Photo

Durant Avoids Heaves To Keep Percentage High

Some players want a new rule

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

• 40,407 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 01:38 PM

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/02/kevin-durant-avoids-heaves-at-the-buzzer-to-keep-his-shooting-percentage-high/

You’ll occasionally see NBA players avoid taking desperation heaves at the end of quarters for a couple of reasons: they don’t think they can make the shot, and in some instances, they want to preserve their shooting percentage.

Per Daily Thunder: “We talked about it, about seven weeks ago maybe, couple months ago, and we talked about it,’ Brooks said. ‘I said ‘We have to shoot that shot. There’s still time in the game — shoot it.’ The only time we don’t shoot it is if we’re up and it’s the last seconds because you don’t want to do that. We had that talk and somebody on our team did not take it that same night, and then we all got on him,’ he said. ‘The next night, somebody made that shot.’ [...]

Kevin Durant: ‘It depends on what I’m shooting from the field. First quarter if I’m 4-for-4, I let it go. Third quarter if I’m like 10-for-16, or 10-for-17, I might let it go. But if I’m like 8-for-19, I’m going to go ahead and dribble one more second and let that buzzer go off and then throw it up there. So it depends on how the game’s going.’

Russell Westbrook: ‘No. Nope … If I was considering about [statistics] I’d do a lot of feces different.’”
FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Thoughts?

yo.

#2 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,391 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted February 13, 2013 - 01:43 PM

A lot of people do it not just Durant but at least he admits it

#3 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,810 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 13, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Probably drafted himself in a fantasy league. How absurd would it be if players actually did that? :laughing:

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 02:15 PM

If this was Kobe or Lebron or Melo he'd get destroyed by the media

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted February 13, 2013 - 05:12 PM

If this was Kobe or Lebron or Melo he'd get destroyed by the media

Easily lebron would be called scared kobe would be called selfish And melo not a team player
Posted Image

#6 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,656 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted February 13, 2013 - 05:51 PM

noticed this about lebron a few years back...he'd avoid the ball in those situations, and let someone else jack up those desperation shots from half court back...at least all the times i saw, not that i watched a whole ton of cleveland games, but i feel like i saw enough games/highlights to come to that conclusion...this is something i was watching intentionally because the argument back then before bron bron officially passed kobe as best in the league was about stats, %ages, etc...

noticed kobe would actively seek out the ball to jack these shots...and bron bron was quite the opposite.

doesn't really mean anything, but at the end of day, it speaks to how little effort or care kobe puts into preserving his stats...i remember hearing how kobe had the option to go back in the game after dropping 69+ through 3 quarters against dallas, but because the game was well in hand, he opted to stay out...

Posted Image

• 40,407 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 05:52 PM

i remember hearing how kobe had the option to go back in the game after dropping 69+ through 3 quarters against dallas, but because the game was well in hand, he opted to stay out...

Are you sure it was him and not the coach?

yo.

#8 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,656 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 08:13 PM

from what i heard/read multiple places (still not to say its true) phil asked him if he wanted to go back in

Posted Image

• 40,407 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 08:15 PM

from what i heard/read multiple places

Did you purposely refuse to use sources there ala Broussard (meme)? :laughing:

yo.

#10 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,656 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 08:25 PM

lol, naw, cuz then i would have said sources

Posted Image

#11 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:26 AM

noticed this about lebron a few years back...he'd avoid the ball in those situations, and let someone else jack up those desperation shots from half court back...at least all the times i saw, not that i watched a whole ton of cleveland games, but i feel like i saw enough games/highlights to come to that conclusion...this is something i was watching intentionally because the argument back then before bron bron officially passed kobe as best in the league was about stats, %ages, etc...

noticed kobe would actively seek out the ball to jack these shots...and bron bron was quite the opposite.

doesn't really mean anything, but at the end of day, it speaks to how little effort or care kobe puts into preserving his stats...i remember hearing how kobe had the option to go back in the game after dropping 69+ through 3 quarters against dallas, but because the game was well in hand, he opted to stay out...

This is true. This isn't a knock on Bron at all but he definitely cared when he was in Cleveland and still does care about his FG%. He would purposely shoot after the buzzer sounded so it wouldn't affect his %'s. Kobe on the other hand couldn't care less and let's it fly. Lol.

Posted Image

#12 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,656 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 07:17 PM

This is true. This isn't a knock on Bron at all but he definitely cared when he was in Cleveland and still does care about his FG%. He would purposely shoot after the buzzer sounded so it wouldn't affect his %'s. Kobe on the other hand couldn't care less and let's it fly. Lol.

haha, noticed that as well

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users