League sources believe Mitch & Lakers will still field calls for Howard

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Please throw in the towel already on this season and salvage what you can in the years to come. This one was over when Phil got the midnight kiss-off.

#22 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Dwight Howard and Steve Nash to MINN for Kevin Love and Rubio. That is only deal I take. Rubio+Pau+Love to space floor=gold.

LOL

Why are you so hard up to ship out our only good PG in YEARS?

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#23 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Unless you can get a guy you can win a championship around in return, you don't trade Dwight. As great as Rondo is, he doesn't fall in that category.

The Lakers have to look towards the future, and being stuck with somebody you can't win a championship around is the way to get stuck in mediocrity.

Honestly, walking away with nothing is better than getting stuck with those pieces. It allows you to bottom out instead of being stuck in the middle where you don't get high draft picks.

Posted Image

#24 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,488 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Unless you can get a guy you can win a championship around in return, you don't trade Dwight. As great as Rondo is, he doesn't fall in that category.

The Lakers have to look towards the future, and being stuck with somebody you can't win a championship around is the way to get stuck in mediocrity.

Honestly, walking away with nothing is better than getting stuck with those pieces. It allows you to bottom out instead of being stuck in the middle where you don't get high draft picks.

i agree. though i think more of rondo than you apparently do, i still think howard is more worth keeping
Posted Image

#25 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 536 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:23 PM

It's a [expletive]ty situation to be in. I would love to see Dwight healthy and strong being a defensive maniac. However, coming off back surgery and now with a nagging shoulder injury, plus a closing window to get Kobe (and Nash, i feel he is due) another ring, you need to put yourself in the best possible situation to 'win now' (that phrase is becoming the new 'trade imitate')

If it means trading Dwight for a couple of guys that would turn our situation around, maybe you have to do it. You just have to make sure you are clear salary wise in 2014 free agency seeing the names available.

All that being said, they gambled a fair bit to get Dwight, so I don't see him going anywhere if something amazing isn't thrown at the lakers. I'm looking forward to seeing next year to be honest, hopefully it brings a new coach and a solid off season.

#26 Ronald Artest

Ronald Artest

Rookie

• 35 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:23 PM

give me brook lopez and gerald wallace

Toss in Marshon Brooks and some picks and we're good.

#27 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,488 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:28 PM

sounds great. 2 average players with nuclear contracts, and a decent young shooting guard should really get this franchise back on track
Posted Image

#28 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:45 PM

no matter who we trade for or sign as FA as long as we have MDA running the team, Lakers don't matter..... id suggest we get a defensive coach instead of a trade. we need defensive principles, defensive schemes, and oh did i mention we need defense?
Posted Image

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,459 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Dwight Howard and Steve Nash to MINN for Kevin Love and Rubio. That is only deal I take. Rubio+Pau+Love to space floor=gold.

Super soft team right there.

Kevin Love and Pekovic is the type of deal i would consider...Pau will never be again be able to be a Center without a PF like Ibaka or Faried

#30 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted February 15, 2013 - 11:49 PM

I totally disagree.
I dont think we can win a championship with Kobe-Nash-Pau the mini-midlevel and our current players - regardless of how well both Hill and Clark have played. If Dwight leaves we will depend on signing a FA in 2014 if the Lakers is going to win a championship in the Kobe-era.
I do think we can win a championship with pieces from some of the teams that Dwight is considering.
Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons, Greg Smith and picks OR Al Horford, Kyle Korver OR Lopez, Blatche, Marshon Brooks.

#31 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,967 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 16, 2013 - 12:13 AM

Mitch debunked this in under 24 hours

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#32 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 12:35 AM

I totally disagree.
I dont think we can win a championship with Kobe-Nash-Pau the mini-midlevel and our current players - regardless of how well both Hill and Clark have played. If Dwight leaves we will depend on signing a FA in 2014 if the Lakers is going to win a championship in the Kobe-era.
I do think we can win a championship with pieces from some of the teams that Dwight is considering.
Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons, Greg Smith and picks OR Al Horford, Kyle Korver OR Lopez, Blatche, Marshon Brooks.

Considering the Lakers are a terrible defensive team with the best defensive anchor in the NBA and are going to miss the playoffs, no way those players help the Lakers become a contender again.

And when the Lakers are stuck with those players alone in a few years, say hello to mediocrity. Seriously, teams would rather bottom out than be mediocre. That's why Orlando insisted on not taking back a lot of currently good players when they traded Dwight.

Posted Image

#33 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 01:04 AM

Considering the Lakers are a terrible defensive team with the best defensive anchor in the NBA and are going to miss the playoffs, no way those players help the Lakers become a contender again.

And when the Lakers are stuck with those players alone in a few years, say hello to mediocrity. Seriously, teams would rather bottom out than be mediocre. That's why Orlando insisted on not taking back a lot of currently good players when they traded Dwight.

Disagree, again.

Houston: Asik is a very solid defender on a favorable 8m/yr deal (top 5 in the league according to Synergy) and the right "type" of player to play next to Gasol. Parsons and Smith are both on 3yr rookie deals and both are playing really well and Parsons looks like he could be really good. We'd be able to play Nash-Kobe-Parsons-Pau-Asik and have an extremely solid bench with Meeks, Clark, Smith and Hill. In 2014 we would still have enough cap-room to sign a max as well as resign Kobe to a KG-esque deal and even keep Pau. This deal would also include draft picks and other pieces.

