None, not even the Spurs, who drafted their core and never rake in a big-name superstar free agent OR come up with a major trade that shakes the league.

Lakers fans are spoiled. While Toronto fans are hoping that Rudy Gay turns them into a bottom four seed in the playoffs next season, we're trying to figure out how our next dynasty will be put together BEFORE Kobe retires. A lot of us are already done thinking about this season or a possible playoff run, given that most don't believe we can beat the Thunder or Heat (let alone a few other squads)...doesn't really matter to us where we finish if it's not on top.

We did bring in Jamison for the Princeton, and that's where he would have fit in best. We brought in Meeks for that offense and for Nash to run the floor with (spotting up for three, like almost all of Nash's teammates have done over the years). We constructed a team for a particular coach, and a particular offense...and since then, we've had two coaching changes, two major injuries to starters (Nash, Gasol), a major injury to Jordan Hill, we lost Steve Blake for quite some time, and Dwight Howard is slowly returning to form.

The front office can't go out and shuffle players like it's NBA 2K13. Our coach, and our players, must find a way to play this game that utilizes our strengths, somewhat hides our weaknesses, and keeps players happy and wanting to produce each night. It was D'Antoni's job to see what Earl Clark was, as a player, during practices and live game play...not Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill's jobs to get hurt and have Clark replace them in the lineup. It's Dwight and Nash's job to execute the P&R better...and more often. It's Kobe's job to shoot as efficiently as he did in the first half of the season. It's Gasol's job to be more aggressive closer to the rim, even if his intentions are to facilitate. It's Ron's job to limit the threes and locate the defensive help on the court, to lead his man into that help as a high-IQ defender.

We can add CDR, West, or K-Mart...but it does no good, just like we realized when we added Dwight and Nash, if we aren't executing on both ends of the court in the best way possible.

So basically we have to completely change how we do things now since the new CBA is more geared for small market teams...

So Instead of overpaying players we should look into finding the best staff in business since there isn't a cap on that(atleast to my knowledge) basically getting the best coaches, the best scouts, and the best GMs in the business who can always draft the best players either it be a lottery pick or even the last pick of the draft... and still be able to make blockbuster trades getting the best talent to come here

we just have to finer tune our resources for us to still be a dominate team in the west

#37 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,701 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 22, 2013 - 03:21 PM

U guys so dumb. Teams won't take a product without seeing some production. 8 man rotation is why no teams wanted any of laker fillers

8 man rotation is because only 3 guys from the bench have any business on the court most of the time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users