Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,835 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted February 11, 2013 - 02:34 PM

I still keep howard for the future.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#42 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,616 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted February 11, 2013 - 02:43 PM

Look him in the gym with Pau & Kareem.
His offense was exposed in the finals & it hasn't improved.
Heck, set up a mini camp with Hakeem, it's the thing to do nowadays.

2hf753r.jpg

#43 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Dwight Howard's offense is fine. There's 3 elements here that are affecting it: spacing, his effort, and injuries.

Remember my earlier post about the PnR leading to deep post position for Howard but the spacing messing it up (during the Heat game). Here's a good video which highlights a few key places that illustrate the Magic using the PnR to lead into a 4 out 1 in type of offensive set for D12 and look how good he can be when everything falls into place.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4ZE55dg_sbs

If you rewatch the Heat game you can see the Lakers running some of these plays, especially the high screen then cut to the post, but it's just not executed well at all. Our lack of shooters makes it worse.

#44 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:08 PM

He's too lazy for anything to work out for us. If he himself won't fight for post position against the likes of Chris Bosh or Shane Battier then there's no way we can play through him. As the game wore on, he became less active on the block and on some possessions simply just stood around and called for the ball, no seal on his man or anything. He's also been setting half-assed screens this entire season, just awful picks that do nothing at all. Yes, he's been injured, but these plays are simply a matter of effort. Even Steve Nash has set better picks than Dwight this season, such a far cry from his play in Orlando when he was THE best PnR big in the entire league.

He's just not engaged or active on the floor, really sad to see. Looks to be a combination of the coaching and his injuries, he just looks completely tuned out on the floor. It's like watching Bynum all over again.

Let me know the next time Howard grabs a rebound in traffic. I mean going up and snatching it off the rim over guys...... the rebounds he gets are for the most part uncontested
How can a guy who has 3 moves to the basket demand the ball?
During the Finals against us...we would wait until he caught the ball in the post then strip him as other teams do now...this has nothing to do with injuries....he has not developed additional moves with footwork to free hinself up...... what about a 8-10 foot jumper?? 6-7 years in the league and no jumper??
The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#45 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Let me know the next time Howard grabs a rebound in traffic. I mean going up and snatching it off the rim over guys...... the rebounds he gets are for the most part uncontested
During the Finals against us...we would wait until he caught the ball in the post then strip him as other teams do now...this has nothing to do with injuries....he has not developed additional moves with footwork to free hinself up...... what about a 8-10 foot jumper?? 6-7 years in the league and no jumper??

Do you want another Pau on this team? Shaq didn't shoot jumpers either. You know why? Because guys like Shaq and Dwight stay in the post where they are used to. If I had to watch Dwight shoot mid range jumpers all the time I would pull my hair out.

#46 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 13, 2013 - 03:48 PM

Do you want another Pau on this team? Shaq didn't shoot jumpers either. You know why? Because guys like Shaq and Dwight stay in the post where they are used to. If I had to watch Dwight shoot mid range jumpers all the time I would pull my hair out.

Who said anything about all the time? Howard needs another shot another move....how can anyone deny this??
I know why Shaq didn't shoot jumpers....DO YOU??
Because at 26 years old NO ONE and I mean NO ONE could stop him in the post. He used his size to create space and his skill to finish including handling the ball and passing, sealing his man off, drop steps and a unapproachable jump hook
None of this is true of Howard..... Howard only has half the skill set that Shaq had and 1/4 of the attitude...... watch the videos of Shaq in his early thru 3Peat years and if you can't see the dif ........ then it can never be explained to you

And Yeah another 26-30 year old Pau wouldn't hurt
The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#47 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 13, 2013 - 04:00 PM

He has developed quite a bit since the '09 Finals, I wouldn't go that far. Back then literally all he could do was dunk the ball and make lay-ups. Since then he's add a bit of a post-game, a hook shot from either hand, and his go-to move the last three years which has been a face-up sweeping hook with his left hand. The problem is that he's too injured to react and move as quickly as he used to offensively. You can clearly see his injury is limiting him offensively, he doesn't move the same as he did last season. I still remember the game in Orlando where he outright dominated Bynum on the low block with a variety of moves. Just completely obliterated him.

Howard is never going to be a big-man that you can simply feed in the post and tell him to go to work, that's not his game. He's a face-up big man and his injuries have sapped him of the ability to play like that effectively. He doesn't move quickly enough or get as high as he needs to really dominate inside like he did in Orlando. It has everything to do with injuries. Him getting stripped on the low block is a combination of his lack of quickness (due to injury), lack of spacing (due to our team), and mostly just a lack of playing smart. If he just kept the ball high, then he'd be fine. I'm honestly shocked that no one has worked with him on this so far this season. I guess it's to be expected with our horrible coaching staff.

I don't mind his lack of offense, but I can't excuse a lack of basic effort. That's what bother me the most. I'm not expecting him to carry us offensively, but I do expect him to set solid screens, roll hard, and to give effort on both ends of the floor. I don't want to see another Andrew Bynum.

#48 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 15, 2013 - 12:02 PM

And he cant do it consistently because his legs/his body wont let him. You're not going to get the same Howard who gives effort every time he steps on the floor like when he was in orlando so you guys need to stop looking for it. Cause its not happening right now

Are you seriously trying to excuse his god awful screens? WTF.

It is EFFORT. He is able bodied enough to set a proper screen. He just doesn't want to. His body and legs are capable enough to set a [expletive]ing screen dude.

#49 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,487 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted February 15, 2013 - 12:13 PM

Well, I wasn't talking about his screens but ok.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users