Photo

Derrick Rose Listed As Day-To-Day For Return

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,575 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted February 12, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Derrick Rose Won't Return Until He's 110 Percent Healthy

Derrick+Rose+Chicago+Bulls+v+Boston+Celt

Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports
8:42p.m. EST February 12, 2013

DEERFIELD, Ill. — As Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose nears his return from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, the non-timetable timetable remains in place.

Even though Rose is practicing and traveling with the team, there is no specific target date, and the 2010-11 MVP and three-time All-Star is comfortable with that.

After all, he's been patient since the devastating April 28 injury. Rose maintains he won't play until he's ready and not a second sooner.

"I don't have a set date," Rose told USA TODAY Sports on Monday in his first extensive interview since the 2012-13 NBA season began. "I'm not coming back until I'm 110%. Who knows when that can be? It can be within a couple of weeks. It could be next year. It could be any day. It could be any time. It's just that I'm not coming back until I'm ready."

How close is Rose to 110%?

"Right now, probably in the high 80s," he said. "Far away. Far away."

The ambiguity is by design but not with duplicity intended. The Bulls have no reason to target a date. Rose, the humble star, is the face of the franchise and worth the patience.

"Every injury's different. People want to pigeonhole exactly when he returns, and I understand that," Bulls general manager Gar Forman said. "Everybody would like to know. We would like to know the exact date.

"But what we really tried to do was stay true to the process and not skip steps as he went along his rehabilitation. … We wanted to make sure we did what was right for Derrick."

The Bulls, with the exception of Monday's 103-89 loss to the San Antonio Spurs, who were playing without Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, have been good this season. They are fourth in the Eastern Conference and a 1/2-game behind Indiana in the Central Division.

In the meantime, Rose continues to work and contemplates the kind of player he will be when he returns.

"I know it's going to be something good. With all this hard work I've been putting into my game, I'm doing stuff I never did before. I gained 10, 11 pounds of muscle. I don't know what type of player I'm going to be. I just know that I'm going to be very good."

During a wide-ranging discussion, Rose opened up on many topics, including his injury and the impact it had, fatherhood, the bold adidas ad campaign centered on his return and the overwhelming support he has received from Bulls fans.

Check back later today at USATODAY.com for more from the Rose interview.

http://www.usatoday....-bulls/1912521/

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, March 05, 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,598 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted February 12, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Need him to come back so the heat will stop dominating.

#3 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,575 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Derrick Rose Won't Return In Limited Role

Posted Image

By K.C. Johnson, Chicago Tribune reporter

10:30 p.m. CST, February 13, 2013

BOSTON — Derrick Rose doesn't know if he will return to play on his surgically-repaired left knee this season, but he does know this:

"It's really on me to make that decision when I'm going to play again," Rose said late Wednesday. "That's cool that they left it up to me."

Speaking casually and comfortably after the Bulls' 71-69 loss to the Celtics that sends them into the All-Star break eight games above .500, Rose emphasized the communication about his return is collaborative but said he feels no urgency to return until he is mentally and physically ready.

"I'm feeling good," he said. "But if it's where it's taking me a long time and I'm still not feeling right, I don't mind missing this year.

"I would love to (return). That's why I approach my rehab and workouts so hard. I'm trying to get back on the court as quickly as possible. But if I have anything lingering on, it's no point.

"My leg still isn't feeling right. Mentally, I still feel I'm fine. Every week, I'm trying to do something different —stay on my rehab, lift a little more, squat a little more. I'm taking it very serious."

The team said Rose should begin 5-on-5 full-court scrimmaging after the break. Rose said he still can't dunk off stride and has yet to take a hit on his knee during his half-court sessions against teammates.

"I'm not afraid of that," he said. "I know that's going to happen. That's the way I play. I'm not scared of taking a hit at all."

Rose also said suggestions he will become more of a grounded facilitator and jump shooter are overstated.

"I'm working on my shot, but you're not going to label me as a shooter," he said. "My game is always going to be driving."

Rose said he has suffered no setbacks and consistently pushes himself during rehabilitation. He estimated he has put on 10 pounds of muscle.

"I'm feeling pretty good, man," he said. "I'm slowly getting back in the mix. The other day, we played three-on-three and one-on-one. I felt good out there. I'm not trying to rush myself still. I'm still trying to be patient."

Rose is impressed that the Bulls have fared well in his absence.

"It's great, man, knowing that they're winning games," he said. "It seems like they're fighting for me so I don't have anything but respect for how hard they've been working."

The Bulls have maintained a conservative stance regarding Rose's return throughout. The only official timeline they have given is the 8- to 12-month range following his May 12 surgery. Following that, there is a chance Rose sits until 2013-14.

