#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,898 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:29 AM

After appearing somewhat apprehensive early on to run pick and roll constantly with Nash whether due to spacing, chemistry or trying to prove that he could do more than just roll off screens and dunk with another LA big mans criticisms in his ear, Dwight Howard entered the all star breaj beginning to embrace the pick and roll tactic Nash has been begging for.

After the game he addressed this improvement and embrace on getting easier shots off it finally and using it to their advantages

Dwight Howard broke down how he and Steve Nash played the pick-and-roll well

"We did a good job of Steve waiting on the screens and I was able to set good screens and was able to roll hard," Howard said. "After setting a couple of hard screens, Steve was able to come off and hit some jump shots. That opened everything up. Once Steve hit some jump shots, it's tough for guys. They have to make a decision. They either have to let Steve get hot as he continues to shoot the ball or they have to step up and allow me to get dunks?"

This is great news from Howard's end but why the sudden change?

Steve Nash.

Unbeknownst to the media Steve Nash took it upon himself to have a heart to heart with Dwight about working with him on the pick and roll and forgetting what everyone else had said, as Nash puts it, he made it very apparent how important it is for BOTH of them

As KevinDing reports on their little heart to heart

Big-time Nash words about Howard: "We talked coming out of the All-Star break that he and I have really got ...

to find a way to be a tandem. He has to find ways to free me up, and therefore I am going to find ways to free him up -- and really become a team and a tandem together, put a lot of pressure on the defense and make the game easier for our teammates. We are going to work at it. It is still a work in progress, but the last two games before the break he really committed to running pick and rolls, setting good screens, rolling hard.

"And I think tonight you either saw me free for jump shots or him going down the paint for fouls or finishes. It has to be a big part of our offense."

Since their heart to heart, Dwight has set harder screens, is rolling faster to the basket, has been setting double screens and off ball screens for Nash. It seems Steve broke through.

As long as Dwight doesn't give a darn if people say all he can do is set screens and finish dunks then it helps us. Who cares if they say that? They can't stop it, so what's it matter?

It seems Nash has hammered this point home and since then we've seen a different Dwight, on and off ball.

Let's hope it remains consistent, but for now kudos to Nash for bringing it up to Dwight and kudos to Dwight for taking it to heart and playing hard!

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,511 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:48 AM

Nash has the DFish leadership qualities that we miss. I hope it becomes more and more prevalent as time goes on.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#3 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 920 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:50 AM

+1

#4 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:57 AM

Although im finally glad Dwight stopped being a boneheaded idiot. Why did it take this long? Why is dwight being such a baby about "being called" something"? MAN UP and WORK TO YOUR STRENGTHS!
Laker fan for life.

#5 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,393 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Bout [expletive]in time

#6 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:13 AM

For the first time ALL season, Dwight set hard screens like he used to do in Orlando. I don't know if he was too stubborn to do it because he just wanted post touches or what but I'm glad to see that he and Nash are looking to develop a P&R game. This is what we all envisioned when LA acquired both of them. This should have happened earlier in the season, but it is what it is.

Posted Image

#7 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,019 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:15 AM

we need to do the pick n roll at the elbow. dwight catching the ball on the run at the freethrow line is retarted.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#8 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,810 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Seems like Shaq really got to Dwight...not a surprise but he really has to block out things that are OBVIOUSLY meant to rattle his cage.

#9 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,213 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:02 AM

1gm & u think something has been figured out :smh:
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#10 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,801 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:56 AM

true it's only 1 game, but the way Dwight is talking sounds like he's fully committed (don't know why it took him so damn long to commit to the p&r considering he was the deadliest p&r player last year, and he's got the deadliest p&r PG in the league), and like what jhizzle said, this is truly the first time all season dwight has set SOLID screens, not that slip screen bull[expletive] we've been seeing, and rolling hard to the basket.

2div

#11 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Finally. What took so long.

Posted Image

#12 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,213 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:00 AM

true it's only 1 game, but the way Dwight is talking sounds like he's fully committed (don't know why it took him so damn long to commit to the p&r considering he was the deadliest p&r player last year, and he's got the deadliest p&r PG in the league), and like what jhizzle said, this is truly the first time all season dwight has set SOLID screens, not that slip screen bull[expletive] we've been seeing, and rolling hard to the basket.

Lets see what happens by end of MArch to see if its same as usual inconsistent play & bickering

#13 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,801 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:10 AM

all this goes to hell if the rockets get josh smith. [expletive]. lets all hope that doesn't happen.

2div

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,898 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter
Dan D’Antoni spent some time at the end of shootaround working on screen/roll with LAL’s bigs, most notably Howard. It’s been improving.

Even better news.

If we play it right we should beat Portland again with it. But I expect a big game from Aldridge. He's really all that keeps him in it and Lilliard I'm worried about. We'll see how he's defended tonight.

But this is good news about the screen and rolls working on after practice.

#15 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,825 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted February 22, 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm just wondering why the hell it took so long. Dwight is as dense as they come if he wasn't able to put two and two together until now.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,898 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm just wondering why the hell it took so long. Dwight is as dense as they come if he wasn't able to put two and two together until now.

I think he always put it together it's just that it seems those words really got to him when people, Shaq in particular, said all he could do was pick and roll and dunk.

So he was intent on being the "post player" everyone kept saying he wasn't. But it seems Nash finally got in his ear and made things clear to him and had a little heart to heart and Dwight seems to get it now.

Dwight needs to stop caring what other people NOT on his team think. And I think Nash finally hit home it.

#17 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,213 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Nash has the DFish leadership qualities that we miss. I hope it becomes more and more prevalent as time goes on.

Where has that leadership been once since his return? Just cuz a guy is a very good pg doesnt mean he is a gr8 leader especially when he hasnt been to finals nor won a title. Nash has no idea how to reach this group cuz he is used to having complementary players on his roster which makes his job easy. Nash is searching for a way just like coach d. Pj would be doing some of same things as coach d meanung 8 man stubborn rotation and allowing players to play horribly but still keep them on the floor win or lose!

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,898 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 05:21 PM

I love how "has he reached the finals or won a championship" is the be all end all barometer on whether or not someone is a good leader. And how you take credit away from Nash for having complimentary players around him. Yeah cause there's been many successful teams where teammates didn't gel and weren't complimentary with the star.

Seriously.. Give the guy credit. It doesn't break your world.

Edited by Majesty, February 24, 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#19 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,213 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:22 AM

I love how "has he reached the finals or won a championship" is the be all end all barometer on whether or not someone is a good leader. And how you take credit away from Nash for having complimentary players around him. Yeah cause there's been many successful teams where teammates didn't gel and weren't complimentary with the star.

Seriously.. Give the guy credit. It doesn't break your world.

He should have lost to Kobe & a pathetic team in 7 gm roster when Kobe was a so-called bad leader & had no DFish to play that role. Nash was MVP & had a team full of allstars & perfect group of role players. I give Nash credit but what credit has he deserved with this Laker team? He cant run the offense but he is finally getting better at "wanting" to score more often off catch & shoot (old DFish role). No a gr8 leader when he has the perfect mix of star players & role players = should be in Finals & or win them was my point!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users