Photo

Kupchak: "Howard Is The Lakers' Future" (Lakers May Choose Dwight Over Kobe If Ultimatum Given In Off-Season)

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:29 PM

Kupchak: Howard Is Lakers' Future

Feb 20, 2013 1:40 PM EST

Posted Image

Mitch Kupchak reiterated Wednesday the Los Angeles Lakers will not trade Dwight Howard before Thursday's deadline despite the inquiries that have been made.
In addition, Kupchak stressed Howard will fully recover from back surgery at some point and that the center will be a major part of the Lakers' future.
"Dwight is our future," Kupchak said. "He deserves to have his name on the wall and a statue in front of Staples at some point in time."
In Kupchak's mind, the Lakers have a two-year window -- this season and next.
"And a lot of that has to do with Kobe [Bryant]," Kupchak said.
Via Arash Markazi/ESPN

Lakers May Choose Dwight Over Kobe If Ultimatum Given In Offseason

Feb 20, 2013 2:07 PM EST

Posted Image

The relationship between Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard has been a subject of intrigue even before the Los Angeles Lakers paired the two in the offseason.
Bryant and Howard have struggled to coexist both on and off the court.
With Bryant nearing the end of his career, the Lakers hope their future will be tied to Howard.
"I've heard rumblings that if Howard told Laker officials this summer that the only way he'd stay in LA is if Kobe leaves, the Lakers could end up choosing Howard over Kobe," wrote Chad Ford. "It's an unlikely scenario, but one worth watching."
Bryant has a no-trade clause and would be able to veto any trade. Bryant's massive $30.45 million contract for the 13-14 season would also prove difficult to trade.
Bryant is also arguably the most popular player in Lakers' history alongside Magic Johnson.
The Lakers could also elect to use their amnesty clause on Bryant.
Via Chad Ford/ESPN

Edited by TheSuperbeast, February 20, 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#2 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,748 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Seriously? :smh:

33bkfif.jpg

#3 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,697 posts
  • Name:Andy

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:32 PM

Seriously?.. wow..dammit Dwight.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, February 20, 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#4 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Its kinda sad....

#5 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,694 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:35 PM

This is [expletive]ing horrific.

#6 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:35 PM

The title is misleading. Kupchak didn't say the Lakers would choose Howard over Kobe. Chad Ford did, and he called it an unlikely scenario because it's a massive hypothetical, given he said IF Howard says he won't stay with Kobe there, there's a CHANCE that they Lakers may go with Howard over Kobe. I would go as far as to say it will never happen. Kobe will retire a Laker unless it's over some contract dispute in 2014. And even if Dwight won't stay unless Kobe leaves, Kobe is under contract for next season, a $30 million dollar contract to be exact. Unless the Lakers want to use that as some massive expiring, there's a very small chance he gets traded.

Again, Dwight's problem isn't with Kobe or Nash. It's most likely with D'Antoni, who doesn't know how to use a big man other than in the PnR.

Edited by bfc1125roy, February 20, 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#7 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,694 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:36 PM

Holy wow. Yeah Lakers just dump Kobe. Everything he has [expletive]ing done for this [expletive]ing organization...

#8 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,396 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:38 PM

"Dwight is our future," Kupchak said. "He deserves to have his name on the wall and a statue in front of Staples at some point in time."

Is Mitch puffin that wacky tabacy? Seriously can we slow down and limit the expectations of Dwight just a little bit. It took KAJ like 20 years to get a statue and now Mitch is ready to give D12 his already.

And if the Lakers force a trade of KB24 somehow/someway.....I'm sorry but the Lakers will lose a fan thats spent lots and lots of money over the years on tickets, merch, memorabilia, etc.

You dont give more loyalty to a injured center whos done nothing but sign a one year deal with you than you do to the player whos won 5 chips and is your greatest all time. Its the exact definition of LOYALTY.

Edited by LakersGAFan, February 20, 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:43 PM

Oh, more unsubstantiated rumors to send the chicken littles into panic.
Posted Image

#10 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,697 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Is Mitch puffin that wacky tabacy? Seriously can we slow down and limit the expectations of Dwight just a little bit. It took KAJ like 20 years to get a statue and now Mitch is ready to give D12 his already.

And if the Lakers force a trade of KB24 somehow/someway.....I'm sorry but the Lakers will lose a fan thats spent lots and lots of money over the years on tickets, merch, memorabilia, etc.