Luol Deng, who endured pressure to return in 2009 when he had a stress fracture in his right tibia, said Rose is doing the right thing.

"We have to let him decide," Deng said. "He knows his body better than anybody. Everybody wants to see him back. You have to look at where we are as a team, how he's feeling. As someone who has been through injuries, I feel like you have to make a decision for yourself and how you feel and not so much on how everybody is pressuring you."

Rose said he feels no pressure.

"It's exciting that all my hard work is going to pay off one day," Rose said. "I just don't know when."

kcjohnson@tribune.com

Twitter @kcjhoop

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0214-d-rose-bulls-celtics-chicago--2-20130214,0,7620928.story

#4 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,575 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Derrick Rose Would Be Okay Missing Entire Season

Posted Image

Derrick Rose will take part in five-on-five practices with the Bulls after this weekend’s All-Star break, but he remains in no hurry to return to the court. Rose has missed the entire season after tearing his ACL in the first round of 2012 NBA Playoffs.

Rose told USA Today on Monday that he is still “far away” from returning.

On Wednesday night, Rose said that dunking is one of his remaining hurdles.

“I know if I can dunk off stride, I’ll be out there playing," Rose said. "Right now, I can’t.”

Rose has not taken any hits to his left knee while working out on the court, but he’s “not afraid of that. I know that’s going to happen, that’s the way I play.”

Rose insists that he won’t change his aggressive penetration style of play when he finally does return.

“I’m working on my shot, but I’m not going to be labeled as a shooter,” said Rose. “I’m going to be someone that can consistently hit a jump shot, but my game is always going to be driving.”

Rose will listen to those around him, the front office, coaching staff and trainers, but he said “it’s really on me to make the decision.”

The Bulls have managed well without Rose, remaining neck-and-neck with the Pacers for first place in the Central Division, and the 2011 MVP feels no pressure to return earlier than he should.

“None at all,” said Rose. “That’s the last thing that I’m thinking about. I know it’s all on me, I’ve just got to make a decision when I’m ready.

“I’m feeling good. But if it’s taking me a long time and I’m not feeling right, I don’t mind missing this year.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226107/Rose-Would-Be-Okay-Missing-Entire-Season

#5 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,575 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Derrick Rose Returns To 5-On-5 Scrimmages

Posted Image

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter

7:23 p.m. CST, February 18, 2013
A sense of doubt has evolved into a hint of optimism about Derrick Rose's comeback from knee surgery.

The Bulls guard, who last week mentioned the possibility of sitting out the season, appeared to take another step Monday as he participated in 5-on-5 drills during practice.

"He was able to get out there, and it's good," teammate Kirk Hinrich said. "It was something that (we) as a team needed, as far as every individual coming off the (All-Star) break needed to scrimmage a little bit. And I'm sure it was good for (Rose), helpful to ... give him a good gauge of where he's at."

Coach Tom Thibodeau said Rose did "what everyone else did'' and said his participation wasn't out of the ordinary based on the previously stated outlook. The plan all along was to have Rose return to 5-on-5 action after the break.

Rose cited his inability to dunk as the reason he knew he hadn't fully recovered, and Joakim Noah said Rose still wasn't dunking Monday. The Bulls went through three scrimmages of seven to eight minutes, during which Rose ran full-court. It was unclear how much contact Rose endured or how much pressure he put on his left knee.

"He's doing what he should be doing,'' Thibodeau said. "He's focused on his rehab, doing more and more. We just have to be patient. When he's ready, he'll go.''

Thibodeau reiterated how his players need to pick up their intensity after dropping five of the last seven games and six of the last 10. A Rose return would instantly inject life into the 30-22 Bulls, although they've performed admirably at times in his absence while currently holding the Eastern Conference's fifth seed.

Until Rose steps on the court for a game, his teammates have to lean on each other.

"When we're right and we're playing the right way, we've proved that we can beat everybody,'' Noah said. "We've also proved that if we don't come with the right (attitude), don't play together, we can lose to anybody.''

The return of Hinrich to the lineup for Tuesday night's game in New Orleans should provide a boost. The Bulls went 2-5 with Hinrich sidelined by a right elbow infection and committed 15.6 turnovers per game in the losses.

With all due respect to Nate Robinson and his scoring ability, Hinrich runs the offense more efficiently and is a better defender.

"He's a huge part of what we do, and it just feels good to have Kirk back,'' Noah said. "What he brings to our team, it's hard to measure. His defensive intensity, the ball movement ... it's all big.''

The Bulls have lost two straight and take on a 19-34 Hornets team that has won its last two and is 5-5 over the last 10. Four of the Bulls' next six opponents have sub-.500 records, but the Heat (36-14) and Thunder (39-14) are in that stretch too.