Atlanta: Korver is the best shooter in the nba and Horford is one of the best bigs. Both will fit very well into the D'Antoni system and Horford and Pau would be able to play together a lot better than Pau and Dwight. Nash-Kobe-Korver-Horford-Pau would be almost impossible to defend.

Brooklyn: Lopez is an elite big who is worth a max but only is paid 2/3rds of a max. Blatche is a nutcase, but plays extremely well (PER 21.9) and Marshon Brooks is a solid prospect going forward. All of these guys can be used or traded (Lopez for K-Love??)

As i've said before: I would prefer to keep Dwight, but given that he may walk this summer and i dont believe Nash-Kobe-Pau cant get it done by themselves, i think these deals are worth looking at. IMO all 3 deals would make us contenders.

#34 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 02:04 AM

Lol, those trades would make the Lakers worse right now, much less the future. People keep acting like Dwight is giving us nothing right now. That's not the case at all.

You can't go all in at this point anymore anyway. It'll only hold back the Lakers from rebuilding correctly after next season.

Having nothing but non-superstars on big contracts would hurt the team greatly.

Edited by Japago, February 16, 2013 - 02:07 AM.

Posted Image

#35 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted February 16, 2013 - 02:49 AM

We don't have to make a big moves. All we need is a small trade that would land us Kyle korver.

ew. shooters are overrated. he'd literally be another jodie meeks on the court. all we need is a complete offensive player on the wing ( we need someone who can shoot and create his own shot too) you can play that player in both units, and hed be big help to both

#36 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 02:52 AM

Lol, those trades would make the Lakers worse right now, much less the future. People keep acting like Dwight is giving us nothing right now. That's not the case at all.

You can't go all in at this point anymore anyway. It'll only hold back the Lakers from rebuilding correctly after next season.

Having nothing but non-superstars on big contracts would hurt the team greatly.

Getting a small group of healthy guys that fit right in might be the only thing that could save this disaster of a season.

I dont really see how these trades hurt our chances going forward either. We save money by getting players that are worth a lot more than they're paid and they can fit next to our "core" players. In the summer of 2014 both Kobe and Pau come off the books for a combined 48 million, which will create plenty of room to sign a max deal.

In the Houston deal we'd go into the summer of 2014 with Nash, Parsons and Asik as well as close to 40 million in cap space.
In the Atlanta deal we'd go into the summer of 2014 with only Horford and Nash as well as 35 million in cap space.
In the Brooklyn deal we would have Lopez, Marshon Brooks, Nash and about 30 million in cap space.

#37 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 04:29 AM

Getting a small group of healthy guys that fit right in might be the only thing that could save this disaster of a season.

I dont really see how these trades hurt our chances going forward either. We save money by getting players that are worth a lot more than they're paid and they can fit next to our "core" players. In the summer of 2014 both Kobe and Pau come off the books for a combined 48 million, which will create plenty of room to sign a max deal.

In the Houston deal we'd go into the summer of 2014 with Nash, Parsons and Asik as well as close to 40 million in cap space.
In the Atlanta deal we'd go into the summer of 2014 with only Horford and Nash as well as 35 million in cap space.
In the Brooklyn deal we would have Lopez, Marshon Brooks, Nash and about 30 million in cap space.

Those players would just be taking up payroll needlessly. You're not going to attract FAs with players like that. And, they would keep the Lakers from bottoming out and getting a good draft pick.

Edited by Japago, February 16, 2013 - 04:29 AM.

Posted Image

#38 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted February 16, 2013 - 05:01 AM

love + pekovic for Howard would be a great pickup

pekovic is turning into an above average NBA center...
Love would be the player for the future

And, it would allow the lakers to turn around and trade Pau for a SF or a young guard...

Unfortunatly, Minny would rather have pau (at last we heard)

#39 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 05:02 AM

Those players would just be taking up payroll needlessly. You're not going to attract FAs with players like that. And, they would keep the Lakers from bottoming out and getting a good draft pick.

I still dont follow what your're saying. Those deals i proposed all include guys on very favorable deals and i think LA always will be a destination for big FAs.
Also, this team is not about bottoming out and if it we're we'd have to go all the way and amnesty Kobe this summer and bottom out next season and hope we could get Andrew Wiggins.

#40 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 05:32 AM

I still dont follow what your're saying. Those deals i proposed all include guys on very favorable deals and i think LA always will be a destination for big FAs.
Also, this team is not about bottoming out and if it we're we'd have to go all the way and amnesty Kobe this summer and bottom out next season and hope we could get Andrew Wiggins.

They still eat up payroll. Asik, Horford, and Lopez will all make big money.

Think about Pau Gasol with the Grizzlies. For years, they remained in mediocrity because they were too good to get high draft picks, but not good enough to compete. That's what will happen if you get Horford or Lopez and try to build around them. They won't attract FAs either. Being in LA won't attract FAs alone. Otherwise, Dwight would definitely stay anyway.

Being devoid of any talent is better than being a mediocre team. That's how you get difference makers like the Cavs did with Kyrie Irving. The extra cap space of the Lakers could be used to get more draft picks by taking in bad contracts later on.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users