Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted February 17, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Looking at the bright side :
Pringles will get fired.
Brian Shaw could get hired
Any of Riley's disciples could get hired.

Lakers are in a big market city

If you're optimistic : Andrew Wiggins becomes a Laker via Stern Compensation or via trade from Magic

Edited by alec613, February 17, 2013 - 11:15 AM.

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#62 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 17, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Looking at the bright side :
Pringles will get fired.
Brian Shaw could get hired
Any of Riley's disciples could get hired.

Lakers are in a big market city

If you're optimistic : Andrew Wiggins becomes a Laker via Stern Compensation or via trade from Magic

Dat delusion XD

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#63 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Dat delusion XD

Not this season, of course

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#64 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted February 17, 2013 - 12:28 PM

We have to deal with Mike Dantoni for another 2 years...

#65 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted February 17, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Absolutely right. This is arguably the worst season ever. Do you remember back in the sunny and warm days of August when we were talking about breaking the Bulls' 72-10 all-time record? A team led by Kobe, Nash, Howard and Gasol should be fighting for the top seed in the NBA, not for the last playoff spot to save their lives.

Edited by Nak, February 17, 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#66 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,875 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 17, 2013 - 02:31 PM

Lol...Was Phil great because of X's and O's or because he was intelligent and unique and knew people.

Brian is just a guy... He isn't Phil.

Rambis isn't Phil.

none of those guys will be as good as Phil.

In Fact they are a much bigger risk than mike Brown and D'Antoni. MUCH

#67 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Lol...Was Phil great because of X's and O's or because he was intelligent and unique and knew people.

Rambis isn't Phil.

none of those guys will be as good as Phil.

Disagree.

Brian Shaw, while he is an unknown coaching wise, was being groomed by Phil Jackson himself to become a head coach. While Brian Shaw will never be Phil, as will no one ever in sports be Phil, Shaw learned from the man himself in how to deal with personalities and putting players in position to succeed.

Now that doesn't automatically equivilate to success, see Mike Brown learning under Popovich, but the players were in favor of Shaw after Phil retired. It would have been a much easier transition to Brian Shaw because of the familiarity with him as the assistant coach. Instead the Buss family wanted to get as far away as possible from the Phil era as possible so Shaw was not going to be that choice.

Would it have been a risk going with Shaw? Sure. Unless you're hiring Greg Popovich, there's not many coaches out there that don't come with risks. But was he a bigger risk than Brown? No and he definitely wasn't a bigger risk than D'Antoni. The lowest risk in a coaching change comes with the amount of familiarity a coach has with players. Shaw knew the players, knew the franchise, and knew the expectations of ownership, the fans, and the media. Brown didn't know about it and D'Antoni showed he couldn't handle it in New York.

#68 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,875 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 17, 2013 - 04:55 PM

Brian Shaw didn't know Chris Paul...let's not forget what we were really trying to do that off-season.

Kobe said he wanted a defensive coach.

Lakers don't want Pau, lets be real there too.

D'Antoni knows Nash, Kobe, Dwight ...isn't that what really matters?

Brian Shaw isn't the type of coach that the Lakers typically go after. If you don't have RINGs, at least have playoff experience

#69 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Mitch's contract ends this summer. I wonder if he'll return

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#70 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 01:33 PM

This is by far the worst season ever from the Lakers I wonder were we are going to go from here?

#71 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think the lakers are headed to a "dry era" of mediocrity and bad team. Ever since that Chris Paul trade I felt like the lakers had become cursed. Add the fact that the organization just lost its leader. I just don't see us being the great franchise we once were. When Kobe retires, I think this team goes as far as the gutter for a while...
Laker fan for life.

#72 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted February 18, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Disagree.

Brian Shaw, while he is an unknown coaching wise, was being groomed by Phil Jackson himself to become a head coach. While Brian Shaw will never be Phil, as will no one ever in sports be Phil, Shaw learned from the man himself in how to deal with personalities and putting players in position to succeed.

Now that doesn't automatically equivilate to success, see Mike Brown learning under Popovich, but the players were in favor of Shaw after Phil retired. It would have been a much easier transition to Brian Shaw because of the familiarity with him as the assistant coach. Instead the Buss family wanted to get as far away as possible from the Phil era as possible so Shaw was not going to be that choice.

Would it have been a risk going with Shaw? Sure. Unless you're hiring Greg Popovich, there's not many coaches out there that don't come with risks. But was he a bigger risk than Brown? No and he definitely wasn't a bigger risk than D'Antoni. The lowest risk in a coaching change comes with the amount of familiarity a coach has with players. Shaw knew the players, knew the franchise, and knew the expectations of ownership, the fans, and the media. Brown didn't know about it and D'Antoni showed he couldn't handle it in New York.

Agree 100% thats why at the time I wanted Shaw the familiarity and trust, plus that am we had when Brown was 1st hired should have still been running the triangle.

I agree with a lot of ppl here I do think were gonna be entering a bit of a dark ages with this team for maybe a few years or a decade, this something I said and I know LakerGAfan mentioned a lot when Brown was hired. The Lakers just have this weird feel even when we got Dwight and CP3 deep down I wasnt too excited I didnt think we would win with em I thought wed be a lot better than this and probably make the Conference finals though.

Edited by NYCLakerfan, February 18, 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#73 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 18, 2013 - 03:23 PM

Phil wasn't public ally humiliated. He was humbled.

People kill me.

Does "public ally humiliated" = publicly humiliated?

#74 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Rambis isn't Phil.

none of those will be as good as Phil.

Dont forget the players finally tuned pj out completely b4 mr potato head came in. Pj is gr8 but he is just as stubborn as coach d to allow players to figure things out even when they are playing terrible ala mwp. Plus pj hates young players and sticks to running starters until they on dead legs. Pj wasnt interested in coaching the last time he was on ben c h. I dont if its wise to give him 12 mill or more per yr 2 continue same stubborn approach with current roster. Now if kobe finally gets a solid new cast of role players thats a different story.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#75 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Agree 100% thats why at the time I wanted Shaw the familiarity and trust, plus that am we had when Brown was 1st hired should have still been running the triangle.

I agree with a lot of ppl here I do think were gonna be entering a bit of a dark ages with this team for maybe a few years or a decade, this something I said and I know LakerGAfan mentioned a lot when Brown was hired. The Lakers just have this weird feel even when we got Dwight and CP3 deep down I wasnt too excited I didnt think we would win with em I thought wed be a lot better than this and probably make the Conference finals though.

A decade cmon son lil buss aint that foolish to stay in charge and take that type of criticism for that long. He would do something dumb to himself or just remove himself fromm bball decision s
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#76 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 12, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Add one to the list.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#77 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 11:39 PM

Yup. Definitely the worst ever. Not even up for debate. 

#78 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted April 12, 2013 - 11:42 PM

Yup. Definitely the worst ever. Not even up for debate. 

And guess what? It can get worse.

#79 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 11:59 PM

Dunno how many times we've been trolled this season

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#80 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 385 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:48 AM

This, plus Magic's retirement were the saddest moments in Laker History. The worst part about it is it happened to both of them while they were still playing at an all time level....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users