Photo

I don't think people understood the magnitude of the situation here.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 03:55 PM

I don't think you understand the cycle of life ..

want you guys to worship this man

Worship ? i aint worshipping a human being to start of.

#22 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 03:57 PM

I like alot of your post but the "stern screwed us" theme is really tired. Let's review:
1. After Paul indicates to NO in the Fall of 2011 that he will become free agent at the end of the season, Kupchak trades Gasol and Odom in a proposed 3 way deal that would have sent Paul to the Lakers
2. Hornets would have gotten Luis Scola, Kevin Martin and a 2012 first round draft pick
3. Proposed trade is submitted to the League, WHICH OWNS THE HORNETS
4. League is in the process of trying to sell the Hornets, they are looking for mostly young players and draft picks
5. Within ONE HOUR of submission of the proposed trade, Stern, as decisionmaker of the OWNER of the team, declines the trade
6. Paul eventually gets traded to the Clippers for Eric Gordon (age 22), Al-Farouq Aminu (22), Chris Kaman (expiring contract) and a first round draft pick
7. Paul immediately picks up his 2012-2013 player option
8. Scola later gets amnestied by Houston
9. Odom allegedly get ticked that Lakers tried to trade him and demands his own trade
9. Paul later reveals that he really wanted to go to the Clipper all along

This was a weak deal from the Hornets standpoint, and did not fit their plans. Why is it such a surprise that the team's owner vetoed the trade????

Beyond this, what assurances are there that Paul would have picked up his option if he had been dealt to the Lakers instead? He saw (and sees) the decline of the team and its likely future, he wanted to go somewhere where the team was young, had budding stars and was in need of a leader ... he found it.

You guys really need to past your monkey butt feelings over this. Stern did exactly what he should have done in that situation.

I thought he was frustrated about the declined trade.

#23 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,629 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:05 PM

A little preachy

#24 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:09 PM

I see a lot of spoiled lakers fans here but most of you guys will understand how this franchise took the biggest hit of all time

We arguably had the best owner of a sports team of all time and you guys are saying "oh well" and "it's the circle of life" LMAO

it makes me sick seeing how spoiled some of you are... but if the Lakers start losing and go a decade with out a championship or even 5 years with out a championship I bet most of you will soon become Thunder Fans or Heat fans... smh

#25 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:15 PM

I see a lot of spoiled lakers fans here but most of you guys will understand how this franchise took the biggest hit of all time

We arguably had the best owner of a sports team of all time and you guys are saying "oh well" and "it's the circle of life" LMAO

it makes me sick seeing how spoiled some of you are... but if the Lakers start losing and go a decade with out a championship or even 5 years with out a championship I bet most of you will soon become Thunder Fans or Heat fans... smh

Buddy, tell me what i am suppose to do ?

I felt sad for Jerry Buss, i know what he brought to the Sports in General ! I know he's the reason why the Lakers exist and its the reason why i love the Lakers..

but seriously, typing behind the computer is the way to tell us how it was a huge loss for us ? SMH ..

Edited by fozi, February 18, 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#26 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Buddy, tell me what i am suppose to do ?

I felt sad for Jerry Buss, i know what he brought to the Sports in General ! I know he's the reason why the Lakers exist and its the reason why i love the Lakers..

but seriously, typing behind the computer is the way to tell us how it was a huge loss for us ? SMH ..

Let's see what happens in the future... Hopefully Jim Buss gets on good terms with Phil Jackson and appoints him as a GM or have some kind of control over the Lakers franchise...

but I understand you honestly don't care but your saying what you think is supposed to sound good.. smh

#27 Rad

Rad

• 1,644 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Some amusing comments in here. Some of you act like you knew Dr Buss personally.

#28 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,736 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:26 PM

this is hilarious

#29 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:27 PM

See, all what you think about is whats going to happen to the Lakers.

I feel sorry for his family but i understand he isn't the first or the last to die, all i can do is to wish his soul to rest in peace ..

And yeah, you feel sorry for him? why don't you pick a flight or a [expletive]ing ride to the funeral. Tell his family that you would work for them for free to show how you appreciate the man who made you happy 5 times in the last decade..

Edited by fozi, February 18, 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#30 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:35 PM

See, all what you think about is whats going to happen to the Lakers.

I feel sorry for his family but i understand he isn't the first or the last to die, all i can do is to wish his soul to rest in peace ..

And yeah, you feel sorry for him? why don't you pick a flight or a [expletive]ing ride to the funeral. Tell his family that you would work for them for free to show how you appreciate the man who made you happy 5 times in the last decade..

LOL real mature

my whole point is don't try to down play what somebody has done for YOUR favorite team and especially after they pass away that's just disgust me

#31 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:57 PM

I knew what his condition was since couple months, so i might not be as shocked as you.

i made a post in the pinned thread. And then OP says he doesn't think people appreciate him, so theres its the cycle of life :) ..

Edited by fozi, February 18, 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#32 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Enough of the immature bickering towards one another. Some of you guys need to grow up. If not, I'm just going to get rid of you permanently from the forums. For all I care, you can go to the ESPN boards to post your trash there.

