17 replies to this topic

#1 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 111 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 19, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Stephen A. Smith talks a lot and though much of what he says is idiotic, I think he nailed it this morning with that statement on FT.

As far as anyone knows, Dwight is not a bad guy, but is it fair and reasonable to say that he's capable of a higher degree of basketball maturity? I'm not saying he needs to try to develop a scowl (a la Kevin Garnett's fake angry face), but does he have the mental make-up to become a FEARSOME presence in the middle?

I don't want to be too hard on the guy if he's not healthy, but could a coach like Phil get Dwight to that next level?

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,919 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted February 19, 2013 - 10:46 AM

probably so, but PJ isn't our coach. Unless PJ starts a "Boy Maturity Camp" this is irrelevant

#3 DameC24

DameC24

16!

• 532 posts
  • Name:Dame
  • Fan Since:When I seen my first Laker game on CBS
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted February 19, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Stephen A. is right, but like GAFan said, PJ is not our coach, so this is a non-factor. Only DH12 can only dig deep and become a man if he wants.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,337 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 19, 2013 - 12:12 PM

Dwight isn't getting to "manhood" till he has an off-season to get his body right. No matter who the coach is.

People need to quit acting like there's a magical button to push an Dwight will instantly become a 25/14 guy.

He's never been that his entire career even at his best. And this season he isn't healthy. He won't BE healthy till he's had an off-season of working out to catch his body up and get back on form.

Even Phil Jackson said it would take a year for Dwight to get right.

So no, even if we had Phil, Dwight would still be turning over the ball in the post, still have trouble going up and down the floor on a night in night out basis and would still have the same issues he has right now.

The reasons for Dwight playing the way he does isn't something that magically disappears if we got Phil jackson.

Some Lakers fans just need to get with the fact that no matter WHAT you do, Dwight isn't gonna be "Dwight" till next year and that's just how it is.

There is no magical secret "i win" button that Phil can press to make Dwight instantly healthy and in "off-season of entire workouts" form.

Look at Phil's last season. Kobe and Metta were injured, and Gasol had melted into "non motivated" mode, Steve Blake was coming off sickness(and NEVER should have played under those conditions as Phil should have kept Trey Johnson in that scenario).

That's why Phil checked out in the playoffs against Dallas.

Sometimes you realize no matter WHAT you do, when people aren't healthy they aren't gonna be able to come through for you. And no amount of "coaching" is gonna fix someone physically, no matter how great you are.

Phil ain't gonna make Dwight instantly well. No coach is gonna make Dwight instantly well. Only Dwight will, during an off-season of working out and hard work while finally having a healthy body and time to work on himself.

You Laker fans just WISH he could do it this year because other than the fact it would help us a ton, you're afraid of him walking next year and being a DOMINANT force somewhere else while we got the "worst" version of him for a year.

Fact of reality is NO coach is gonna make Dwight be 100% again. You're gonna have to wait till the off-season and hope he resigns so you get that Dwight next year.

It's all you can do.

Edited by Majesty, February 19, 2013 - 12:16 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#5 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 10,919 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Dwight isn't getting to "manhood" till he has an off-season to get his body right.

Hes 27 not 17. Maturity has nothing to do with his stats.

People need to quit acting like there's a magical button to push an Dwight will instantly become a 25/14 guy.

Since Dwight has NEVER averaged 25/14 in his career it would take a magical button for that to happen. His career averages are 18/12. I think maybe you're over rating him a bit.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,337 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Since Dwight has NEVER averaged 25/14 in his career it would take a magical button for that to happen. His career averages are 18/12. I think maybe you're over rating him a bit.

How? I said people need to stop acting like there's a magical button to push that would make him a 25/14 guy and that he's NEVER been that his entire career even when healthy. How was that overrating him?

I don't think you read what I said correctly :P

And Stephen A Smith's term "manhood" was acting like it was referring to his attitude but in reality it was referring to offensive production and effort.

Which I said, won't happen till he's had an off-season of work.

But Dwight has NEVER been a 24/14 guy so people need to stop acting like Phil Jackson would do that for him THIS year especially.

People just hope and wish there was a magical button to press because they deep down inside KNOW that with a full off-season of work that Dwight would return back to dominant form and they are afraid that he'll sign elsewhere and be the dominant form there while we got the worst version of him. So will grasp at whatever straw they can.

The reality is we NEED Dwight and we NEED to resign him after this season and he will be dominant next year.

IF we don't resign him we're done. And that's all there is to it.

Edited by Majesty, February 19, 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,938 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Won't matter if DH is 110% if Mike is still our coach.
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,337 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:57 PM

That depends.

Dwight at 110 percent getting the 2nd most post touches in the league and because he's 110 percent he isn't turning the ball over and has recovered his timing and athleticism probably could get 24 a night to be honest.

But we'll never know till he is. If he ever is again.

I remember saying a long time ago(when I was against the trade) that we'd be getting the worst Dwight Howard this year and that it was the worst year to get him.

Even so, I stand behind him and uynderstand his turmoil from injury and physical prowess and getting used to it.

So I don't mind. I just hope he resigns with us because next year he WILL be dominant. Just hope its for us.

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 02:16 PM

23ppg 14rpg in 2010, 21ppg 15rpg the next season, ya it's not 25 and 14 but pretty close. he also has averaged 21 and 14 4 out of the last 6 years, including this injury plagued season.
Posted Image

#10 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 10,919 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 02:21 PM

averages are averages. besides its all semantics. PJ is not the coach and Dwights probably gone. So whatever. I just wanna know what our long term roster is so I can cheer for the guys that will be on the Lakers.

#11 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:48 PM

I thought Shaq was being a "hater" when he said that D12 was not a dominant Center and wouldn't be til he averaged 28 and 15

With D12's small offensive skills....does anyone see this happening?
Not me....even when he's healthy
The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,242 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Do you want to see what Kobe was doing at 27, the things he said about this franchise?

What about Shaq?

Any competitor would be unhappy with our record

#13 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:54 PM

I hope and pray that Jim Buss makes a serious move to wipe the slate clean with the fans and win them over. That would mean firing D'Antoni, swallowing your pride, and hiring PJ.

Edit: I mean in the summer. This season is toast.

Edited by WWBD, February 19, 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#14 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,237 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:00 PM

about dwight resigning

mature or not, money talks. in fact, i think him being "immature" actually helps - dude will see the money and let this year's drama wash over him.

2div

#15 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Well Phil Jackson knows how to use big men and actually believes in posting them, so I do believe he could get more out of him. [expletive] manhood or whatever, the offensive system is a much bigger issue here.

#16 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:08 PM

I honestly can't see the Lakers giving Dwight what he wants this offseason, even if that means firing D'Antoni. Dwight is the bigger priority. Keep in mind that if the Lakers miss the playoffs, Kobe will be upset. And I may be in the minority, but I think with Jerry Buss gone (R.I.P), I could see Phil coming in to coach if he gets an opportunity at partial ownership with Jeanie.

#17 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:10 PM

I don't see Jerry as the hurdle there. Jim would never give partial ownership to Phil or Jeannie.

#18 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:16 PM

I don't see Jerry as the hurdle there. Jim would never give partial ownership to Phil or Jeannie.

Jim definitely doesn't want to give up any of his power, that is for sure. But the guy and the Lakers organization is entering a very fragile point. People are already beginning to talk about how things are slipping. If this team allows Dwight to walk during free agency, it will look even worse for him. I think he will have no choice but to do what it takes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users