"We have to clean some things up offensively and defensively,'' Thibodeau said. "But the biggest challenge is going to be the level of intensity, to get that back.''

vxmcclure@tribune.com

Twitter @vxmcclure23

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-rose-hinrich-bulls-20130218,0,2544456.story

#6 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,575 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Russell Westbrook: Derrick Rose 'Getting Better, Almost Close To Coming Back'

Derrick+Rose+Philadelphia+76ers+v+Chicag

12:20 a.m. CST, February 25, 2013
OKLAHOMA CITY — Add Russell Westbrook to those who speculate Derrick Rose will return on his surgically-repaired left knee sometime this season.

"I see that he's getting better," the Thunder's All-Star point guard said. "He's almost close to coming back."

Then again, Westbrook said he hasn't talked much lately with his summer workout partner. So as with most things regarding Rose, who knows?

This is for sure: The Bulls offense, dead on arrival Sunday night at Chesapeake Energy Arena, could use him badly. Posting season lows for shooting percentage, field goals and assists, the Bulls meekly fell 102-72 to the Thunder.

The Bulls also lost Taj Gibson to a sprained left knee in the fourth quarter. He will undergo further testing on Monday in Chicago.

"The way we competed was embarrassing," Joakim Noah said.

That's three times in the last five games that the Bulls have failed to crack 73 points. The Bulls needed a late rush to avoid the franchise record of 23.4 percent shooting, set during a franchise-low, 49-point debacle against the Heat on April 10, 1999.

As it was, they shot 29.1 percent with 14 assists and 25 field goals. In fact, the Bulls' offensive highlight was Rose working himself into a lather during his pregame workout, including several dunks.

"We have to be mentally tougher," coach Tom Thibodeau said. "When you face a little adversity and you're short-handed, you have to dig down and get the job done. Our level of intensity has to be much higher. And we have to get that right quickly."

Not surprisingly, Thibodeau and players rejected the notion that without Rose and Kirk Hinrich, who sat for the 10th time in 11 games, they are wearing down mentally from the burden of playing short-handed.

"Offensive execution, everyone can do that," Noah said.

The Bulls actually defended Kevin Durant well. The league's leading scorer managed 19 points on just 6-for-19 shooting but grabbed 16 rebounds.

Westbrook had 23 points and Serge Ibaka's double-double featured 17 points and 10 rebounds. Plus, the Thunder aren't just Durant and Westbrook.

"They have three guys who are under the radar and don't get the credit they deserve," Thibodeau said. "When you look at (Thabo) Sefolosha, (Kendrick) Perkins and (Nick) Collison, they bring a lot of toughness and intangibles to a team. They make a team function well."

Without Rose, the Bulls have been forced to rely on contributions from myriad players as well. Those contributions were as absent as Rose on Sunday.

Gibson missed his first eight shots. Carlos Boozer managed two points. Nate Robinson missed 12 of 14 shots.

"We took the wrong shots," Thibodeau said. "We were quick shooting. We weren't moving the ball side to side. We have to execute."

The Bulls, who finished a stretch of 10 of 12 road games, continue to play with low energy offensively.

"It's very humbling to lose like that," Noah said. "We had no intensity. We took steps backwards. We've played a lot better this year. There's no excuse. We just have to bounce back ASAP."

kcjohnson@tribune.com

Twitter @kcjhoop

http://www.chicagotr...0,3145373.story

#7 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,575 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:39 PM

John Lucas Confident Derrick Rose Could Return As Strong As Peterson

MILWAUKEE – John Lucas III has kept up with the rehabilitation of Derrick Rose, his former Chicago Bulls teammate and close friend. In Lucas’ mind, Rose could return from his torn ACL as dominant as Adrian Peterson did for the Minnesota Vikings this NFL past season.

“I think he might come back better than AP,” Lucas told RealGM.

Ultimately, Lucas is hoping for Rose to make a full recovery, both physically and mentally. When Rose does come back, however, Lucas is confident in the 2011 NBA MVP being a better all-around player – with elevated athleticism.

“I just want him to come back 100 percent, come back when he’s ready,” Lucas said. “I think he’s going to come back faster and stronger, more athletic. He had time to rest up, get his body right. I just want him to come back when he’s 100 physically, but also 110 percent mentally [ready] to come back.

“That’s one of my really good friends and at the end of the day I want to see what’s best for him.”

http://basketball.re...ong-As-Peterson

#8 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,575 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Derrick Rose Sits On Bulls' Bench For First Game Since Injury

ox281292594282049582.jpg

10:54 p.m. CST, March 3, 2013
INDIANAPOLIS — Eighteen years ago this month, Michael Jordan, wearing No. 45, made his dramatic comeback from retirement and a baseball experiment at this city's old Market Square Arena.

