#41 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I face palmed myself when I read that.

Dirk, Amare and Shaq are the three best big men he has ever had. Shaq was out of his prime, but he was still able to score almost 20 on 60% FG. Nash had problems running an offense with O'Neal down low, because he took up space where Nash looked to drive, and he demanded the post-entry pass, something Nash doesn't necessarily give (as his offense ran through him).

So, when Dwight is down low, hoping Nash throws the post-entry...and Nash is hoping Howard comes up to set a screen, then rolls to the rim and relies on Nash to get him a pass...there's a conflict, so Nash finds a way to sneak to the rim.

Well, sneaking to the rim only puts extra defenders in the paint, which helps a guy like Dirk, even someone like Amare (anyone want to find that article about Stoudemire saying he was going to shoot more threes with Nash on the floor?)...but with Shaq? Howard? It gives those extra defenders "longer arms" to contest all passes five feet or less from Nash. That's why spacing is crucial.

Both are to blame. Nash wants Dwight to slide out of the paint there...but he can't, because then he's not even a decoy...just another Joel Anthony on the floor.

Meanwhile, Dwight wants Nash to throw post-entry, then play like Jameer Nelson, and that's another conflict of interest.

Nash and Howard belong in the P&R only. Nash drives to create for shooters. Kobe creates for Nash and Dwight. Howard kicks out to shooters. That's how it has to happen. Any other map will lead us to a fishing pond in mid-April.

#42 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,701 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 11, 2013 - 02:16 PM

The issue here is that Dwight is sucking. Bynum last year was much better than Howard this year. If Dwight was dominating and the Lakers were winning games no one would be saying anything.

The ultimate problem with this season is that Dwight is severely underperforming. That's why we're out of the playoff hunt.

i'd still be whining about the purple pantyhose. Looks like something from a bad scifi movie.

Edited by LakerGeezer, February 11, 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#43 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 11, 2013 - 02:59 PM

I miss Bynum. lol.

we didn't lose bynum.

#44 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:16 PM

I miss Bynum. lol.

I don't

#45 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:24 PM

I miss a big man who has decent footwork and a soft touch on offense, commands the paint on defense by cutting off drives and altering shots, allowing his perimeter defenders to take calculated gambles on their guys.

#46 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,856 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Does Howard get along with anyone on the Lakers?

The guys who print out his Check every two weeks

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#47 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Both are at fault, one on each end of the court.

Dwight has SO many reasons to yell at Nash for his pathetic defense.

Nash has SO many reasons for Dwight's lack of effort setting and rolling out of screens.

Now, when he's asking Dwight to get open, he's telling him to leak back out. Not going to happen, because Dwight isn't Amare or Gasol. We don't want Howard to take a 15-footer.

Nash had this same issue with Shaq. The only difference was, Nash wasn't going to yell at Shaq.

-------------

Nash has to learn how to play with a big man that can't shoot the ball. He has to realize that he can't drive, continue the drive behind the backboard, and expect NOT to get caught. Spacing becomes very, very limited once you get into the paint, and it's easy to stop a small PG from making passes back out to the perimeter, especially when he's not very athletic and is 39 years old.

At the same time, Dwight has to utilize the P&R much, much better. He has to understand who his PG is. Nash, Dre Miller, CP3...these guys need a big like Howard to be that second piece in the P&R, because headed back to the rim, a big man looking for a clean pass is so damn dangerous, it's either a bucket or a foul as long as the pass is thrown correctly AND he has the hands to catch it.

And really, I'm not going to close this post out without mentioning D'Antoni not being able to make adjustments. Kobe shouldn't be the only player able to get the ball into Dwight. I realize Kobe knows how to play with bigs in the post, as he had Shaq for years, but someone has to tell Nash his connection with Howard has to be more P&R (and tell Howard he needs to get his ass out there and set screens and play like an offensive-minded Kendrick Perkins).

Problem is with teams like MIA, they blitz the PnR, which doesn't allow Nash to turn the corner and find Howard.

Posted Image

#48 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Problem is with teams like MIA, they blitz the PnR, which doesn't allow Nash to turn the corner and find Howard.

That's why we have Kobe, and should have shooters that make shots on a consistent basis.

We didn't need the P&R to nearly beat the Heat yesterday, but we aren't going to beat a team like that if we allow 30+ points from two players in their five, get outrebounded, and allow them to shoot 55%.

An effective P&R probably gives us another 10 points, makes the game closer and maybe gives us the win, but in a seven-game series, we need a defensive system AND Ron needs to play smarter defense on a guy like LeBron. You don't attempt to ride Bron's hip if you're closer to 40 years old than he is...dumbest thing I saw yesterday from Artest.

#49 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Zeus
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Why can't Dwight work on his jumper? We see the elite players(Kobe, Durant, and Lebron) add new aspects to their game evey year. Its fun to watch Kobe improve his left, Lebron develope a 3 ball, or even see Durant perfect his jumper. Is it just not possible for Dwight to hit a 15 footer consistently because of his size? I feel like it is possible. The day Dwight came to LA, I was as happy as anybody but if this guy isn't willing to improve his game or work with a guy as great as Steve Nash, im not sure i want him to be in purple in gold despite his track record, let alone a max contract

#50 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Why can't Dwight work on his jumper? We see the elite players(Kobe, Durant, and Lebron) add new aspects to their game evey year. Its fun to watch Kobe improve his left, Lebron develope a 3 ball, or even see Durant perfect his jumper. Is it just not possible for Dwight to hit a 15 footer consistently because of his size? I feel like it is possible. The day Dwight came to LA, I was as happy as anybody but if this guy isn't willing to improve his game or work with a guy as great as Steve Nash, im not sure i want him to be in purple in gold despite his track record, let alone a max contract

He has no jumper
Posted Image

#51 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,856 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Wait till he signs a max deal with the Lakers in the offseason, then he will be real "motivated" huh?

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#52 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:32 PM

He has no jumper

Yes, thank you for that

#53 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yes, thank you for that

Why even bother improving or developing it? We dont need another pau.
Posted Image

#54 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:39 PM

For the same reason Shaq didn't work on his. Some players belong in the post.

#55 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Why even bother improving or developing it? We dont need another pau.

It was just an example of something he could improve on. The best players in league improve every year on something. The more pressing thing us obviously his post game

#56 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,737 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:07 PM

It was just an example of something he could improve on. The best players in league improve every year on something. The more pressing thing us obviously his post game

He has no jumper :laughing:

#57 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,118 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:19 PM

they all have guard skills & abilities while D12 is a big solely! he is incapable of adapting his gm that fully now. has to come naturally 1st.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#58 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Zankyou no Terror

• 8,411 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:07 PM

This season is incredibly frustrating.

Edited by Hey, February 11, 2013 - 07:07 PM.

MMiRi9s.png

#59 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,224 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Howard never wanted to go to L.A., according to Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal, who hears the Magic were threatening to trade him to the Lakers if he didn't decline the early-termination option on his contract at last year's trade deadline.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/lloyd/jason-lloyd-around-the-association-1.371962

#60 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 08:01 PM

http://www.ohio.com/sports/lloyd/jason-lloyd-around-the-association-1.371962

This is old
Posted Image