36 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,651 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:46 PM

One of the few things i really dislike about this Lakers team is their inability to get cheap assets. I know we can land the big, important ones like Shaq, Gasol, Nash, Howard etc., but sometimes it's the little deals that are important.

We've passed on guys like CDR, Gerald Green, Delonte West, K-Mart and Leandro Barbosa this past offseason and a lot more have signed elsewhere, unnoticed by LA. Now, when we passed the trade deadline we see teams like OKC and Boston make small, subtle moves, that will help them going forward.

OKC landed Ronnie Brewer from the Knicks for a 2nd round draft pick, which probably will be the 59th.
Boston landed Jordan Crawford for Barbosa's expiring and Jason Collins.

Why did we not land these guys for a 2nd round pick and few expiring contracts???? Both of these guys would have been nice additions to our roster. Jordan Crawford could be an instant-offense, Jamal Crawford type who still could turn out pretty good. Brewer is an elite wing defender, who can be used as both a back-up for Kobe and MWP and give us a defensive stopper in his prime.

Am i crazy for thinking this?

Edited by DanishLakerFan, February 21, 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,794 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yes.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#3 David

David

Superstar

• 8,014 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:51 PM

One of the few things i really dislike about this Lakers team is their inability to get cheap assets. I know we can land the big, important ones like Shaq, Gasol, Nash, Howard etc., but sometimes it's the little deals that are important.

We've passed on guys like CDR, Gerald Green, Delonte West, K-Mart and Leandro Barbosa this past offseason and a lot more have signed elsewhere, unnoticed by LA. Now, when we passed the trade deadline we see teams like OKC and Boston make small, subtle moves, that will help them going forward.

OKC landed Ronnie Brewer from the Knicks for a 2nd round draft pick, which probably will be the 59th.

Why did we not land these guys for a 2nd round pick and few expiring contracts???? Both of these guys would have been nice additions to our roster. Jordan Crawford could be an instant-offense, Jamal Crawford type who still could turn out pretty good. Brewer is an elite wing defender, who can be used as both a back-up for Kobe and MWP and give us a defensive stopper in his prime.

What picks do we have? I do not think we have any :laughing: (I might be wrong though)

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,978 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:52 PM

We don't know what happens behind the scenes, so lets not act like we actually do know.

As fans, all we get are the Tweets and other rumors from internet sites. We just don't know all the facts to the trade stuff.

#5 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,134 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Its not about what picks we have, its about What roster spots do we have...
Theres a reason why the FO even declared they wanted to clear some...

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#6 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,319 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:55 PM

What in the [expletive] do we have to give up for small pieces? Draft picks 5 years from now?

#7 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,951 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Mitch told u dont expect anything.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,794 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:04 PM

The one thing that came out was that we were making a run at DJ Augustine.

But it didn't go.

Like Mitch said, no teams are lining up to help the Lakers.

#9 Soobizzle12

Soobizzle12

Rookie

• 18 posts
  • Name:Sooby
  • Fan Since:Born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Wtf? Chris douglas roberts? Are you like stupid or what? Man you people on this site have no clue what your talking about sometimes.

#10 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,446 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:09 PM

For real, we totally missed out on young cheap players like Jordan Hill, Earl Clark, and Jodie Meeks. If only we had CDR, Delonte West, or Kenyon Martin, three guys who aren't even NBA players anymore because they're not good enough and/or have terrible attitudes.

If only we could have the highest paid starters in the league AND multiple young, athletic, inexpensive role players, amiright? Is that too much to ask for??

To hell with management. They can't even come up with a roster good enough to win a championship just 3 years after going to the finals 3 consecutive seasons! This is ridiculous, what are we, the Bobcats?

#11 David

David

Superstar

• 8,014 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Like Mitch said, no teams are lining up to help the Lakers.

That's a stupid philosophy. If it helps them, why not trade with the Lakers. Do you really think Denver and Philadelphia wanted us to get Dwight? Nope.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#12 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,765 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:20 PM

The Lakers strength in trades and drafting has never been getting young, cheap assets that contribute effectively. That's why we've had a weak bench for a long time and not a lot of production outside of a few key guys. Yeah I would love it if the Lakers could get a Crawford or Smith guy to come off the bench and drop 15 a night (or even someone less effective), but honestly, I'm glad that the one thing the Lakers are able to do is make the clutch trade/signing that gets us a ring (or close to it). See Shaq, Kobe, Phil Jackson, Payton, Malone, Gasol, Artest, Howard, etc.

Earl Clark and Jordan Hill have been two nice exceptions in recent memory, though.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,794 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:23 PM

That's a stupid philosophy. If it helps them, why not trade with the Lakers. Do you really think Denver and Philadelphia wanted us to get Dwight? Nope.

No but Philly wanted Bynum and Denver wanted Igudala.

Very understandable and makes sense.

So you tell me what Ebanks and Duhon gets you and what team they make better. Don't worry I'll wait... Perhaps the stupid philosophy was your own you just made :)

#14 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:23 PM

we better not mess up who we trade pau for this summer(i hope its this summer,not the deadline)

"The West aint close, now that the LAL got Dwight, who gon stop him on OKC!????" - Chris Webber (nba tv -August)

Big 4s are OVERRATED. you think Nash/Kobe/Dwight cant carry the whole Offensive load!?
(Peace Pau we need pieces, not MettaWorldPieces!!!!!!!!)

#15 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,951 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:25 PM

U guys so dumb. Teams won't take a product without seeing some production. 8 man rotation is why no teams wanted any of laker fillers
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#16 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 758 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:35 PM

The philosophy here is that teams won't make a trade simply because it would benefit the Lakers or their fans, meaning they aren't actively trying to fill our needs. It's not stupid at all. Phil and Denver benefited (at least Denver did) from the Dwight trade, but it wasn't because they actively tried to get us a center.

#17 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Eeyup

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#18 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,729 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:54 PM

First of all, read the bold.

Gerald Green sucks. He played a half a season with the Nets, with probably 15 or so good games, and people started to believe he was a contributing player...starter-level. The Nets needed him, desperately, and gave him a big role that demanded hardly ANYTHING of him as a team player. As a result, he did what he wanted, the Nets were awful, and he looked okay.

Now, Gerald is in Indiana, on one of the best defensive teams in NBA history (some don't realize this), and he's shooting 34% and averaging just 6-7 PPG, lol. Useless player in a system that asks him to be a teammate.

Kenyon Martin was only needed here once we lost Jordan Hill, and had Dwight missing games due to injury (and now, Gasol being out). Otherwise, with everyone healthy, we didn't need his services.

Did we miss out on Delonte and CDR? Possibly. Those are two guys who I think would have been good for us. Douglas-Roberts is three times the player Ebanks is, and West is a defensive-minded combo guard that would know exactly how to play off of Kobe and Dwight.

#19 David

David

Superstar

• 8,014 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:56 PM

No but Philly wanted Bynum and Denver wanted Igudala.

Very understandable and makes sense.

So you tell me what Ebanks and Duhon gets you and what team they make better. Don't worry I'll wait... Perhaps the stupid philosophy was your own you just made :)

That's my point. Philadelphia ans Denver got involved because the trade was also an opportunity for them to get better. Teams are not going to be like, "well we are helping the Lakers so we should back off." If it helps them, why not get involved? I guess one can make an argument that there may be some cases. Overall, I'm sticking to my concept. And I never said anything about Duhon or Ebanks.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#20 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:08 PM

people think making trades is easy. lol

who wants Blake, Ebanks, Duhon, Morris? why would a team want those players. No team would want a [expletive]ty contract, or a [expletive]ty player, or both. Come on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users