In this age of instantaneous reaction and social media frenzy, Derrick Rose caused his own stir simply by donning a sport coat and slacks to sit on the bench for the first time this season and since tearing his left ACL on April 28. Rose spent several stoppages sharing observations with teammates and jumped to his feet often to celebrate positive plays.

But ultimately, both Rose and coach Tom Thibodeau downplayed any significance to Rose's decision and said it may not occur regularly. And Rose's front-row seat only underlined the Bulls' 97-92 gritty loss to the Pacers.

The Bulls missed two opportunities to tie in the waning seconds when Marco Belinelli — stellar all game — missed an off-balance 3-pointer and Joakim Noah failed to corral the loose ball on a rebound. David West, who led all scorers with 31 points, iced matters with two free throws with 0.5 seconds left.

"I'm proud of the way we competed," Noah said.

The Pacers' third straight victory over their Central Division rival assured them of winning the season series for the first time since 2003-04. It came with Rose, Kirk Hinrich, Taj Gibson and Richard Hamilton all sidelined by injuries and with Luol Deng and Nate Robinson playing through theirs.

Rose's presence only made his absence sting more.

"I know it's tough for him to be on the bench because I know how badly he wants to play," Noah said. "It feels good to have him out there."

Trailing by five with 3 minutes left, Luol Deng threw down his second flying dunk of the night and later fed Belinelli, who scored 20, with a full-court pass to bring the Bulls within one again. But George Hill sank two free throws and the Bulls committed a shot-clock violation.

West then rebounded his own miss and scored with 32.2 seconds left. Noah missed on a wild drive and the Bulls were forced to foul Hill, who split free throws with 25.6 seconds remaining for a six-point lead.

"We put shooting on the floor and have to execute," Thibodeau said.

Jimmy Butler, who scored a career-high 20 points, sank a 3-pointer. Hill missed both free throws with 13.6 seconds left, presenting the final, futile chance.

The Bulls trailed by 13 early and added Carlos Boozer's foul trouble atop all the injuries. Enter Vladimir Radmanovic and Nazr Mohammed.

No, really.

A lineup of those two, Indianapolis native Marquis Teague, Belinelli and Butler energized the Bulls, pulling them within seven on several occasions, including at halftime.

Radmanovic powered home a baseline dunk. Mohammed brought the starters watching from the bench — and Rose — to their feet by blocking a Paul George dunk and dunking over George on another trip.

"We were flat," Thibodeau said. "Those guys got us back into it. We rode them."

kcjohnson@tribune.com

Twitter @kcjhoop

http://www.chicagotr...0,6852182.story

#9 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,575 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Derrick Rose Listed As Day-To-Day For Return

SAN ANTONIO—After sitting on the bench for Sunday’s loss at Indiana, speculation grew that Derrick Rose was inching closer to an imminent return to game action.

Whether intentional or not, the Bulls head coach didn’t do much to make that subside with a few key words before Tuesday’s practice at the AT&T Center: “Day-to-day.”

Now, it’s important to put things in context, as Thibodeau was explaining the process that Rose would have to go through to be completely medically cleared to play.

“There’s a lot of people that have to weigh in on it and obviously he knows his body. Everybody’s got to sign off on it. Whenever he’s ready, he’s ready. Nothing has changed for us. For our team, I want them to continue to concentrate on improvement and our opponent, and for Derrick, I want him to continue to concentrate on his rehab. We’re 60 games into this now. I think going into the season, we had a lot of question marks. I think we have more answers now. We’ve figured out, I think, who we are. We’re heading down the stretch, we’ve got to continue to improve and then we’ll go from there,” he said. “It’s day-to-day. Whenever he’s ready, he’s ready. We just want him to continue to improve, focus on his rehab and then, when he’s ready to go, we’ll all know. Everyone has to remain patient.”

As Thibodeau indicated, knowingly or not, there isn’t much time left in the regular season for Rose to play—presumably first on a minutes limit—so his comments will only fuel the fire of those who believe that the former league MVP will play any day now.

But while Thibodeau’s exact words, by definition, could be interpreted as the injured point guard’s status changing, the rest of what the coach had to say meshes with the consistent message he’s said throughout the campaign.

[RELATED: Bulls' absences continue to pile up]

When Rose does return to action, at least one teammate believes it will be a fairly seamless transition—and one directly into the starting lineup—perhaps because of what he’s witnessed during five-on-five practice sessions at the Berto Center.

“These guys, especially the unit he’ll be playing with [the Bulls’ starters], they played with him last year. I don’t think it’ll be too big of an adjustment,” said Kirk Hinrich, Rose’s former and current teammate. “He’s that type of player who’s going to make plays for himself and everybody else. It’ll just make it easier, I think. There’s not going to be much integrating.”

http://www.csnchicag...nce-rose-status

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users