You dont give more loyalty to a injured center whos done nothing but sign a one year deal with you than you do to the player whos won 5 chips and is your greatest all time. Its the exact definition of LOYALTY.

Most likely a way to get him to resign. You know how Dwight loves attention.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, February 20, 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#11 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:46 PM

First of all let me preface my reaction with a couple thoughts:

1) How would they force Kobe out? A massive contract with a no trade clause, very hard to move. Only way I see it, is if they amnesty Kobe, OR they make Kobe so upset he agrees to be traded to a contender - but I really see Kobe just retiring if things get this bad.

2) Kobe is perhaps the most popular Laker globally of all time. I just can't see it happening.

Ultimately, if the Lakers were to make such a tragic move to keep Dwight, I would officially end my 20 some years of being a fan. Nothing would be more hurtful, backstabbing, and horrifying than watching Kobe, who dedicated himself to this franchise, and then for them to pick an unproven guy like Dwight....well, there would be no room in my heart for the Lakers at that point.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,727 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Misleading title.

The FIRST article is true and out of Kup"s mouth. The SECOND article is "sources" bullcrap hypothetics.

The guy said "IF Dwight ever said to get rid of Kobe he thinks the Lakers would do it, or if it became a shaq kobe thing where Kobe was chosen that time that Dwight would be chosen this time"

It didn't say that Dwight requested it it was a guy speaking in hypothetics!

Read the articles more than just the title of the thread.

Edited by Majesty, February 20, 2013 - 12:52 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#13 L@keRmade™

L@keRmade™

Lakers4life

• 921 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Wow, that second article better not be true

[expletive] Dwight

Edited by Purple/Yellow, February 20, 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image

#14 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,396 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Oh, more unsubstantiated rumors to send the chicken littles into panic.

What I posted above is a quote from Mitch man. I cant believe Mitch would have the audacity to say Dwight deserves a statue in some point in time.
Dwight doesnt deserve [expletive]. Do something. Earn the right to even be thought in the same light as Magic, West, KAJ, Chick and 1 day Jerry Buss and Kobe.
Its disrespectful to even contemplate Dwight in the same breath as those Lakers legends who gave us so much.

As far as the Lakers closing the door on KB. This is the Jimmy show. Jimmy owes KB24 nothing. It could happen. Do I believe it will? No. But its totally possible. Jimmy wants to start and cement his legacy. Shipping out KB24 and his $30/mill would get the ball rolling in a rebuild effort if thats the way he chooses to go. The HISTORY of the franchise isnt HIS story. It was Jerrys. Were in un charted waters now.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,727 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Wow, that second article better not be true

[expletive] Dwight

Did you even read the second article?

Dwight didn't ask for Kobe gone.

The guy that wrote the article said "hypothetically" that "IF dwight ever askled it if he was going to stay in LA that he thinks the Lakers would do it.L

Dwight didn't say a thing and the writer said off bat he was basing it on hypothetics.

Did you read the article? The guy even said they could "amnesty" Kobe hypothetically.

Bet your bottom dollar they'd amnesty Gasol before ever amnestying Kobe.

Think..and read..

Edited by Majesty, February 20, 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#16 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,396 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:54 PM

1) How would they force Kobe out? A massive contract with a no trade clause, very hard to move. Only way I see it, is if they amnesty Kobe, OR they make Kobe so upset he agrees to be traded to a contender - but I really see Kobe just retiring if things get this bad.

Deplete his roll. A non starter. Sit him on the bench. Take him out at crunch time. Smear him publicly. All kinds of tactics to make KB demand a trade. Its possible. But like I said above I dont believe that it will happen. Well actually....I dont know wtf I believe but I'm really hoping that it doesnt.

#17 DameC24

DameC24

16!

• 535 posts
  • Name:Dame
  • Fan Since:When I seen my first Laker game on CBS
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:55 PM

Mitch will never get rid of Kobe. Now it's Dwight's choice to stay and take the extension. In my opinion, the media is trying to mislead you all.

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,727 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:58 PM

The media basically said "dwight could hypothetically ask for the Lakers to get rid of Kobe"

And people are posting as if Dwight flat out went and asked.

#19 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,853 posts
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thread title and the second article are totally misleading, don't let this send you off the deep end.

#20 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,516 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted February 20, 2013 - 01:01 PM

I will never stop being a laker fan. I root for the name on the front.

I see Kobe moving on before taking a back seat to Dwight.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users