There's a handful of you that ruin every single topic with immaturity and simply put, I'm done putting up with it. Shape up or you're gone.

#33 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,243 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 18, 2013 - 05:33 PM

I look at this kind of like the passing of Steve Jobs. Yes it's sad, and yes things will never be the same, but everyone saw this coming and he's pretty much been out of the picture for a while now. I think they said he was hospitalized for 9 months. It's not like this team is going to be sold to another family now. As much as you all want to criticize him, Jim is actually trying to win for the Lakers. He's not some guy who's trying to make money off of Daddy's NBA team.

#34 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 18, 2013 - 05:34 PM

I like alot of your post but the "stern screwed us" theme is really tired. Let's review:
1. After Paul indicates to NO in the Fall of 2011 that he will become free agent at the end of the season, Kupchak trades Gasol and Odom in a proposed 3 way deal that would have sent Paul to the Lakers
2. Hornets would have gotten Luis Scola, Kevin Martin and a 2012 first round draft pick
3. Proposed trade is submitted to the League, WHICH OWNS THE HORNETS
4. League is in the process of trying to sell the Hornets, they are looking for mostly young players and draft picks
5. Within ONE HOUR of submission of the proposed trade, Stern, as decisionmaker of the OWNER of the team, declines the trade
6. Paul eventually gets traded to the Clippers for Eric Gordon (age 22), Al-Farouq Aminu (22), Chris Kaman (expiring contract) and a first round draft pick
7. Paul immediately picks up his 2012-2013 player option
8. Scola later gets amnestied by Houston
9. Odom allegedly get ticked that Lakers tried to trade him and demands his own trade
9. Paul later reveals that he really wanted to go to the Clipper all along

This was a weak deal from the Hornets standpoint, and did not fit their plans. Why is it such a surprise that the team's owner vetoed the trade????

Beyond this, what assurances are there that Paul would have picked up his option if he had been dealt to the Lakers instead? He saw (and sees) the decline of the team and its likely future, he wanted to go somewhere where the team was young, had budding stars and was in need of a leader ... he found it.

You guys really need to past your monkey butt feelings over this. Stern did exactly what he should have done in that situation.

"You guys"???

Stern acting as an owner was a conflict of interest or at least highly unconventional.... there should have been another way of doing it and there probably was
By dumping CP3 and others drove down the value of the Hornets.....drove the fans away, which gave the perception that NO was a failing franchise. Getting rid of Big contracts....and killing interest in the club opened the door to selling the club to who they wanted to sell it to.
at a lower price. If NO had been allowed to trade freely and aquire players.....it could have driven the value up and the amount of money the "New Owner" had to put out. There is no doubt in my mind that the present Owner of the Hornets........ made this deal contingent unpon what Stern allowed to happen or not happen
The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#35 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted February 18, 2013 - 06:31 PM

\

i totally agree with you on this
Posted Image

#36 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,291 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 18, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Yes alot of the 2000 and beyond fans are spoiled. It was hard in the 90's watching jordan win all the time. Even winnin the first one against us

#37 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,520 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 19, 2013 - 10:40 AM

"You guys"???

Stern acting as an owner was a conflict of interest or at least highly unconventional.... there should have been another way of doing it and there probably was
By dumping CP3 and others drove down the value of the Hornets.....drove the fans away, which gave the perception that NO was a failing franchise. Getting rid of Big contracts....and killing interest in the club opened the door to selling the club to who they wanted to sell it to.
at a lower price. If NO had been allowed to trade freely and aquire players.....it could have driven the value up and the amount of money the "New Owner" had to put out. There is no doubt in my mind that the present Owner of the Hornets........ made this deal contingent unpon what Stern allowed to happen or not happen

NO was a failing franchise with Chris Paul there. That's the reason the League took it over. NO was averaging "announced" crownds of 15,00 a game while Paul was still there, with many of the tickets bought by local businesses to boost the numbers (otherwise the team had a right to opt out of the lease). There was no plan to dump CP3 and drive the fans away. They were already gone. The League bought the team in an effort to preserve value and keep the franchise in NO.

It was clear that a rebuild process had to happen which would stretch well beyond Paul's prime. NO relaized it, Paul realized it, so he indicated he was going to walk. NO traded him to get something in return before he walked. NO did not want older players and bigger contracts when it was in rebuild mode.

Demps made a proposed deal subject to NO owner's approval. The owner had another plan in mind, which was to rebuild the franchise with young talent and draft picks.

The fact that the franchise was owned by the League put Stern in an awkward position ... was he doing what was best for the franchise or was he blocking the trade because other owners didnt want Paul on the Lakers? If the proposed trade had involved young players and picks, the motivation would have been clear. Because it involved older players with bigger contracts and a draft pick, Stern made a good decision for the franchise, but I grant you that might not have been his only motivation.

The point is that there is another, viable point of view, as opposed to the predominant "Stern screwed us" view held by most Lakers fans.

Edited by LakerGeezer, February 19, 2013 - 10:51 AM.

Debbie Downer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users